Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Help! My new boss is a Landmark coach!
Posted by: Shrimpboat ()
Date: December 04, 2006 11:46PM

Thanks! I have to say that this is really perversely fascinating to me. I really feel for those of you who have had a friend or loved one sucked in by this crap. For me, it's a bit of an intellectual excercise because I don't have an emotional attachment to my boss (although, she does seem like a nice person...I feel sorry for her, but my sympathy is limited by the fact that it's making my workplace uncomfortable...).

I just got "Outrageous Betrayal" from the library and I've been cruising the forums here for more insight about LE. It's crazy that I'd never heard of est before, or Werner Erhard, even though it was obviously a big news story. I was too young at the time, I guess. Also, I've managed to avoid most new-age mumbo-jumbo in my life up 'til now so I probably wouldn't have made a note of it anyway unless if effected someone I knew.

When my boss first started talking about Landmark, I could immediately tell it was something of that sort but I figured it was some kind of harmless touchy-feely encounter group. Turns out that it's actually a rather dangerous form of amatuer group psychotherapy? No wonder her behaviour has been so erratic! I really think this has messed her up a bit. Yeesh. This definitely makes me feel better, though, because now at least I can recognize what is going on in our interactions.

It's funny, but after my really bad week with her when I kept thinking I was going to get canned, one of the things I said to my parents when describing the situation was "It's like she's trying to break me down mentally!" Really! Guess I should have trusted my instincts a bit more...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: December 05, 2006 01:48AM

Thanks! I have to say that this is really perversely fascinating to me. I really feel for those of you who have had a friend or loved one sucked in by this crap. For me, it's a bit of an intellectual excercise because I don't have an emotional attachment to my boss (although, she does seem like a nice person...I feel sorry for her, but my sympathy is limited by the fact that it's making my workplace uncomfortable...).

I just got "Outrageous Betrayal" from the library and I've been cruising the forums here for more insight about LE. It's crazy that I'd never heard of est before, or Werner Erhard, even though it was obviously a big news story. I was too young at the time, I guess. Also, I've managed to avoid most new-age mumbo-jumbo in my life up 'til now so I probably wouldn't have made a note of it anyway unless if effected someone I knew.

When my boss first started talking about Landmark, I could immediately tell it was something of that sort but I figured it was some kind of harmless touchy-feely encounter group. Turns out that it's actually a rather dangerous form of amatuer group psychotherapy? No wonder her behaviour has been so erratic! I really think this has messed her up a bit. Yeesh. This definitely makes me feel better, though, because now at least I can recognize what is going on in our interactions.

It's funny, but after my really bad week with her when I kept thinking I was going to get canned, one of the things I said to my parents when describing the situation was "It's like she's trying to break me down mentally!" Really! Guess I should have trusted my instincts a bit more...

We will be most interested to hear what you think after reading Pressman's OUTRAGEOUS BETRAYAL and watching the French documentary expose film piece.

Posted by: Maggie ()
Date: December 06, 2006 02:10PM

[quote="Shrimpboat"... Turns out that it's actually a rather dangerous form of amatuer group psychotherapy? No wonder her behaviour has been so erratic! I really think this has messed her up a bit. [/quote]

Definitely dangerous.. for many people whether they recognize it or not. They really think they are doing good in their lives as well for others. But then again, so did the members of Jonestown.

Posted by: thunderbyrd ()
Date: December 06, 2006 07:32PM

if working for your state is like it is where i work, once you've put in your probation, you can get on an "inner mobility list" and change jobs fairly easily, if you want to. sounds like you've only got a week or so to go, you ought to stick it out and then transfer.

Posted by: Shrimpboat ()
Date: December 08, 2006 12:44AM

Well, thunderbyrd, I've been scanning the new job postings for the last several months and haven't seen anything I'm interested in. The other interviews I've had were outside the state-job world. This is kind of a dead-end job, so maybe it's best that circumstances are driving me out because I don't really see myself doing this in another year anyway, LEC boss or no. At least when I leave I'll get paid out for the vacation time I earned and leave with a healthy final paycheck...

Anyway, back to the topic at hand:

I ploughed through "Outrageous Betrayal" and I found it absolutely fascinating! I haven't had a chance to finishing the French doc yet, but I checked out the first 10 minutes or so. Equally interesting. This whole LGAT world is a creepy subculture that I had no idea existed.

Personally, after doing only a bit of cursory research on LEC and finding so much negative info, I can't imagine why ANYBODY would get involved in this. I mean, if the course costs several hundred bucks, don't people even read up on it before they go? Just a simple google search brings up this website straight away. But if somebody you really trust gives you the hard-sell on it you might go in more unsuspecting.

I think part of the reason I've avoided hearing about these things before is that me and most of my friends don't make much money, and don't have it to waste on stuff like this!

Posted by: elena ()
Date: December 08, 2006 01:58AM

Shrimpboat
This whole LGAT world is a creepy subculture that I had no idea existed.

It's like some netherworld with odd philosophical underpinnings only the inhabitants aren't philosophers and don't know how to evaluate or put the information into any cohesion or context (I'm beginning to hate that word).

Personally, after doing only a bit of cursory research on LEC and finding so much negative info, I can't imagine why ANYBODY would get involved in this. I mean, if the course costs several hundred bucks, don't people even read up on it before they go? Just a simple google search brings up this website straight away. But if somebody you really trust gives you the hard-sell on it you might go in more unsuspecting.

Beats the sh*t out of me, too.

I think part of the reason I've avoided hearing about these things before is that me and most of my friends don't make much money, and don't have it to waste on stuff like this!

Yes, you might be on to something here. I'm fairly certain they have some way of discouraging members from recruiting those without deep pockets from which they can finance expensive "programs." Unlike the earlier days, when cults targeted (mostly impoverished) kids, these ("prosperity cult") groups target the upwardly-mobile who are "strivers" and social-climbers. It's easier to hook into their ambitions, I imagine. Like the liquor companies who survive and thrive not off the occasional or social drinker but off heavy drinkers, Landmark-type cults want the so-called "seminar-junkies" who are perpetually "enrolled" in one of their stupid programs and though they'll take your $450, they're really after the thousands they get from their repeat customers.

Ellen

Posted by: concernedfriend ()
Date: December 08, 2006 07:26AM

Shrimpboat

Exactly!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.