Current Page: 3 of 9
Landmark Columnist Writes Letter to Self
Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: November 26, 2006 12:42AM

Hmmm. I took the column at face value. If it's satire, it's a perfect depiction, but I agree w/ the post above, more exaggeration would have helped. Because, actually, as "far out" as it is, it's plausible. That's what lgats do to people, as seen/experienced by many of us.

I'm on the edge of my seat . . .

Hi Laura! I'm thinking of printing your column and taking it to a holiday event where some lgat family/friends will be and asking if they know who wrote it (could be anyone they know from the lgat - everyone speaks and thinks the same). Maybe presented as a puzzle, they might see the CRAZINESS of it. Then again, maybe not.

skeptic

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hampton ()
Date: November 26, 2006 02:15AM

Hi Laura,

Thanks for coming to this forum. I thought that your column was credible, particularly since you had so dutifully created an enrollment conversation, exactly as Landmark's technology prescribes:

1.) Sharing your inauthenticity
2.) Sharing the cost and impact of that inauthenticity
3.) Creating a new possibility

Landmark would be very proud of you! Have you now become profoundly related to your readers? But more important for Landmark, have you registered into the Advanced Course, and have you had enrollment conversations with all of your friends and family so they will register? Are you spending your free time assisting for this multinational for-profit business?

Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: November 26, 2006 04:28AM

guys, remember that full frontal attacks tend to have an alienating effect.

Posted by: hampton ()
Date: November 26, 2006 07:35AM

guys, remember that full frontal attacks tend to have an alienating effect.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean. We still don't know if the original article was serious or satire, so my final comments are completely in jest.

Posted by: Laura Marble ()
Date: November 26, 2006 10:06AM

elena
[Generally more illuminating but not always. Especially if you've taken up the tricks and tactics of the so-called Landmark "education." Which is it? Sincere or tongue-in-cheek?
What's anthropology have to do with it?

Sincerely insincere. Tongue-in-cheek. Poking fun at my own insecurities (and therefore at the human condition) in a warm and, I hope, amusing manner. I genuinely have been at a crossroads, lately, with my column. The purpose of the column, for those who don't know -- which may be everyone here -- is for me to step outside of my comfort zone in a different way each week and then write about the experience. I've been doing that for a year, now, and as you can perhaps imagine, stuff that used to be frightening (and therefore good column material) is now rather humdrum. So although I love this kind of writing as much as I ever have, the idea generation part has been more challenging, recently. I was kind of stuck, and I'm glad to have reached the conclusion that if I want the column to be as stimulating as it was for me a year ago I need to re-evaluate what is and is not now in my comfort zone and take things up a notch. I would have come to this conclusion by myself without attending the Landmark Forum, though three days away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life does help. So ... for that week's column, the boundary I crossed was attending this seminar. I read up on it in length before going, and I told my friends, jokingly, to save me if I end up indoctrinated in cult stuff. I didn't intend to promote or censure the forum with my column. I meant to offer candid and witty commentary about how hard it is to be totally open with people and not censor yourself because you're afraid of what others will think.

And when I said I was interested in your comments in an anthropological sort of way, I just meant that everyone (with the exception of one who hadn't written yet) seemed to interpret my column as meaning I'd been brainwashed -- and I'm assuming the fact that you are all in a cult education forum has something to do with that interpretation. (Frankly, the forum was fun enough, but it didn't do all that much for me in a fireworks kind of way. It gave me a few interesting concepts to chew on.)

Date: November 26, 2006 10:10AM

As you know, as a writer, when you write text, people are going to interpret it.[/quote

Yep, that's part of the bargain.

Date: November 26, 2006 10:19AM

skeptic
Hmmm. I took the column at face value. If it's satire, it's a perfect depiction, but I agree w/ the post above, more exaggeration would have helped. Because, actually, as "far out" as it is, it's plausible. That's what lgats do to people, as seen/experienced by many of us.

I'm on the edge of my seat . . .

Well, how exciting to be so eagerly awaited. :)

skeptic
Hi Laura! I'm thinking of printing your column and taking it to a holiday event where some lgat family/friends will be and asking if they know who wrote it (could be anyone they know from the lgat - everyone speaks and thinks the same). Maybe presented as a puzzle, they might see the CRAZINESS of it. Then again, maybe not.

skeptic

Go ahead, use it however you'd like. I have no shame.

Date: November 26, 2006 10:42AM

quote="hampton"]Hi Laura,

Thanks for coming to this forum. I thought that your column was credible, particularly since you had so dutifully created an enrollment conversation, exactly as Landmark's technology prescribes:

1.) Sharing your inauthenticity
2.) Sharing the cost and impact of that inauthenticity
3.) Creating a new possibility[/quote]

Yep, I used their letter-writing format.[/quote]

hampton
:Landmark would be very proud of you! Have you now become profoundly related to your readers?

Har, har. :)

hampton
But more important for Landmark, have you registered into the Advanced Course, and have you had enrollment conversations with all of your friends and family so they will register? Are you spending your free time assisting for this multinational for-profit business?

No, no and no. As the lecturer kept giving us all those arguments for why we should register in the next course, I sat in the second row and rolled my eyes at him and smirked. I wasn't the most pliable of Landmark attendees (he didn't entirely like having me at the microphone), but I liked a good portion of the material. But the advance course didn't interest me. First, there was that thing he said about how if you don't do your part in that course, you take the whole group down with you. That sounded suspect. And then, of course, there's the cost. I did not invite anyone to come with me to the "graduation." The recruiting aspect offends me.

(The person who told the list s/he heard only positive feedback from me about Landmark had gotten an earful about how the recruiting part offended me. I'm trying to figure out how that sounded positive. (?) Or maybe I misunderstood her comment. Print communication is so subjective.)

Posted by: Madshus ()
Date: November 26, 2006 11:22PM

Laura Marble
I read up on it in length before going, and I told my friends, jokingly, to save me if I end up indoctrinated in cult stuff.

Lol... I do believe that many a strong-minded individual can handle a weekend of the forum and not be 'altered' for life. Although I must ask... if you 'read up on it' like you said, what made you still want to go? :lol:

Laura Marble
I meant to offer candid and witty commentary about how hard it is to be totally open with people and not censor yourself because you're afraid of what others will think.

And did it really take the Landmark Forum to come to this conclusion and allow you to be totally open? Or did it take the Landmark Forum to come to the conclusion that you can now be totally open in the way that Landmark says you can be open? Talk about interesting anthropology. :wink:

Laura Marble
...I just meant that everyone (with the exception of one who hadn't written yet) seemed to interpret my column as meaning I'd been brainwashed...

While I am one who thinks Landmark and other groups like them conform mindsets and diminish independent and critical thinking, I do see many of the opinions/viewpoints on the board are the other extreme and just as much of a 'think tank' with a central theme and set of beliefs.

Laura Marble
(Frankly, the forum was fun enough, but it didn't do all that much for me in a fireworks kind of way. It gave me a few interesting concepts to chew on.)

I would really be curious to hear if you keep that sentiment as time goes on, or if you catch yourself using Landmark jargon in your day to day life as the days go by... as I said earlier, I do believe an individual can attend Landmark and not be affected for life... I just haven't seen it yet. Maybe your transformation is just beginning... after all, whether it was tongue-in-cheek or not, you've already felt the urge to talk about Landmark in your column. :wink: I wonder what lies ahead.

Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: November 27, 2006 12:04AM

Laura Marble
First, there was that thing he said about how if you don't do your part in that course, you take the whole group down with you. That sounded suspect.

What manipulation! You are wise to stay away from it. I love how lgats teach that you are responsible for the whole world, kind of like god. Which confused me because on the one hand I was responsible for the whole world but by the same token I couldn't be a victim of another person, who also was responsible for the whole world, of which my world was a part. Also, I was but then again I really wasn't responsible for the whole world, because the other lgat-ers were, afterall, totally responsible for their own world. So, which is it?

It's NON-sense. It's contradictory crazy-making manipulation. My way to "reconcile" the contradiction was to just not think about it. I just went along with the program.

A future column could be how you got yourself UNprogrammed! HA!

skeptic

Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.