Six Feet Under - Season 2
Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: November 19, 2006 06:22AM

G'day All,

Recently I was 'blown away' with HBO's fantastic series [b:7a96a6187b]Six Feet Under[/b:7a96a6187b]. With regard to Landmark and other LGATs, this series (season 2) did an interesting dramatisation of this phenomena over several episodes. Yes, it's kind of light hearted, but its handling of the material, like so much of this series, is honest and powerful.

So, if you're interested (and you should be) the whole series is available on DVD. Overall, this is (IMO) probably the best stuff coming out of the States. Actually, having a few seconds to think about it, I can't think of a better contribution by this super power. LOL.

THANK YOU, [b:7a96a6187b]HBO[/b:7a96a6187b]!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: November 19, 2006 06:27AM

With regard to Landmark and other LGATs, this series (season 2) did an interesting dramatisation of this phenomena over several episodes. Yes, it's kind of light hearted, but its handling of the material, like so much of this series, is honest and powerful.

Interesting.

Can you give a synopsis/overview of how LGATs/Landmark is dealt with in Season 2?

Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: November 19, 2006 06:31AM

Again, in general Wikipedia sucks but:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Six Feet Under (Episode 16, Season 2, (2002): "The Plan") features a seminar-delivery organization called "The Plan", which the character Claire Fisher immediately compares to "est".

[b:9a6112dc36]But I went out and rented the DVD, looks like it's actually episode 3, and perhaps parts of 4 and 5...[/b:9a6112dc36]

Date: November 19, 2006 11:57AM

A rough synopsis (for season 2) without spoiling the fun:

The fun starts with episode 2 'Out, Out Brief Candle' when Ruth Fisher is told by a work friend (Robbie) about a unique seminar for self-awareness called The Plan.

Episode 3 'The Plan' shows Ruth becoming a paid-up member and here the audience (us) get a shock at how similar it is to Landmark. They have their own lingo, i.e. 'blueprint', 'becoming the architect of your own house (where house is one's life)', etc. Her own children start to look at her strangely saying that she's now part of some cult. In fact, you see how this new 'awareness' is distancing her from them.

Episode 4 'Driving Mr. Mossback' reveals Ruth being pressured to telephone a list of people to ask for forgiveness, etc. At this point, Ruth tries to argue with the coach of The Plan and shows how the organisation turns her frustration into a 'breakthrough'. We also see the slow degradation of Ruth's character when she starts to lie and lose touch with her children.

The episodes following reveal more but, to be honest, I haven't watched the whole 2nd season.

Date: December 01, 2006 03:48AM

A little more...

I just realised that the actor playing the 'coach' of the LGAT is the same woman who played the 'Borg Queen' in Star Trek: The Next Generation. I can't recall her name, but her face is distinctive. Now, how's that for being subtly obvious! Brilliant!

Additionally, one Season 3 episode mentions LGATs (EST, Lifespring, The Plan (Landmark)). The character played by Kathy Bates mentions her daughter got caught up with it (LGATs) and now she's stockpiling weapons for some other crazy cult - she just doesn't understand why some people need to be part of these collectives.

Okay, enough. Getting ready for Season 4... :cry:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.