Pages: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Sacred Cows and Alcoholics Anonymous
Posted by: barabara ()
Date: July 20, 2006 12:46AM

rrmoderator:
Is there a new movement called "secular totalitarianism"?
Do you consider this to be a cult, or a conspiracy, or a danger to society in any way?
Is it an organized movement, and, if so, who exactly is behind it and why?

colter:

The father of secularism was the narrow-minded and godless attitude of nineteenth- and twentieth-century so-called science--atheistic science.

More recently, secularism has assumed a more militant attitude, assuming to take the place of the religion whose totalitarian bondage it onetime resisted.

Nothing can take the place of God in human society.

And because the secularistic revolt went too far and lost sight of God and true religion, there also followed the unlooked-for harvest of world wars and international unsettledness.

I heard about this on the AA thread, in response to discussion of problems within AA.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 20, 2006 03:20AM

There is no organized secular conspiracy or "cult" that I can distinguish.

"Secularism" is not a movement, but rather seems to describe those that are secular, that is, outside of organized religion.

But that's not what this thread is supposed to be about is it?

Date: July 20, 2006 04:34AM

rrmoderator:

But that's not what this thread is supposed to be about is it?

Isn't it?
This was one of several insulting responses to criticism of AA on the AA thread.
The author of these responses obviously believes AA to be a "sacred cow".
I was just interested in finding out if there was any credibility to his latest attack on our allegations.
If there is a secular conspiracy, I would want to know about it.
I would not want to be the unwitting pawn of a destructive organization.

colter wrote:

AA, meet the secular humanist revolt!

SECULAR TOTALITARIANISM
But even after materialism and mechanism have been more or less vanquished, the devastating influence of twentieth-century secularism will still blight the spiritual experience of millions of unsuspecting souls.

Some therapist, whose God is intellectualism and the mental science's abhor AA because the very foundation of AA is trusting God. Secular counselors who may grant some flighty worthiness to spirituality as a secondary hobby don't like the idea of people turning their life and will over to a God.

............ but secular therapist don't mind being in the "God position" themselves.

Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: July 20, 2006 05:17AM

Sirtriz
But, if you do like I did, and say, "You know, there are some things about this 'program' I just don't get, and probably never will, because frankly, I don't think they make much sense" automatically you are seen as a rebel and not welcomed into the circle.

Yep, as with LGATs, when you don't keep step in following the program, YOU are the problem. In the 12-step view, it's your character defects that cause you to "rebel" (disagree). There is no place in the 12-step program for free thinking or disagreement.

Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: July 20, 2006 05:43AM

Sirtriz,

When I commented on the very first part of your post, that was as far as I had read that day, then I went out of town. I just now read your whole post and I really relate to how you describe the program (when I say 'program', I think of a book titled "The Program" by Gregg Hurwitz, a thriller (fiction) about cults, who leads, who follows). I wanted to reply to your post by shouting "YES!" in a dozen or more places. I would love to read the book you could write.

Date: July 21, 2006 04:59AM

Could this be the "secularist totalitarianist" conspiracy referred to in my previous post?
This website offers a link to SOS, a secularist alternative to the religious 12-steps.
SOS is a subcommittee of the Council for Secular Humanism, a nonprofit corporation.
Does this alternative, SOS, pose a serious threat to the "sacred cow", Alcoholics Anonymous?

[www.secularhumanism.org]

The Council for Secular Humanism cultivates rational inquiry, ethical values, and human development through the advancement of secular humanism.
www.secularsobriety.org 

What Is SOS?
SOS is an alternative recovery method for those alcoholics or drug addicts who are uncomfortable with the spiritual content of widely available 12-Step programs. SOS takes a reasonable, secular approach to recovery and maintains that sobriety is a separate issue from religion or spirituality.
• We choose to make our Sobriety a separate issue from our religion.
• We are not against popular 12 step programs which work well for many people, but we find that they do not work for us.
• Research has shown that both approaches are equally effective.

References to a "secular humanist revolt" were posted in response to criticism of AA on this thread:
[board.culteducation.com]

AA, meet the secular humanist revolt!

....ahhhhhhh, links to the "American Aithiest" web site. We're getting warmer Barbara.

In revolting against the almost total control of life by religious authority, and after attaining the liberation from such ecclesiastical tyranny, the secularists went on to institute a revolt against God himself, sometimes tacitly and sometimes openly.

(I probably would not have found this without the AA topic thread.)

Pages: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.