Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: TEEN CHALLENGE IN PA
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: May 26, 2012 08:30AM

If you accept taxpayer money, you have to accept that you’re going to receive public scrutiny.

Faith-based Minnesota Teen Challenge cannot evade scrutiny

[minnesotaindependent.com]

---------------
By Andy Birkey
Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 10:19 am
--
you accept taxpayer money, you have to accept that you’re going to receive public scrutiny.

That simple point seems to be eluding Minnesota Teen Challenge (MNTC), the faith-based drug treatment program which secured a federal earmark in early 2008 arranged by Rep. Jim Ramstad and Sen. Amy Klobuchar, for its “Know the Truth” program which aims to prevent drug use.

Operating close to the border of church and state, the group’s members are unrealistic if they think their work is not going to get attention.

Klobuchar’s deputy chief of staff, Andrea Mokros, explains the senator’s role in requesting the earmark. “The Senator joined several members of the state delegation, including Jim Ramstad and Keith Ellison, in submitting the request for a Minnesota program to prevent drug abuse. As a former prosecutor, she has long been concerned about the impact of drug abuse on both individuals and the community, and she has worked with a range of groups that work to prevent and treat drug addiction.”

MNTC officials were upset by my coverage of their public statements, publicly available employment application materials and publicly available information about their ties to the national organization that spawned the local operation. Maia Szalavitz, a Huffington Post writer with expertise in traumatized youth, also wrote about the Ramstad earmark. While Szalavitz and I published similar articles on the same day, we haven’t ever communicated with each other.

In response, MNTC executive director Rich Scherber sent a nearly identically worded letter to both the Minnesota Independent and the Huffington Post.

The point of my article was not to suggest that MNTC was not successful or beneficial, as Scherber implies. Rather it was to point out the overtly religious nature of the organization and that the program has historically been controversial. In the interest of brevity, I left some examples out. For instance, MNTC’s stance on Halloween verges on the comical (“Halloween is a day set up totally for Satan … The more people who go out dressed as demons, ghosts, witches and goblins, the more glory Satan receives”). Scherber’s claim that the Holy Spirit told an MNTC bus driver to avoid the 35-W bridge on the day of its collapse in August 2007 is touching but, let us say, unverified.

I don’t question that faith-based programs can be very effective for those that share the programs’ faith. Faith is a huge motivator in people’s lives. I think MNTC has been very effective for the clients it serves. However, I don’t think it’s appropriate for judges, prosecutors or public defenders to suggest the program as an alternative to jail. (Szalavitz, by the way, vehemently disagrees with MNTC’s claims about its success rate).

I also wrote about a local media report that points to the possibility that Know the Truth staff have discussed their religious conversions in relation to their recovery at a local church. That’s not a bad thing in itself, except the Know the Truth program is paid for by people who don’t share that religious faith. Were those Know the Truth representatives telling the same stories in public schools? Scherber didn’t address the issue in any complaint letters.

At least one Twin Cities school has decided to pass on MNTC’s offer to appear. Know the Truth had a presentation scheduled at South High School in Minneapolis next month. The school canceled the appearance after tightening the restrictions on outside groups that speak at the school, a concerned parent told the Minnesota Independent.

One thing is clear. The pressure to keep a positive public image is important to MNTC at this time. As the group’s Web site acknowledges, MNTC invested money in Fidelis Foundation, an institution created by Christian philanthropist Tom Petters, who is now under investigation for organizing a Ponzi scheme and defrauding investors such as the Fidelis Foundation. MNTC lost a lot of money and Klobuchar’s proposed earmark will certainly help ease the burden a little. What else could explain sending form letters to every media outlet that runs an article critical of the organization?

Correction: The article previously read, “According to Sen. Amy Klobuchar’s Web site, the senator is requesting (PDF) an additional $500,000 this year — a sum that would more than double the program’s budget.”

The document on Klobuchar’s site is for fiscal year 2009, although the document itself does not indicate as such. She requested the same earmark as Ramstad. Additional money is not being requested for FY2010.

Eva Young
Comment posted December 30, 2008 @ 6:07 pm
Testimonials (such as those provided above) are no measure of a program’s effectiveness. Is anyone who testified here willing to be interviewed about the program? Has it been confirmed that all the testimonies have come from unique web addresses – or are there some sock puppets?

I notice that noone who testified here addresses the issue of how the program treats those who don’t share the same beliefs (Jews for examples) or how the program treats gays (from the links to exodus, and the speeches by Janet Boynes, it appears that for Teen Challenge, the only good gay is an ex-gay).

Public funding should only fund programs that serve all citizens. MN Teen Challenge does not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Public funding should only fund programs that serve all citizens. MN Teen Challenge does not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John
Comment posted December 30, 2008 @ 6:41 pm
For all those who posted about the positive results they had from MNTC – great! Glad to hear it. Yet this does not explain why I as a taxpayer should fund an organization of such a religious bent that I find to be personally, morally and theologically objectionable. Given the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, I don’t. Surely $500,000 is a pittance for fellow-believers who share your faith to raise rather than imposing this burden on those of us who don’t? Nope, I wish you all well in your recovery but I do not care at all for the religion MNTC is peddling let alone attempting to do so while on the public dole

me realise how royally screwed up and sado-masochistic Christianity is.

Troy
Comment posted December 31, 2008 @ 10:56 am
I grew up in the Assemblies of God church, and Teen Challenge is definitely another brainwashing arm of the church.

Anytime any of the doctrines were questioned, we were told that we had no faith and were helbound unless we BLINDLY ACCEPT everything we are taught.

We even used different versions of the Bible to back up what was taught, since some versions bend the truth better than others.

Sending a loved one to this denomination is worse than hell. If you love your child, stay away from the Assemblies of God!!!!

the Assemblies of God!!!!

Dawn M. Copp
Comment posted December 31, 2008 @ 12:08 pm
It is impossible for non-Christians and Christians to be on the same page. For the Truth is revealed by the Holy Spirit. Ask Jesus into your heart. Confess that you are a sinner. Jesus will forgive you and send His Holy Spirit to lead you into all truth.
Becomming a Christian and changing your ways isn’t a heavy burden. God will meet you where you are at. He changes the desires of your heart. If you don’t want to change your ways, but something inside is saying, “There’s gotta be more”, give Jesus a try

Shell Goshdarnit
Comment posted December 31, 2008 @ 3:12 pm
So, MNTC works for “all people groups”…as long as they’re Christian, which means it’s NOT open to all. Again: why should taxpayers fund a religiously discriminatory program? Let the churches fund it themselves.

Nastassja
Comment posted December 31, 2008 @ 8:24 pm
So far I’m hearing that Minnesota Teen Challenge worked well for a lot of heterosexual Christians with addictions, but that’s still $500,000 for a group that excludes non-Christians and denies homosexuals and bisexuals. Not to mention, I can only imagine the trouble of non-Christian children being sent here by their Christian parents. I just don’t think this is an organization that should be funded by taxes – let anti-GLBT Christians donate their own money.

Ian
Comment posted February 6, 2009 @ 12:06 pm
I graduated the teen boys program in August 1999. I was 15 when i got out. It was an alternative to 18 months in jail…I’m drug & crime free – & also god free.

I wouldn’t say I feel as great about it as the rest of you. Then again…2 people died that didn’t have to while i was there & I was beaten up & received a severe head injury & received NO medical attention. I have an actual dent in my skull as a result.

As for the money end – it’s a scam. Hit up as many churches as you can. Tell everyone about how you do it all for free (even though every teenager cost 800/month back then). I once witnessed Rich tell a congregation complete nonsense about one of our boys…a kid who was in for emotional troubles & Rich is telling them all about his wild “crack addiction”. While maybe he was confused (this man’s attention span is like that of a pothead – nice enough guy – but he’s out there) – there wasn’t a dry eye in the house & more money was made. The other congregations that they brought us to were pretty awful as well. I remember one tupee wearing pastor in a pricey suit telling us we were going to hell if we didn’t make tithes & offerings….enough badmouthing though…i’m not here to sew bitterness but rather to enlighten. think real hard before sending youe teenager here or anywhere that has no medical accreditation. really consider the needs of the situation. i found that many of the younger kids really didn’t need to be there, but that their parents just ran out of ideas (or were themselves incapable).

I’m not gonna say they don’t help…they do. The problem is that they are for the most part unregulated. If they were regulated I’d have a more normal-shaped head, two young men would still be alive, & homeless guys wouldn’t have been breaking into our house & sleeping there & bringing in drugs & whatnot.

& the success rate a) is old information, b) does not consider the dropout rate, c) does not count teenagers. an overwhelming amount of people start & don’t finish…so where is the success?

Dustin
Comment posted June 14, 2010 @ 7:48 pm
Minnesota tean challange is a shame. I went to the Duluth campus and it was a joke. You know when your doing your intake they make it seem like a great place thats warm and fuzzy. It was far from. The place is small and crampt. We do not have indivual rooms that are even shared. instead we had one huge ass room the size of a gym with 50 to 60 guys in bunk beds. The building was old, and outdated , and filled with assbestice.the roff leaked and we were often made to fix it up. we did alot of fixn up when they wanted a rule 31 program. That might i add is state funded. Thats right. The place was without a doubt a safety hazzard. Staff that worked there for the most part were ok. But when people are hirred who have mental health issues this begins to be a problem. you begin to question their motives for hirring people like this. With that aside alot of the men that left would well eventually come back. The place is a revolving door. We go to these churches and sing. I was a student dirrector, and played guitar while i was their for them. Thats right for them not myself. We were pimped out without a doubt. People say that well we acctually save tax dollars by keeping DRUGGIES off the streets. That maybe so but do it with your own fucking money not ours. Boy when they found out my folks had money they were my best friends. Giving me passes when i wanted the whole nine yards. Its bad enough that this economy is the way it is. But to add insult to injury you want money from the state of minnesota thru grants and such. And that is correct you can’t deny that. But you have the tenasitty to tell people at churches that you have NO ties with the state, and that how you refuse to take state funding cause it would CHANGE THE PROGRAM. That is a load of shit if ive ever heard it. Thats why their is seperation of church and state. The minnesota teen challange gets what is called GRH that is GROUP RESIDENTIAL HOUSEING. they make you alpply for it usually within the first two days your their. Its a sham is what it is. also making you aplly for SSI and wellfare. But remember NO STATE TIES. they Put on a front when people come into the program or when you have to talk about it. Im sorry if this offends you but these are the facts. Also this is what Minnesota Teen challange says here that some 75% of their graduates remain sober. Thats a lie. Owe and the movies they always had to play before we would go and sing. Playing these my life was horrible type movies right before we go up to sing. We were know more then cattle to them even when they fed us. Giving us things that are outdated, and well un healthy. Our vehicals were questionable. So were the drivers. I watched one drive into a wall ruin the fender and just scratched the sh** out of it. And staff let HIM drive up to the church. that sunday so we could go and sing.The driver had a brain injurry from a car wreck before he entered TC. BUT see we didnt even make it out of our parking lot and their was a vehical accident. It must be because he is a VULNERABLE. Wow people are oblivious to this place. But it is slowlly being brought out into the light, and i pray to God it will. People capitalizing off addicts are sad, and i belive should be tried in the court of law. Thats right they are in the buisness of rippen you off right in front of your face, and then treating the men who do the work like crap. They tell theses sad ass stories in your churches to get you to make a DONATION. Its sad. I have seen it all. They say its a sober house but they alow students to take oxycottin, hydrocodone, xanax, klonopins, and thats just the start. The place overall is a joke and well its run like it to. Now i cant speak for all of the TC campuses but i can for the NORTHLAND one. This is just the start. i could go on and on.

Kevin
Comment posted July 12, 2010 @ 6:55 pm
I was in the one in Duluth also and it’s ran the way Dustin says it is. This particular center is a place for Lunatics. The place is a JOKE, I could never figure out how they could go in a church of all places and blatantly lie to raise money. At first I thought this is what I need a place where I could get back to following God. Boy was I in for a shocker this so called christian center was filled with people who talked and used some of the most vulgar language any one could imagine. They do get state money, and to say they don’t is a lie. The Dean of men, was not a christian I don;t care what he called himself, prior to having this job he was a janitor. About half the staff were truly christian and nice people. The food I wouldn’t feed my dog, and the cook there is one of the meanest ornriest men I know. Although I am a christian and gave my heart to Jesus, ( no thanks to this place ) I trLuly pray that somehow the place gets shut down. I believe that Teen Challenge when it was first started was a good place but over the years has become a money grubbing, say and do anything for money center. MONEY is their first and only priority. How other centers are I can’t say but if anyone is even thinking about going to TC do not even consider the one in Duluth, it and most of the people that work their are corrupt to the core. Recently one of the staff was arrested for stalking women and masturbating in front of them. Like I said I love God but would not recommend this center to no one.

Micah Smith
Comment posted December 10, 2010 @ 4:45 pm
DANA MAYSE, you are a joke. What exactly do you think turning over your will to Jesus is? Sounds alot like the 3rd step to me. Unless you are completely blind to truth and factual evidence, TC uses steps 1-7 and 11-12. I suppose you don’t know the steps though, much less know that you can, as you clearly did, use Jesus as your higher power for said steps. Failure to acknowledge your use of the steps doesn’t mean you didn’t use them. Maybe you should be less critical of others, as the steps work for over 3 million people to date, including you, even though you’d like to deny it. Your little TC’s Jesus only method has much less registered, proven success.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TEEN CHALLENGE IN PA
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: May 26, 2012 08:40AM

Teen challenge just make the ladys and men that go to the program for help work for money for the program constantly. They stick them out in front of stores for hours and they have to stand the whole time.

Comments from a discussion venue.

[www.topix.com]

former Teen Challenge student exposes this abusive Christian alcohol and drug program. Although seen by many as a worthwhile organization, Teen Challenge has a dark side, one of pathological abuse and an obsession with the almighty dollar.

[www.teenchallengeexposed.com]

IJ
|
So tell us, why do you hate them so much?

Is it because you hate Christians?

Is it because you hate God?

What is it?

We'd like to know why you hate them so much that you would create a screen name using their name to attack them with?

So whats up?

Why do you hate them?

Be honest?

Or are you trying to sell your book or your CDs or your DVDs???

What is your reason for hating them?
Seeker
:

Teen Challenge misrepresents their success. I found very little truthful or humble about them. The solicit shamelessly for donations. They manipulate their "students". They promote barely-clean addicts to govern over hurting newcomers. I have personally seen "leaders" steal from students to fund their relapses.

I have seen NOTHING CLOSE to the 86% success rate. I think it is a mis-print... it may be 8.6%.

I am an insider. I have been there. I am not a theorist. Our Executive Director was a social drinker. And a fat arrogant slob. He was so selfish that he would not even give up his food addiction nor his social drinking that may very well have been a stumbling block to his "students".

They dupe well-meaning families into sending them their sick, suffering family members to the care of a bunch of spin-dried junkies (aka: Duty Staff). Students are paraded into the local Pentecostal Churches on Sunday and forced to sit like a bunch of choir boys in the front rows. The Pastor then commends the Executive Director on what a fine job he is doing in rescuing all these "boys" to appease the suburban pentecostal congregation and give them the illusion they are helping these wretched souls.

Teen Challenge may have at one point been viable and effective. But my experience a few years ago was complete BS. I heard more lies than in a senate debate. Anonymity broken all over the place. Manipulation. Grand standing.

Hey what about "Out Reach". Where we were told we were going out to "Minister" to churches. We just went out and solicited donations from those poor people! Under false pretenses! The only "out reach" that happened was when we reached out and grabbed their wallets.

And anyone who challenges Teen Challenge is labeled a rebel. I know of many other circumstances at many other locations that are complete crap.

And for crying out loud.... change the name! You cant even become a freakin "student" until you are 19! Most of us were in our 20's and 30's and even some in 40's and 50's!

More thoughts at a later date.

Seeker.
agreeable
AOL

it!
Dec 5, 2008 Judged:

your absolutely right when you speak of teen challenge. I was there for a year and got dismissed. My parents paid a very large sum of money a month and when they took me to the probation office they left me with no way to get to the bus station and not even like 2$ for a drink or something! and i had been there a year! my mom had to drive 5 hours to come get me while i waited. that place sucks!!!!!!!!!!
disagree
Bakersfield, CA

|Judge it!
Dec 7, 2008 Judged:

Teen Challenge is free they do not charge anybody.
It is a very great place to go to get clean.

Teen Challenge Exposed
“It's all about the money”

Since: Jul 07

Reply »
|Report Abuse
|Judge it!
Dec 7, 2008 disagree wrote:
Teen Challenge is free they do not charge anybody.
It is a very great place to go to get clean
It's free? What if you get sick or injured and cannot work to earn money for the ministry?

You know damn good and well what happens; you are unceremoniously dumped at the bus station, regardless of whether or not you have any money.

Teen Challenge is ENTIRELY about money.
11 Years Clean
Houston, TX

|Judge it!
Dec 8, 2008 Yes, I tried Teen challenge first as well, and the story is right...

We were constantly bombarded by "leaders" who suposedly were obsessed about catching somebody masturbating...

12 Steps did it for me and continues to keep me sober. And I'm not required to go out and collect money for my support group nor sign over any paychecks or food stamps...

Parents should be very wary of these groups as most of their leaders are ex-cons and the "jail way of things" is quite prevelent.
lady
Cookeville, TN

|Judge it!
Dec 31, 2008 Teen challenge just make the ladys and men that go to the program for help work for money for the program constantly. They stick them out in front of stores for hours and they have to stand the whole time. You get two 10min phone calls to your parents or family and that is barley enough to say hi and ask for stuff you need!

The staff are a pain in the side as well , just hovering over you all the time for no reason!

Teen Challenge Exposed

Since: Jul 07

Clovis, CA
|Judge it!
Dec 31, 2008 lady wrote:
Teen challenge just make the ladys and men that go to the program for help work for money for the program constantly. They stick them out in front of stores for hours and they have to stand the whole time. You get two 10min phone calls to your parents or family and that is barley enough to say hi and ask for stuff you need!
The staff are a pain in the side as well , just hovering over you all the time for no reason!

Exactly. There are some good staff members, but too many are the equivalent of a loser x 10. They've never been in charge of anyone or anything in their entire lives, and since they can no longer get drunk on alcohol, they get drunk on power. It's a classic example of trading one drug for another.
Wrightotcm
Gilbert, AZ

|Report Abuse
|Judge it!
Mar 11, 2009 I would have to agree with the comments, having gone through "the program" 2 times, I think I have an insight, the Teaching was the worst I have ever been exposed to, at that time the "error of the copelandnites" and "the name it and claim it" were being taught, and I was always getting chewed out because I disagreed (I am a dispensationist/ Right divider)I had this error rammed down my throat, then 2 staff confided that they did not believe it, but this was the directors view, also one of the staff members contacted me after I got out to obtain drugs.

We were also constantly praded in front of every "odd-ball" penecostal group out there where we were displayed to try and get money out of them. I have been out of theprogram for 28 years and been sober (not a 12 stepper) 21 years, No one has ever contacted me from Teen Challenge for "the survey" I doubt the 86% number they touted that when I was there, I seen them today in front od Stores like beggars, the staff had no knowledge of anything to do with the Bible, they just had been in other programs and had learned what was expected, I do not support TC
Friendly Fred
Albuquerque, NM

|Judge it!
Mar 11, 2009 Lets give the Jesus freaks the benefit of the doubt. They are trying.
girl

|Judge it!
Apr 13, 2009 one of my friends just got sent there, i was wondering if i could talk to any of yall that have been there.. more detail about what its like?

Teen Challenge Exposed

|Judge it!
Apr 13, 2009 girl wrote:
one of my friends just got sent there, i was wondering if i could talk to any of yall that have been there.. more detail about what its like? You're welcome to contact me.

admin@teenchallengeexposed.com
good place
Bakersfield, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
|Judge it!
Apr 14, 2009 Judged:

the people that have been kicked out have broke the rules. no alcohol. no drugs. and a curfew
you follow these simple rules and you can make it.
the people that did not make it would not try and did not want to stop using,

I have a friend that was a heavy meth user
and she is now a saved drug free good looking lady
you have to be willing to stop meaning that your life is so bad you want to stop.
it wont work because your mommy wants you to stop

“Mental patient!”

Since: Jun 07

Shafter, CA

Apr 23, 2009 No Doubt wrote:
The only problem is that they tend to believe that God and discipline is all that you need.
Licensed Counselors and Doctors are not common employees and talking to someone that has been in prison for half of their life who has been put in a position of a counselor is not who everyone needs to deal with their issues that are the mental trigger...
They pretend that God can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Hasn't happened yet...
Dario
Bakersfield, CA
|Judge it!
Apr 27, 2009 Judged:

my brother-in-law used drugs for 20 years. He had no hope. He went to teen challenge for a year in Shafter, then a year in Riverside. When he came back in 2005, he got a job, joined up with our church, served in ministry and stayed clean. It's been 5 years now and all of our lives have changed because he decided to give teen challenge a try. Say what you want about that organization, say whatever makes you happy. All I know is they said and did what we couldn't. For that, I am grateful.
Boywonder
Laguna Hills, CA

|Judge it!
Aug 26, 2009 I was shocked to find out that Teen Challenge West Georgia by Art and Lindey Garcia would ever have the issues that I found. Mis-handling of money - not feeding the students after 8 hours of wook worth anything. Directors arrogant and abusive in control and ministry. New York shadyness has gotton ahold of student accounts and mis-managemenet of food stamps. I worked for TC for over five years and was very effective and never seen anything like it. It is not the name Teen Challenge it is always the directors.

|Judge it!
Sep 2, 2009 Judged:

1Boywonder wrote:
I was shocked to find out that Teen Challenge West Georgia by Art and Lindey Garcia would ever have the issues that I found. Mis-handling of money - not feeding the students after 8 hours of wook worth anything. Directors arrogant and abusive in control and ministry. New York shadyness has gotton ahold of student accounts and mis-managemenet of food stamps. I worked for TC for over five years and was very effective and never seen anything like it. It is not the name Teen Challenge it is always the directors.
Yes, But an orginization is only as good as those that work for them...

Lots of money availiable in the "God" Business.
drc3q
Nashville, TN
|Judge it!
Oct 3, 2010 Teen challenge a complete lie and I would advise everyone to stay far away from them....everything in this article is true....I know first hand via T.C. Memphis. God is real. Teen Challenge is not!
river
Payson, AZ
|Judge it!
Nov 22, 2010 and no teen challenge is not free it cost 10,000 for 10 months

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.