Current Page: 82 of 173
Re: Struthers Memorial Independent Pentecos
Posted by: mandrake ()
Date: January 07, 2013 03:24AM

Happy New Year to you all as only an occasional poster on this forum, I would like to say keep up the good work and do not be discouraged from posting here. I am not a former member of SMC, I know one of the pastors in her other capacity as a tsr. I met a friend, who had gone on an occasion to Cumbetnauld Struthers and was disquietened by all she witnessed there and by what she saw as unchristianlike behaviour. So I googled it and came across this forum and avidly read it all. I was appalled and shocked at the testomony of people and what they had endured by this unGodly person who it would appear to me is delutional, egotistical, judgemental and cruel. I know other non members have also came across it on google. Thats why I think it is important to keep posting. Rensil, I agree that it seems unlikely that the pastors who are teachers can keep their Struthers views out of their classrooms and I doubt if they do. Their numbers are dwindling so young impressionable people who see teachers as role models would be too tempting, especially when they believe they are so godly.
Also I never here of Struthers doing good community based charitable work, like helping the homeless or running soup kitchens like the Salvation Army do for example. All the pastorz seem concerned with is denouncing people from the pulpit to enhsnce own position as holier than thou. I would love the local authorities who employ these teachets to read this forum and hopefully someday soon they willx
Group hugs to all x

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Struthers Memorial Independent Pentecostal Church
Posted by: mandrake ()
Date: January 07, 2013 03:43AM

Hi guys,
Apologies for typos the typing done on touch screen phone. First paragraph should have said ..as a teacher hopefully t. hats clearer tee hee

Posted by: assokssmeaway ()
Date: January 07, 2013 04:03AM

Chesterk55
The forum might be interested to know that Struthers Memorial Church are soon to have their charitable status reviewed by the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator.

As they run a private school they are on a list of the next few charities being visited and inspected by OSCR during the next 12 months to ensure that they meet the legally required tests of charitable status.

A link to the page where they are listed as a charity under review is here:

[www.oscr.org.uk]

If Struthers can demonstrate sufficient benefit to the public they will remain a charity. If they cannot they will have to agree a plan of changes with OSCR which they will then be required to put in place to introduce clearer public benefit.

Since the directors decided to set up one charitable company covering the private school, the churches, and the bookshops presumably OSCR will have to look at the organisation as a whole. If anyone has anything they think OSCR should be aware of when visiting and inspecting Struthers they can contact OSCR and provide details of their concerns and anything they wish to bring to the regulator's attention.

[www.oscr.org.uk]

OSCR make it clear they accept anonymous complaints. They seem to take the view that the important thing is that they go and check whether the complaint (or concern) is true and valid rather than pre-decide that based on who it came from.

Lintar123 (p81,4Jan) reminds us of Chesterk55 previous post(p74,27Nov) above.

It seems to me the best and most effective action those of us that have serious concerns would be to send a complaint to OCSR.The links are in Chesterk55's post and complaints can be made using the on line form. If preferred anonymous complaints may be made.

After my only post some months ago I had not intended to post again however I feel strongly that the OSCR presents a real opportunity.

Posted by: cbarb ()
Date: January 09, 2013 06:31AM

Hi all

Truthseeker9001 - You are very right and I've already had my tuppeny bit's worth with OSCR. However, I believe it won't really matter to SMC leaders even if they do lose their charity status, I doubt if it will change their minds about how they teach God's word.

To my mind, the congregation should be giving their hard-earned money to more worthy causes - such as homeless shelters, children's charities, special needs organisations etc. this would be far more effective and Christian behaviour than running bookshops and an unnecessary private school - none of which greatly benefit the community in any way.

The discussion regarding the school is a serious one and I too believe that it will be impossible for the SMC teachers (some of whom are also leaders or family members of church leaders and ALL of whom are members of the church) to keep their religious beliefs out of the classroom.

Why are the members of the church paying for this farce of a school? It is wholly unnecessary given the number of good public schools in the area and is basically a cash cow for the teachers - who perhaps couldn't find work in any of the main-stream schools. I personally believe the whole idea was specifically to give a certain number of 'favoured' people employed work and keep them off the dole. And all this is SO GENEROUSLY provided by the members of the congregation, what a lovely gesture peeps but there are actually worthy charities with far more worthwhile causes out there, who could benefit far more from your generosity than a handful of families inside the church.

God said 'Go and give all you have to those in more need than yourself'. Hmmm, are the teachers of Cedars more needy than the rest of the cogregation? Is there no one in SMC who knows of any more needy people who desperately need the basic necessities of life just to survive? If no one in SMC knows personally of anyone in such a needy situation, it wouldn't take you very long to find out where these people are and how you can help them. Even giving to the Salvation Army would be better than throwing your money at an unnecessary and elitist school. At least the Salvation Army get out and look after the people in their area - how about trying some of their type of Christianity for a bit (REAL Christianity) and see the difference it makes to your lives?

As always biiiiig love and huge hugggggs to all.
God bless xxxxx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 06:33AM by cbarb.

Posted by: Rensil ()
Date: January 10, 2013 12:48AM

Thanks for all the posts. Regarding the idea that SMC should be supporting more worthy causes and helping the vulnerable and homeless etc, I don't think they ever will. I heard on more than one occasion at SMC, more than one SMC leader stand up and say that they as a church were not called to go out on the streets or work with the homeless or drug addicts, but that they as a church had a different remit from God and that they must stick to that and must stick to the vision which God gave them at the beginning and that they were not going to involve themselves in such projects or outreaches.
SMC leaders are reluctant to even pray for such works amongst the poor and needy in prayer-meetings or to offer financial support. A few years ago, they were reluctant to pray for or get involved with a Teen Challenge team which came over from America on a Mission to Inverclyde, although some members did get involved - good on them for thinking for themselves and rejecting the insular, uncaring view from the pulpit. Some also do help out on a Teen Challenge bus outreach.

SMC folk will of course say that they help vulnerable people and those in addiction, but all that means within SMC circles, is people in these situations attending the meetings. Groups of recovering addicts from a local drug rehab often attend the SMC meetings as part of their rehabilitation into society, which includes visiting various churches in the locality. I have been shocked at some of the things addressed to these recovering addicts publically during an SMC meeting. Would Jesus say such things? Well, you only have to read through the Gospels to get the answer. Many people get into addiction through lack of love and security in early life. Surely the last thing they need during their recovery is insulting words and a pasting from the pulpit.

Yes, SMC's interests lie in the School and Bookshop and looking after the lives of their own extended families, This is plain to see; we aren't making this up. When the whole thing became one charitable company, it became easy to move the money from one area to another without the members knowing what their contributions were going towards.

Also, Lintar123 mentioned DR's husband working in her classroom at school. Have they never thought about the many young girls who are desperate to get experience working in a school, in order to get into a teaching or classroom assistant career? There are many who are wanting and needing such experience. Why does a man who is retired on a pension go in to work in his wife's classroom? It seems that in SMC, you go to work with your family!

Date: January 18, 2013 07:36AM

Hi folks

Yes, Rensil I agree that it's a bit strange for a retired man to be going to work with his wife but it makes me wonder 'for what purpose?'. Is it a regular thing? Does he have some particular knowledge which the school-kids need that their own teacher can't give them?

The curriculum and they way teachers have to perform has changed so much and so often over the past few years it's virutally impossible to keep up with it! Could it be that there is some kind of school initiative that calls for spouses or perhaps people with specific knowledge or qualifications to attend some of the classes? Perhaps it is a scheme introduced to reduce the school's salary bill for temps and student teachers? I say that because no one has said whether or not they think that GR is actually getting paid for attending these classes - if he is then that's a different matter entirely. Or, another thought, perhaps he has gone for a career-change and is now a student teacher? Without knowing more about the circumstances regarding his work in his wife's classes, it's difficult to say whether or not there is anything untoward about it.

I do wonder about everything SMC these days. When you have been brought up in such an organisation and had a particular set of beliefs brain-washed into you since birth, pulling apart those beliefs and rebuilding your faith, from the ground up, is a very difficult thing to do. When we were young we believed that Mr. Black and Miss Taylor were as holy as God because that was what was drummed into our pliable brains almost every day of the week, for years and years. Then, all of a sudden massive amounts of money are lost on the stock market and Mr. Black is demoted to being only human (how convenient to suddenly become human after so many years of Godlike status which was apparently unquestionable).

As you get older and, hopefully, a bit wizer you look back and begin to see things in a completely different light. You remember things which struck you as strange and not in keeping with christian behaviour but, at the time, you accepted because you were told the leaders were infallible and what they said and did was directly from God and to be obeyed without question.

At one point, in my early twenties, I struggled to believe there was a God at all when the people, who were telling me how I should live, were so hypocritical. All I could see around me was hypocrisy and that condescending manner which so many of the members adopted and all I wanted to do was punch them on their self-righteous noses!

It's actually very amazing how effective brain-washing is in a group, there is a very strange phenomenon about group behaviour which makes the individual conform even if they don't entirely agree with the rest of the group. I saw a great wee demonstration of this recently in a lift experiment (if I can find the link again I'll post it up for you all coz it's quite funny but eye-opening at the same time). To put it in a nut-shell, there is a group of about 5 people who are actors and all are entering a lift - there is one other person entering the lift, who's not in on the joke, the group of actors all stand facing the back wall of the lift (although there is no door there, just a blank lift wall) - by the time the lift reaches the next floor and the doors open, everyone including the stoodge is facing the back wall of the lift - another stoodge enters on the second floor and turns to face the open lift door (the opposite way from the group) - by the time the lift reaches the third floor and the doors open, the second stoodge is also facing the back wall of the lift! and so it goes on (putting hats on and taking them off between floors etc.). Very funny but quite an eye-opener as regards group behaviour.

So I've now concluded that there is psychology at work in everything, even from the pulpits of churches (some more than others). The trick is to recognise when you are behaving a certain way just because everyone else is behaving that way, or you feel a certain way because the rest of your group are feeling that way. Mentally you make yourself conform and then deceive your brain into believing you are still choosing as an individual, when in fact all you are doing is conforming to the group mentality. So the challenge is - are you going to flow with the tide like the other fish or are you going to be a salmon and push against the tide? Me? I'd rather be a salmon.

As always, much love and mega salmon hugggggggggs
God bless you all.
xxxxx

Posted by: magiccarrot24 ()
Date: January 25, 2013 12:52AM

Hi I'm a first time poster and an all round stylish carrot.

What amuses me is the fact that SMC leaders will use the criticism given on this forum and on Latigo as a tool to verify that what they are doing is from God declaring that the criticism is a form of persecution from the Devil.

This argument is of course laughable, being criticized doesn't make you right if anything it is an indication that you might be wrong.

Especially if you consider the fact that SMC are comparing themselves to the early church. However the early church were persecuted but their numbers grew in spite of this, which can't be said for the congregation of SMC that have lost at least 200 regular attendees in the past few years which would probably equate to about a third of their congregation.

If indeed criticism is the measure by which being correct is measured then those Nazi's must have been on the right track because they have been severely criticized for decades for their actions.

Criticism isn't something to be treated lightly or avoided because as far as I am concerned if the way SMC conducts itself is righteous and true and is the will of God then its actions will stand up to scrutiny and those of us who oppose their movement will be opposing God and will be dealt with accordingly.

However as I suspect SMC are a little bit delusional, their actions don't reflect the will of God and as a result their numbers will continue to dwindle as people leave to go to more loving and understanding churches.

Posted by: Rensil ()
Date: January 25, 2013 08:07AM

Hi Magiccarrot24. Welcome to the Forum. Now we have carrots as well as salmon (Cbarb!)! I totally agree with what you've written, magiccarrot24. SMC are indeed a bit delusional and think they are a specailly chosen and anointed group of believers who are superior and more spiritual and holy than any other christian believers. We know that this is a complete lie because there are many wonderful christians out there in many different churches, who are dedicated to prayer and to serving God and to taking His ministries out to those in need. In addition, in my experience, these christians are kind, loving, encouraging and selfless brothers and sisters in the Lord, attributes which in many cases are lacking in SMC folks, especially those in leadership. I know, because I was in SMC at one time, and I am now ashamed of how I behaved towards others back then.

I agree with you too about the persecution issue. It is no guarrantee that you are on the right track just because you are being persecuted, either by other people, other Christians or the devil. Many cults also boast about the fact that they are hated, misunderstood and persecuted, and like to compare themselves with the persecuted prophets in the Bible. As you say, magiccarrot, persecution often causes churches to grow. This is in fact what has happened in China where the number of christian believers has reached into the millions and is growing steadily year by year, despite persecution - true persecution - from the state authorities.
This has not happened in SMC and their numbers have dwindled.

Please keep posting, magiccarrot24!

Posted by: magiccarrot24 ()
Date: January 25, 2013 08:48PM

In regards to Stuthers belief in holiness and spiritual deepening I have to ask them what value do they think this has in the long scheme of things. Perhaps they think that being extra holy or spiritual will see to it that they are rewarded in heaven however this is not what the bible teaches. If you read the parable of the workers in the vineyard (matthew ch 20 v 1-16.) we can see that it doesn't matter how hard or how long you work your reward in the end will be the same. A person who is saved at a young age and goes on to achieve a great public ministry will be as equally rewarded as someone who sins all of their life and makes a death bed conversion.

I am further reminded of the parabale of the Sheep and Goats (matthew ch 25 v 31-46) The righteous in this parable are gained entry into heaven because they fed and clothed the needy because they made strangers feel welcome, they looked after the sick and visited those in prison.

Of course people in Struthers will defend this by saying but in our church people are delivered from demons in the name of Jesus, we see many great signs and wonders within our church. To such people I present to you Matthew ch 8 v 21-23 "Not everyone who says to me 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day 'Lord Lord, did w not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles? Then I will tell them plainly,'I never knew you. Away from me you evildoers.'"

This brings me on to my next point and that is in regards to the use of discenment to publically point out people's sins and short falls reading Mathew ch7 v 1-5 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."

I don't think this requires much explanation but you have no right to point out the short falls in others when you have sins and shortfallings in your own life. Unless the SMC leaders think they are without sin in which case you are mearly highlighting your own short fallings as this can't possibly be the case as the bible clearly states that no man is without sin.

I also think that my comments on this post flag up the lack of scripture being read, taught and understood within SMC because all of the verses and parables that I have quoted are from Matthew so it would appear that SMC leaders and members haven't even grasped the fundamentals taught in the very first book of the New Testement.

Yours
Magiccarrot

PS. With the carrots and salmon that are featuring in this message board I hope that we don't get to many more food based happenings otherwise someone on this forum might be inspired to open an unprofitable coffee shop.

Date: January 26, 2013 06:29PM

Hi guys

Great to see you, MagicCarrot!

I agree wholeheartedly with you and have quoted some of these scriptures myself, and similar.

There is a very 'elective' and 'selfish' way of presenting the Word of God in SMC. Everything which is taught in the church is directed at the 'Self' and there is no room for distractions of any kind (including spouses, children, parents, friends). We know this because of the banning and 'avoidance' policies of the organisation. If your leader tells you to 'avoid contact with this one or that one' you are expected to obey this; and unfortunately most members follow the leader (like sheep and totally unlike salmon).

The selfishness being taught in SMC is blatantly obvious to anyone who reads the Bible and we know that these leaders are false prophets and charlattans. But we also know what God says in the Bible about people who set themselves up as leaders of men and fail in their duty to Him.

The sad fact is that the mindset of SMC has been twisted for so long that they no longer know what the real TRUTH is. They are still expecting miracles from human sources instead of letting God fill them with his grace and love and empower them to spread his love and grace to those in need of it.

I find it very hard to understand why certain leaders (and members of their family) can consider themselves holier than anyone else when they so obviously have a problem with gluttony. Isn't that one the type of sin which would come under the 'Gross misconduct' clause?

Add to this the leader who gambled an extortionate amount of money on 'black' and it came up 'red', causing financial chaos for the church and its members. Isn't that one the type of sin which would come under the 'Hugely Gross misconduct' clause?

Some leaders claim to have certain discernment powers but use these supposedly, God-given powers, to humiliate and control the members of their church. I can't find one single verse in the Bible that says a leader of God's people should use sensitive information about people to publically humiliate them into subservience. If anyone else can find such a verse I'd appreciate knowing where it is so that I can read it for myself.

I firmly believe that SMC will only be redeemed if they open their hearts to the grace, love and light of the Lord Jesus Christ and stop focussing all their efforts on making themSELVES holy and keeping themSELVES away from 'harm'. They need to stop being so full of themSELVES and start becoming the vessels God intended them to be ... completely selfLESS and only filled with His grace and love for our fellow men (and women) and for the beautiful planet he allows us to inhabit.

As you said, MagicCarrot, 'no man is without sin' but Jesus died to ensure that we, even as sinners, could still be redeemed by His love and be with our Heavenly Father when we die.

Somehow though, I doubt very much if any of this will really sink in and make a difference because SMCers can usually twist some verse in the Bible to make it OK for them to concentrate on themSELVES instead of others. Remember, they are very good at twisting things to relieve them of all concience or culpability for pretty much anything they do or say. So I'm quite sure they will have some way of refuting any verses we quote, no matter how valid those scriptures are to everyone else who believes in the Holy Word of God.

Sometimes it feels like you're bashing your bonce off a brick-wall and yet, if the members of SMC just read the Bible for themselves and not under the influence of some ranting and raving loony on the platform, they couldn't fail to see the absolute TRUTH of the Word of God and the truth of what we having been saying for so long on this forum.

Well, we live in hope and keep praying for enlightenment and freedom from SELF to permeate the barriers, installed in SMC so many years ago.

As always, huge love and biiiiiiig huggggs to all
God Bless xxxx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2013 06:32PM by cbarb.

Current Page: 82 of 173

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.