Actor seems to be a classic Landmark victim
Posted by: Laney400 ()
Date: August 08, 2015 09:18AM

This should be of interest to some here. Warning: some of the posters on this board are a bit crass. [www.datalounge.com]

Cheyenne Jackson is a Broadway actor, who has also been on a few tv shows, who people are saying just might be a victim of Landmark.

There is a lot about him online on this particular gossip board, don't know how much is true, of course, but the facts seem to be that he met a guy who is apparently a Landmark instructor, or was one, while at an AA meeting and within a year, suddenly left his husband of many years, married the Landmark instructor, and has exhibited extremely odd behavior (sex tape went viral, got a lot of bad tattoos) and is always talking about being "authentic" in interviews now. He once had a reputation for being a really nice guy, but it seems like he's lost that.

A lot has played out publicly since he and his husband are really active on Instagram, and it's weird.

What I truly find odd about this is that he met the husband in AA. The husband's name is connected to Landmark on a few websites online, so it's pretty certain he's been heavily involved with Landmark for a while. Do these organizations go to AA and the likes to get people to sign up? It seems so manipulative and shady to me.

Just thought his story would be of interest, as it seems very classic "Landmark victim" to me from what I have read. Maybe it's not as bad as it seems, but it really does seem weird and like this guy is in a lot of trouble.

Might be interesting to keep an eye on this story to see how he's doing and if he gets out.

Has anyone else heard of this guy? Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Actor seems to be a classic Landmark victim
Posted by: kdag ()
Date: October 25, 2016 05:06AM

As to whether or not they recruit from 12-step groups ~ the answer is "yes."

The person who recruited me was recruited by someone we knew from a 12-step group. Not only do they recruit from there, but if you end up criticizing LE or if they consider you "difficult," they will also use information obtained from within 12-step program to get under your skin.

This violates the 12 Traditions
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: October 25, 2016 08:24AM

Friends, what kdag describes is a serious, outrageous violation of the honor code
that governs all 12 Step groups.

12 Step groups avoid all mention of outside issues (politics, religion) precisely
because so many disagree. To preserve group harmony, focus remains strictly on
what assists recovery according to the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions.

This honor code is summarized in what is known as the Twelve Traditions.

People are often referred to 12 Step programs by the courts and as part of inpatient and outpatient drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs. People come in or return in a vulnerable state. In early recovery ability to trust the discretion and honesty of one's sponsor and buddies in "the rooms" is of the utmost importance.

All grounds for such trust is destroyed by any CULT which presumes to invade 12 step meetings and use them for recruitment, or as sources of confidential information.

It is worth looking at the 12 traditions and comparing them to the way LGATs function. Such as:

Tradition Nine: often summarized as "Our leaders are but trusted servants, they do not govern." People are elected to the various positions on a rotating basis, precisely to preserve fellowship and to prevent any development of a cult of personality and to ensure that everyone has a stake in the community.

12 Traditions - short form

[www.google.com]

12 Traditions - the long form

[www.google.com]

One motto often quoted to remind each other of confidentiality in 12 Step meetings is,"Who we see here, what we here here, when we leave here, let it stay here."

Confidentiality. Many of the persons who are in 12 Step groups are there because their lives depend on it. Many come to meetings to get help with exactly those issues still stigmatized by society.

2. Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our Traditions, ever reminding us
to place principles before personalities.

The 12 Traditions safeguard the unique culture provided by the 12 Steps.

If you find that someone is abusing 12 Step groups to target and recruit vulnerable
persons into anything that is not 12 Step, do the following three things where
possible:

1) If someone uses anything you or a 12 Step buddy said in a 12 Step meeting or when meeting with your sponsor or at a 12 Step affiliated workshop, speak up and tell them that is
violation of the 12 Traditions.

2) If you catch on that someone is using your 12 Step meeting to run any kind of scam or hustle (which can range from guilt tripping members to give them money, proslytizing a religion or a for profit high demand group or LGAT), speak up and out and quote the relevant sections from the 12 Traditions.

3) Bring this up at the next business meeting for the 12 Step group. If you consider this an emergency, contact the group secretary before the meeting and insist on convening what is termed an emergency "group conscience."

4) Report this to both your District Office and the Central Office. Unless such incidents are always reported and reported immediately, the 12 Step groups cannot get the information needed to update procedure and devise methods to educate members.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: October 25, 2016 08:26AM

One woman who was into Byron Katie tried to recruit via a 12 Step group I attended. She pounced on me right when I was shaken after I confided some painful information. Luckily I already know about Cockroach Lady and her hubby, so I refused her offer. I am now sorry I did not reprimand her.

Byron Katie

[forum.culteducation.com]

Another member of that same meeting did attend a Katydid intro, but had the sense to recognize that it
was cultic. But...so very many of us attend 12 Step meetings when in crisis and cannot recogize when someone is leading us into an exploitative situation.

Posted by: ConcernedandSad ()
Date: May 01, 2017 11:52PM

I have seen articles about this guy around because he and the husband, the alleged Landmark instructor, have recently had twins and have been in People magazine.

I have experience with friends getting wrapped up in the Landmark Forum. It's terrifying.

I read the link you posted from that gossip board and it looks like there are many others about Cheyenne Jackson on that board as well.

If it's true he left his husband for a Landmark instructor he met in AA, I don't even know what to say. That is sick and scary.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.