Leah Remini celebrates exit from Scientology 10pm on TLC
Posted by: mood: crisis ()
Date: July 10, 2014 11:38PM

I've been really impressed by Leah Remini's composure through her process with having left Scientology, but seeing her promote her new show it's making more sense to me, as there has been a lot to coordinate: she was brought up in CO$, and reports she's made her exodus with all her immediate family intact; her husband, parents etc., have all left CO$. Would that she could have gotten "everyone" to leave, but of course there are still losses; some extended family members, and many friends.

On her new and reportedly unscripted reality show that debuts tonight on TLC at 10 (Thursdays starting today July 10), the first episode is said to center around Leah planning a party "intended to celebrate those who have stayed close to her after she broke with Scientology, an act that elicits shunning from members of the church in good standing. And while Remini briefly discusses the jarring experience of having people abruptly cut her off, that’s all dispatched in a few minutes, the better to get back to a sitcom “B” plot about Angelo wanting to discard some of the stuff that Leah hoards." (Quote from Variety.)

Well, I wouldn't have expected the whole episode to be a teardown of CO$, as her style in talking about it seems to me to have thus far been decidedly pragmatic, making reference to realities involved with leaving (such as their disconnection policy) but without using their jargon. I think this will not only allow her to keep navigating Hollywood with its complicated web of CO$ involvement by being as diplomatic as possible while also being admirably strong about it, but will allow her to be a beacon to those still inside, as her composure means they can't shoot back about her making any "outrageous claims" or the like.

She seems to be getting a very warm reception by the public, a lot of buzz etc., and to be honest, the greater her success the better a beacon she can be to those entertainment folks inside who even moderately equate their CO$ involvement with their ability to be successful in Hollywood.

Plus, she's really funny. Go, Leah!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Leah Remini celebrates exit from Scientology 10pm on TLC
Date: July 16, 2015 09:56PM

Leah Remini reveals the 'hard repercussions' of leaving Scientology in new season of her TLC reality series

By SHYAM DODGE FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 21:54 GMT, 15 July 2015 | UPDATED: 08:38 GMT, 16 July 2015

Leah Remini left the Church Of Scientology two years ago.

While one of the most vocal and high profile apostates to renounce the organization, Leah, 45, claims she is still feeling the 'hard repercussions' of leaving the religion she was raised in.

In a preview clip for the season premiere of her TLC show Leah Remini: It's All Relative, the actress opens up about her experience of leaving the church.

Scroll down for video

Recalling the past: In a preview clip for the season premiere of her TLC show Leah Remini: It's All Relative, the actress opens up about her experience of leaving the church

'When you leave, you can leave quietly,' Leah said in the teaser. 'But If you make a stink in the public world, they call you a Suppressive Person, which means the church has put a stamp on you that says you are bad.

'They then go to all your family and friends and say you have to disconnect from this Suppressive Person.'

Leah went on to describe why she felt the need to leave the religion her own mother had raised her in.

'I decided I didn't want to raise my daughter in the church because from what I've experienced and what I saw, the church becomes your everything. It becomes your mother, your father, your everything. You are dependent on the church.'
Leah Remini details nanny Trish's battle with breast cancer

'Hard repercussions': 'When you leave, you can leave quietly,' Leah said in the teaser. 'But If you make a stink in the public world, they call you a Suppressive Person'

Leah also claims in the short video that those raised in the church don't 'have loyalty' to their own family members as the church itself 'comes first.'

The Church Of Scientology gave the following statement to DailyMail.com: 'It comes as no surprise that someone as self-absorbed as Leah Remini with an insatiable craving for attention would exploit her former religion as a publicity stunt in a pathetic attempt to get ratings for her cable show and seem relevant again.'

'She is rewriting history and omits that she was participating in a program to remain a Scientologist by her own choice, as she was on the verge of being expelled for her and her husband’s ethical lapses.'

Tough decisions: Leah also claims in the short video that those raised in the church don't 'have loyalty' to their own family members as the church itself 'comes first'

United front: In the series Leah and her family unite to help nanny Trish in her battle with breast cancer

The TLC show premieres on Wednesday night at 9 p.m. ET. Over 14 episodes it chronicles Leah and her famly, husband Angelo, their 10 year-old daughter Sofia, mother Vicki and stepfather George, and sister Shannon as they adjust to a new life.

In addition, the family unites to help nanny Trish in her battle with breast cancer.

As DailyMail.com previously reported the actress talked about life after the church in a new interview on Oprah Winfrey's Where Are They Now.

'My mother was in Scientology my whole life. Most people don't know that we were raised in it,' The King Of Queens actress explained. 'I didn't decide to get into it - I was brought into it by my mom.'

'I don't think people know the amount of dedication it takes to be in this organization,' she added. 'I mean it was every day, three-and-a-half hours minimum, seven days a week usually.

Coming soon: The TLC show premieres on Wednesday night at 9 p.m. ET

'You know, I'm working most of my time, and then the other time was spent at the church, so minimal time is really spent with your family.'

But the former Dancing With The Stars contestant admits the church was instrumental in forming her as a person: 'Our decision to leave the organization - it's not just something you get over.

'It's people and a lifestyle you've known all your life. It formed who I am, good and bad. It formed the way I think, good and bad. And so there's a lot of pain connected to it, there's a lot of healing.'

In the same interview with Oprah she recalled the moment she decided to leave Scientology, while reading a text venerated by the church.

'I was at one of these hotels in Florida, and I saw my daughter swimming for the first time while I'm reading this thing,' Leah said. 'And a tear came down my face. And I was like, "What am I doing?"'

The television star said she realized she was teaching her daughter what her mother had taught her - that Scientology was 'more important' than family.

'It was a culmination of things but that was a big one in my mind,' she added.
'When you are raised in something, and you are taught to think a certain way, a lot of times you grow up thinking, "That's the way I think,"' Leah continued.
'I'm learning there's a new world out here, and there shouldn't be any kind of judgment toward somebody who has a belief system that is not yours.'

A spokesperson for the Church Of Scientology gave DailyMail.com the following statement regarding Leah's appearance on Where Are They Now in May: 'Given Leah Remini's insatiable desire for attention, it comes as no surprise that for two years she has been incapable of moving on with her life and remains obsessed with shamelessly exploiting her former religion in a pathetic attempt to get publicity.'

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: dwest ()
Date: December 01, 2015 12:57PM

Her book Troublemaker goes into her experiences in Scientology in depth. For example, at a very young age she was allowed to sign up for the sea org and separated from her mother. It is witty but also sad. I highly recommend it, and I wasn't a Remini fan before buying it.

Posted by: dwest ()
Date: December 08, 2015 06:32PM

I wasn't a fan either until I picked up her book, and now I'm halfway through. If it wasn't laundry day I'd still be reading it right now at 2:30 a.m. I highly recommend it. Her explanation of Disconnection was the best I've read

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.