Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Do Dave McKay and the "Jesus Christians" shelter child molesters?
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: January 29, 2011 07:45AM

zeuszor
Excerpted from Judith Herman's amazing and seminal work, Trauma and Recovery:

It is very tempting to take the side of the perpetrator. All the perpetrator asks is that the bystander do nothing. He appeals to the universal desire to see, hear, and speak no evil. The victim, on the contrary, asks the bystander to share the burden of the pain. The victim demands action, engagement, and remembering. . . .

In order to escape accountability for his crimes, the perpetrator does everything in his power to promote forgetting. Secrecy and silence are the perpetrator's first line of defense. If secrecy fails, the perpetrator attacks the credibility of his victim. If he cannot silence her absolutely, he tries to make sure that no one listens. To this end, he marshals an impressive array of arguments, from the most blatant denial to the most sophisticated and elegant rationalization. After every atrocity one can expect to hear the same predictable apologies: it never happened; the victim lies; the victim exaggerates; the victim brought it on herself; and in any case it is time to forget the past and move on. The more powerful the perpetrator, the greater is his prerogative to name and define reality, and the more completely his arguments prevail.

Now, there is no evidence indicating that Dave McKay is a child molester, a pedophile, or anything of the sort, and I for one do not believe that he is such a person.

There is, however, evidence indicating that Dave McKay is a friend to, and sympathizes with, pedophiles and others who groom children for the purposes of their own perverse sexual gratification. Only difference is, Dave McKay has a predilection for grooming and recruiting of youth for the purposes of his own emotional gratification.

The way in which he minimizes the depravities (sexual and otherwise) of Moses David Berg is the most telling indicator of this attitude on his part.

I am not saying that I think that Dave McKay is a sex offender (because there is no evidence of that, and in fact I personally do not believe that he is) but I am saying that it seems as if there are a lot of the same thought processes at work in his mind, that are also at work in the minds of sexual offenders.

His sense of entitlement, his tendency to assert that his victims somehow deserved or wanted to be treated as they were (or are), and his tendency to constantly attempt to define reality for others, it's all there. Different behaviors, but the same thought processes at work behind them.

He will promote secrecy with respect to what has happened within the JCs in the past in general, and in terms of sexual abuse of children specifically.

He will vociferously attack the credibility the victims of his own malignant self-love through all manner of ad hominem attacks, and as a well the victims of the past (and perhaps present-day) sexual offenders who are a part of his group (assuming that they still are a group).

He plays various sides and factions surrounding the JC debate against one another; the effect of this is that nobody is willing to listen to anybody else anymore, so much distrust gets sown.

He will deny, he will lie, he will rationalize, he will minimize; in sum, he is trying to manipulate and/or intimidate everybody involved in this thing to participate in his conspiracy of silence, and (in the context of this thread) specifically with respect to incidences of child sexual abuse that has taken place withing the group that he is ostensibly the Apostle of.

With respect to certain ex-members who know the identitiy of X: I can understand their reluctance, but unfortunately their not speaking out is what allows McKay to keep getting away with everything. This is the simple bottom line.

Frankly, from where I sit I see this as enabling DM to do what he does, and I have a hard time respecting anybody's silence with respect to not reporting known instances of sexual abuse, whether they were perpetrated in or out of the group proper. It's hard for me to respect their silence, but I have to.

But because McKay knows all the ex-members' details, he can use information if they speak out against him.

Funny though, that he now says he doesn't know John's identity.

As soon as James started posting against him, he knew James' surname right away! And I'll bet if John started posting, Dave would quickly remember his surname too!

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE "JESUS CHRISTIANS" AND DAVE MCKAY PLEASE ALSO SEE:

[forum.culteducation.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 30, 2011 10:17AM

More from Trauma and Recovery:

From Chapter 1

THE STUDY OF PSYCHOLOGICAL TRAUMA has a curious history–one of episodic amnesia. Periods of active investigation have alternated with periods of oblivion. Repeatedly in the past century, similar lines of inquiry have been taken up and abruptly abandoned, only to be rediscovered much later. Classic documents of fifty or one hundred years ago read like contemporary works. Though the field has in fact an abundant and rich tradition, it has been periodically forgotten and must be periodically reclaimed.

This intermittent amnesia is not the result of ordinary changes in fashion that affect any intellectual pursuit. The study of psychological trauma does not languish for lack of interest. Rather, the subject provokes such intense controversy that it periodically becomes anathema. The study of psychological trauma has repeatedly led into realms of the unthinkable and foundered on fundamental questions of belief.

To study psychological trauma is to come face to face both with human vulnerability in the natural world and with the capacity for evil in human nature. To study psychological trauma means bearing witness to horrible events. When the events are natural disasters or "acts of God," those who bear witness sympathize readily with the victim. But when the traumatic events are of human design, those who bear witness are caught in the conflict between victim and perpetrator. It is morally impossible to remain neutral in this conflict.

It is very tempting to take the side of the perpetrator. All the perpetrator asks is that the bystander do nothing. He appeals to the universal desire to see, hear, and speak no evil. The victim, on the contrary, asks the bystander to share the burden of the pain. The victim demands action, engagement, and remembering. . . .

In order to escape accountability for his crimes, the perpetrator does everything in his power to promote forgetting. Secrecy and silence are the perpetrator's first line of defense. If secrecy fails, the perpetrator attacks the credibility of his victim. If he cannot silence her absolutely, he tries to make sure that no one listens. To this end, he marshals an impressive array of arguments, from the most blatant denial to the most sophisticated and elegant rationalization. After every atrocity one can expect to hear the same predictable apologies: it never happened; the victim lies; the victim exaggerates; the victim brought it on herself; and in any case it is time to forget the past and move on. The more powerful the perpetrator, the greater is his prerogative to name and define reality, and the more completely his arguments prevail.

The perpetrator's arguments prove irresistible when the bystander faces them in isolation. Without a supportive social environment, the bystander usually succumbs to the temptation to look the other way. This is true even when the victim is an idealized and valued member of society. Soldiers in every war, even those who have been regarded as heroes, complain bitterly that no one wants to know the real truth about war. When the victim is already devalued (a woman, a child), she may find that the most traumatic events in her life take place outside the realm of socially validated reality. Her experience becomes unspeakable. . . .

To hold traumatic reality in consciousness requires a social context that affirms and protects the victim and that joins the victim and witness in a common alliance. For the individual victim, this social context is created by relationships with friends, lovers, and family. For the larger society, the social context is created by political movements that give voice to the disempowered. . . .

[www.jimhopper.com]

Date: January 31, 2011 04:16AM

In the context of our discussion of Dave McKay's apparent sympathetic relationship with, and in my opinion similar modus operandi to, pedophiles, I also recommend studying a scholarly article entitled A Theoretical Perspective for Understanding Reactions to Victimization, Janoff-Bulman and Frieze. That one's worth procuring a copy of. An abstract follows:

Although specific victimizations may differ, there appear to be common psychological responses across a wide variety of victims. It is proposed that victims' psychological distress is largely due to the shattering of basic assumptions held about themselves and their world. Three assumptions that change as a result of victimization are: 1) the belief in personal invulnerability; 2) the perception of the world as meaningful; and 3) the view of the self as positive. Coping with victimization is presented as a process that involves rebuilding one's assumptive world. Introductions to the papers that follow in this issue are incorporated into a discussion of specific coping strategies adopted by victims.

[onlinelibrary.wiley.com]

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON DAVE MCKAY AND THE "JESUS CHRISTIANS" PLEASE ALSO SEE:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 04:18AM by zeuszor.

Posted by: Apollo ()
Date: January 31, 2011 04:27AM

Apollo
Here's a post h/j previously made on the xjcs site which is relevant to this thread.

h/j
I'm sorry I'm so late to respond to your curiosity! As some of you know I may look at the forums or may not. ( Busy is all )

I'm not ever wanting to deliberately ignore someone. In my opinion what Nick did was unethical. It reminded me of how I felt when one of the JC's dishonestly accessed my forum accounts and published a private email between myself and Kevin. No one ever had the decency to fess up and no one rushed to say it was wrong. There was never an apology from anyone. I found the best thing was to let it go. Forgive.

In this case there were no children being sexually molested. There wasn't an entire community being complicit in the cover- up of child abuse. For a community that prides itself on being willing to ' err on the side of caution ' - it seems you're willing to take some mighty huge and tragic risks when it comes to innocent children.

I hope everyone will pray that the paedophile in your midst isn't still working with vulnerable third world children in Africa. Who's keeping an eye on him now?

A MINIMUM of five children have been sexually molested at the hands of three one time JC's. When all is taken into account that could easily be in double figures. Your community set the tone so that Alf/ Monty was MORE concerned about the reaction of a mother than the harm to innocent children or the rehabilitation of the man himself.

I doubt that concerns Alf/ Monty or any of you at all- because you're all so high on your morality fix.

Children were sodomized , raped , forced to perform oral sex on one of your members - which you furnished with Easy Listening books ( books that are attractive to children ) and sent to India- home of some of the most vulnerable children on the planet. Your community enabled this to happen and the leader didn't even resign and so far has shown NO remorse.

By the time I met the community ( early 2004 ) - there were TWO more cases. One involving ' x' and one involving another member with learning difficulties. At no time was any proper rehabilitation offered to these people.

Instead , as long as they sold enough books Dave happily let them masturbate and fantasize with his blessing.

H/j is someone who has known the JCs for a number of years. She is someone who has spoken to them personally on numerous occasions. It was ex member Sue who confessed to her about the child abuser in the JCs who had learning difficulties. This man was not reported to the police or encouraged to receive the appropriate treatment.

...and more from that same person posting under the name Hello.

hello
Roland and Sue- that you saw on ' Wifeswap'- have been involved in two cases of ' kidnapping' - both involving underage boys. I once sat with Sue where she told me how one of their community members had sexually molested a young boy- the JC's response was to eject him from the community. The man in question was free to molest again- the only issue they had was that he shouldn't be associated with the JC's. Sue's defence seemed to be that the man' was slow'- though I don't doubt that she was telling the truth- it never occured to her as a Christian to get him some help- so that he couldn't do it again.
Appearances are foremost to the JC's.
What the JC's lack- and it makes them extremely dangerous- is any emotional understanding of situations. They have put themselves in a repressive environment- where they have extremely rigid boundaries- and because they are taught to deny their own emotions- after a while- can no longer recognise the emotional needs and rights of others.
For example- in ' Wifeswap' we have Sue trying to force a little girl to eat a mushy bowl of cereal. A little girl who would have been missing her Mum terribly. Someone with a healthy understanding of relationships and emotions would have dealt with this situation in a completely different way. Sue was there to promote Freeganism- not to bully little girls.
What would have endeared her more to the family and all those watching- would've been if she had of eaten the cereal herself and asked the little girl to hold her hand- as everyone knows- mushy cereal - if you're a little girl- is horrible. There are so many situations that could've been avoided if the JC's showed a bit of compassion and understanding instead of rigid groupthink.

hello
I thought I'd better mention that sexual abuse has taken place in the JC community. A male member molested a young boy. The JC's response was to tell the man he had to leave the community. Their justification was that the man was ' slow'- though he had responded to the teachings. As a mother, what I find shocking is that they left this man free to molest again.
I'm not into corporal punishment- nor do I believe that this man- should be condemned- but I believe they had a responsibilty to see the situation through. If the man was ' slow'- he needed help and support from the proper authorities. They basically washed their hands of him- which wasn't helpful to him, the child- or any future child he happens to molest.
Also the JC's have been involved in two cases of kidnapping- both involving underage boys. I'm sure if you ask them- they'll tell you how their behaviour was totally ' above board' etc.
However, if you're familiar with Jung- you'll understand that sometimes people do things without admitting their real feelings to themselves- let alone others. The fact remains- all THREE of these incidents have Roland involved and present. I'm sure he has a reasonable explanation.
I don't believe that having a wife' lovingly' by your side on public view, means that you're not capable of abuse.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 04:39AM by Apollo.

Date: January 31, 2011 04:30AM

And since removed, I see, no? Thank you for preserving this post, Apollo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 04:34AM by zeuszor.

Date: January 31, 2011 04:34AM

Pardon?

Date: January 31, 2011 04:39AM

A link, you forgot to post a link to this! (hint hint) ;-)

Date: January 31, 2011 04:45AM

I stumbled across it on page 498.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 04:50AM by Apollo.

Date: January 31, 2011 04:48AM

Please, remember to post a URL when quoting from another thread or forum, Apollo. Page 498 of what?

Good, I see that. Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 05:04AM by zeuszor.

Date: February 01, 2011 11:45AM

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON DAVE MCKAY AND THE "JESUS CHRISTIANS" PLEASE SEE:

[www.youtube.com]

Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.