New cult called Avatar
Posted by: mjr40 ()
Date: March 30, 2005 12:20AM

Hi all -

Found a new cult called Avatar, which appears to be founded by Harry Palmer, a former Scientologist. I could not find it in the Group Information Database of The Ross Institute.

[members.aol.com]
Origin and birth of Avatar
The originator of Avatar is an American, Harry Palmer, who enjoys being described as a "poet-engineer-beatnik" (Living Deliberately, Harry Palmer, 1994). After beginning engineering studies at Clarkson College of Technology in 1962, he decided to leave the university three years later. He took odd jobs then, becoming a cook, painting rooms of motels, visiting communes and packing food at co-operatives. In parallel, he studied Western psychology and Eastern philosophy, before receiving a Bachelor of Science diploma in 1969. He taught literature courses.

In 1972, he participated in a "spiritual guidance" meeting, namely Scientology (1). He then opened the Center for Creative Learning, a branch of the Church of Scientology in Elmira, New York. He directed it over about fifteen years, until the day when serious financial disagreements arose between Palmer and the local disciples and, at the same time, with the Church of Scientology. Palmer separated from Scientology and left with the obligation to no longer use the trademarks "Scientology" and "Dianetics."

Options: ReplyQuote
New cult called Avatar
Posted by: walkingaway ()
Date: March 30, 2005 03:56AM

I know many Avatar Masters and others involved in this group.

It is scarily cult-like. It can cost into the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars eventually for the exhorbitantly expensive classes. And the main reason for life for many of these people is recruiting others into it.

It's basically the same New Age stuff, with the added idea that Avatarians represent the most Spiritually evolved beings on the planet. And since enlightenment equals wealth, in their teachings, people go deeply into debt to attend these classes.

It's both a scam and a cult, in my opinion.

New cult called Avatar
Posted by: EldonBraun ()
Date: August 27, 2005 11:37PM

walkingaway
I know many Avatar Masters and others involved in this group.

Walkingaway,
Do you know anyone who has left? In particular anyone who felt abused or ripped off? If so, please have them get in touch wth me. There is also a usenet newsgroup about it called alt.clearing.avatar. It's accessible through Google groups.

This is not a new group, by the way. It's been around since 1986, and it is a Scientology offshoot.

It is scarily cult-like. It can cost into the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars eventually for the exhorbitantly expensive classes.

Actually it costs something over $12,000 to take all the courses, includng the upper level exorcism fest called the Wizard Course. So it's cheaper than Scientology.

And the main reason for life for many of these people is recruiting others into it.

That's for sure. It has an Amway-like multi-level marketing setup.

New cult called Avatar
Posted by: xenophile ()
Date: February 24, 2006 06:29PM

If you are considering doing a course run by Avatar don't sign up until you get some decent information on what to expect. Try avatarscam.com or [www.xs4all.nl]

New cult called Avatar
Posted by: JD ()
Date: March 22, 2006 08:27AM

Wow, thanks for the heads up. Keep up the good work!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.