Current Page: 10 of 24
Re: The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle - Cognitive Suicide
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 12, 2008 09:33PM

tunno:

I would strongly advise consulting with a qualified professional, such as a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: March 12, 2008 09:46PM

rrmoderator
tunno:

I would strongly advise consulting with a qualified professional, such as a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist.
Oh yes, I forgot to say that in my previous post. Professional help, definitely recommended.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 13, 2008 12:48AM

A new article on Shamblog.

[shambook.blogspot.com]

Earlier articles are here:

[shambook.blogspot.com]

[shambook.blogspot.com]

Posted by: tunno ()
Date: March 13, 2008 01:24AM

helpme2times
rrmoderator
tunno:

Oh yes, I forgot to say that in my previous post. Professional help, definitely recommended.

Thanks for the advice. She has had therapy before (both psychologist and psychiatrist)but she feels that both forms of therapy don't help her in the long run. She feels that the "A New Earth" book is the first time she has read something that puts into words how she is feeling. She is at least taking medication, that has helped, because for a while she wasn't taking meds that was the worst I had seen.

I am going to read the book helpme2times has recommended and then give it to her to read. I am also going to try an encourage her to again see a professional.

I take the point of not being negative on Tolle or Oprah to her as this will be couterproductive, although I will find it hard not to be.

Thanks again.

Re: A New Earth - Eckhart Tolle - Oprah cult
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: March 14, 2008 01:26AM

The moderator posted a link in another thread about a CultNews.com about Oprah Winfrey and Eckhart Tolle. Just also putting a link here, as this thread is more about ET, whereas the other thread is more about BK.

I have to say I can't really understand why Oprah is doing this. She has to believe it right? She could get more ratings from Brad Pitt type shows?
And she could have on anyone on earth, even the Dalai Lama, or a cognitive psychologist, or anyone. But she picks Eckhart Tolle?
It does seem Oprah has a weakness for this type of thing.

But the cynic in me also think is might also be commercial and economic. For example, do Critical Thinkers buy the new toilet paper as its as soft as a kitten? Do they just run out and buy buy buy, and follow the Suggestions they see on TV?
So, maybe its a conspiracy theory that the Oprah producers, and Oprah, know that the Advertisers who pay all the bills, WANT people who are not critical thinkers?
After all, there is a thread on the Oprah website below, and it seems the ET supporters basically say..."stop thinking"...you think too much.

On the other hand, all this New Age stuff enrages the US Christians, so that does not help Oprah. So she has to be a true believer on some level...
Or maybe she is a billionaire, as she knows what sells...?? ya think??

Has Oprah Winfrey become a televangelist?
[www.cultnews.com]

(closed thread at Oprah.com)
SADLY, MORE WACKO CULT MATERIAL, BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!
[www.oprah.com]

Re: A New Earth - Eckhart Tolle - Oprah cult?
Date: March 14, 2008 01:46AM

I just found the link to watch the ET-Oprah webcast, or download the Blessed Transcripts of ET from the Oprah shows.
hmm, I have a feeling these transcripts will say....

...just stop thinking....

Webcast On Demand, transcript
[www.oprah.com]

Re: A New Earth - Eckhart Tolle - Oprah Christ Consciousness
Date: March 14, 2008 02:54AM

(My summary, done after:)
- ET is basically preaching Mindfulness, Non-Attachement, and Ego-lessness. (Be Here Now, like in the 60's)
-ironically, his cognition and Ego is very strong and dense, but no one cares about that!
- ET says he experiences life, sorta like an acid trip, but better.
- he says the Ego is bad, etc, but yet again, writes and speaks very densely...but don't think about that...
- ET says he had an Ego-Death, but I just don't believe him. Listen to how he speaks...he has very dense cognition. He may have had an Identity crisis, or a psychotic break, or who knows? Maybe he fabricated an Enlightenment Story, so he could sell books? Sounds similar to the Buddha...who became Enlightened sitting under a tree.
- I don't think ET is enlightened...its all too contrived sounding, compared to the simplicity of actual Buddhist monks, for example.

-Oprah says she believes in the Christ Consciousness, which explains why she supports all these sorts of things, as that is New Thought, which is what The Secret is based on, etc.
-Oprah says that she believe God wants her to use her TV show.

So it seems Rick Ross is right! Oprah is becoming an Evangelist for her own ideas about "god" which appear to be a version of the Christ Consciousness + Be Here Now + Abundance + "changing human consciousness".

So that makes sense. She's trying to change the earths "consciousness" with her TV show, to reflect her ideas about God, which are the type of New Thought Christ Consciousness idea.

reading the transcript of show #1.
I guess no one gets the irony that Tolle talks against cognition, when he has very dense cognition himself?

- Be like a Flower, but don't label it as a flower...
- you're lost in thought.
- Oprah describes her view on God. (Christ consicousness, which explains all this, actually. Eric Butterworth is a New Thought guy from the Unity Church).
OPRAH WINFREY (HOST):
"“Man made god in his
own image, the eternal, the infinite, and unnamable was reduced to a mental idol that you
had to believe in and worship as my god or our god.”
Now I think that's very eloquently put by Eckhart Tolle in chapter
one. But that is exactly what I was feeling when I was, you know, sitting in church that
Sunday listening to the preacher. And you know, it's been a journey to get to the place
where I understand, as I said on the pre-show here, that what I believe is that Jesus came to
show us Christ consciousness.
OPRAH WINFREY (HOST): That Jesus came to show us the way of the heart and that what
Jesus was saying that to show us the higher consciousness that we're all talking about here.
Jesus came to say, “Look I'm going to live in the body, in the human body and I'm going to
show you how it's done.” These are some principles and some laws that you can use to live
by to know that way. And when I started to recognize that, that Jesus didn't come in my
belief, even as a Christian, I don't believe that Jesus came to start Christianity.
OPRAH WINFREY (HOST): So that was also very helpful to me. And as I said earlier in the preshow
here, there is a wonderful book called, “Discover the Power Within You” by Eric
Butterworth, which helped me reconcile the two. Because one of the things that Eckhart says in the beginning of this
book on page six is this book’s main purpose is not to add information or beliefs to your
mind, or to try to convince you of anything, but to bring about a shift in consciousness. That
is to say, to awaken. "

- ET says all religions are "one". uh..not quite...
- ET recommends Joel Goldsmith, another New Thought guy.
- ET says Awakening = Christ Consciousness.
- ET says thoughts are conditioned. (uh, yes, in psychology that is well determined)

OPRAH SAYS:
I asked god to use me. That has been my prayer for many years, you
know. Eckhart says ask life what is its purpose for you. But I would pray on my knees to god
and ask to be used and to be a servant and to allow his spirit to work through me and to not
to just be on television but to be able to use television for a purpose that was greater than
my own personality and to collect shoes in my closet.
It didn't mean I wanted to give up the shoes, but I would if I had to. So when I started to ask
that question of god, how can I be used? God, how do you want me to live? How would you
have me be? I left go of the guilt of did I make it to church or didn't I make it to church.
Because the majesty and power and omniscience of this force that we call “God” cannot be
contained in a church.

- ET says, meditate in a group
- ET says,
And for each a
place within yourself that is unconditioned, that is what I sometimes call the formless
consciousness, spirit expressed beautifully in the Old Testament in the little saying, be still
and know that I am god. That is, and that's in the Old Testament. It contains the entire
wisdom of religion in those few words. Be still, meaning go to that place where the mind is
no longer operating. You are just conscious without thinking. And that is the level where the
eternal resides. So the eternal, the formless, the spirit is the essence of every human being.

ECKHART TOLLE (AUTHOR “A NEW EARTH: AWAKENING TO YOUR LIFE’S PURPOSE”): Dreadful
suffering at night. I would often wake up in extreme feeling of dread and fear; consumed by
dread and fear. The whole world seemed alien. I saw the thought one night, I woke up again
and the thought came, I can't live with myself any longer. I just can't live with myself any
longer, it's so painful.
And that thought repeated itself a few times. And then suddenly, something happened
inside me and I looked at the thought. That was of course awareness. I didn't know at that
time what it was. I became aware of the thought and I said, I cannot live with myself. That's
strange, so there must be I and there must be myself. Am I one or two? I seem to be two.
Because if I can’t live with myself, there must be two of me here.

And then
I, I became aware of the structure of the sentence. And said if that's the case, then who is
the self that I cannot live with? And who am I?
OPRAH WINFREY (HOST): Wow.
ECKHART TOLLE and that
moment of separation happened completely between the essential eye, which is the
essential consciousness that I am, beyond past and future; the eternal stillness.
OPRAH WINFREY (HOST): Stillness. Stillness.
ECKHART TOLLE But
awake stillness. And all my thought processes which were ego would be – all my thought
process, well that created the dreadful suffering. The mind created entity; the unhappy me
was continuously fed by my thinking. It consisted of thinking; a stream of thinking.

OPRAH WINFREY (HOST): So did you just decide that night? I guess I'll wait to see if I will kill
myself?
ECKHART TOLLE (AUTHOR “A NEW EARTH: AWAKENING TO YOUR LIFE’S PURPOSE”): No. The,
kind of, it was a kind of spiritual suicide, so the ego died instead of me having to jump off a
bridge, fortunately, the ego died. The ego dissolved as the unobserved mind dissolved.

ECKHART TOLLE Yes. And
the next morning I woke up and looked around and looked, everything looked so fresh. All
the old furniture, the pencil. Everything looked fresh and alive. As I caught a bird song
outside as if I’d never heard it before.
Because the mind had become still and there was simply the beautiful perception of
everything. The sunlight coming through the curtains. Incredible. I’ve never seen that
before.
OPRAH WINFREY (HOST): Sounds like a drug trip.
ECKHART TOLLE Well,
later on, people tell me, they ask me is that like acid. Because some people take acid and
they say oh we experienced that when we took acid, they told me many times. Until finally,
I’ll tell you in confidence, finally I tried acid just for once.
OPRAH WINFREY (HOST): You're telling me in confidence here?
ECKHART TOLLE Yes.
I tried it just once just to see…
OPRAH WINFREY (HOST): If it was the same thing?
ECKHART TOLLE Yes.

ECKHART TOLLE That's
right. So when you are no longer there when you walk through your garden or wherever.
OPRAH WINFREY (HOST): And you're not naming every flower.
ECKHART TOLLE You're
not naming, and also you're not carrying the burden of a heavy me, a personality, a person
with its problems, with its past, with its future.
OPRAH WINFREY (HOST): You're not thinking.

ET says,
And besides understanding the book is not the essential thing, it's secondary.
The first thing is to experience the truth of it rather than conceptual understanding, the
essence of what's in the book but in any case can't be understood conceptually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 03:04AM by The Anticult.

Re: A New Earth - Eckhart Tolle - Oprah cult
Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: March 14, 2008 05:45AM

Great report on Tolleprah. Thanks!

Re: A New Earth - Eckhart Tolle - Oprah Christ Consciousness
Date: March 14, 2008 02:13PM

well, its great to know that...

1) Oprah believes in the New Thought "Christ Consciousness" idea, as put forward in “Discover the Power Within You” by Eric Butterworth, and the others from that Unity New Thought area. So she really believes all that stuff like The Secret, and all the other sects she promotes indirectly.

2) she also said she said,

"But I would pray on my knees to god and ask to be used and to be a servant and to allow his spirit to work through me and to not to just be on television but to be able to use television for a purpose that was greater than my own personality".

So that pretty much explains it.
It also makes a lot of money, but that is covered in the Abundance part of the Christ Consciousness idea from above. (Jesus' multiplication of the loaves and fishes, etc).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 02:16PM by The Anticult.

Re: Eckhart Tolle - Aaaarrrggggghhhhhh!
Posted by: question lady ()
Date: March 29, 2008 03:50AM

If I hear one more Tolle-head analyzing themselves and everyone around them with their" tricky ego" -"pain-body" gibberish I might have to go scream. My tongue is bleeding from biting it too often.

You can't say anything because a contrary point of view means you are coming from your ego and you need to be in the now.

Aaaarrrggggghhhhhh!

Okay. Just needed to vent in a safe place. Carry on.

Current Page: 10 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.