Current Page: 7 of 24
Re: The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle - Cognitive Suicide
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: February 13, 2008 06:07AM

Steve Salerno, who wrote the book SHAM
[www.amazon.com]

has some of his views on Eckhart Tolle on his blog in 2 parts, with lots of comments.

Friday, February 01, 2008
Tolle calls. Part 1.
[shambook.blogspot.com]

Thursday, February 07, 2008
Tolle calls. Part 2.
[shambook.blogspot.com]

creepy pic of ET Eckhart Tolle here.
[bp1.blogger.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: golfer6716 ()
Date: February 13, 2008 09:18AM

I admire ET. I loved reading The Power of Now. It changed my life

Posted by: golfer6716 ()
Date: February 13, 2008 09:23AM

No, it's not. You can prove this to yourself how there is more than one "voice" inside your head. Do this. Close your eyes and think to yourself, I will wait for the first thought to come into my mind. As you quietly are waiting for the thought, you are silently thinking- watching. Soon, a thought out of nowhere will arise in your mind. If you noticed, this was an entirely different thought and you actually waited for it to appear. Was there not another part of you that was the watcher and noticed when the though appeared. If you only could think one thought at a time, you would not be able to notice another though appearing and that would be strange.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: February 13, 2008 10:18AM

golfer6716:

Last warning.

You seem to be here to defend certain people you support like Tolle and Byron Katie, which is OK.

But promoting their beliefs and books is not OK.

This board is not here for you to shill for your spiritual gurus.

Either stop or you will be banned from the board.

I am specifically referring to the posts that you have made, which were not approved, recommending books.

Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: February 14, 2008 06:53AM

Anticult, that 'creepy' picture of Tolle is quite revealing, I think. Now, where have I seen that look before? Oh, yes, the expression of someone on too much giggle grass, if you get my meaning!

With regard to 'watching' your thought processes (again, a notion by someone on too much weed), of course it's easy to understand. I mean, I have a thought and I 'watch' that thought, and then I watch the watcher of that thought, etc.

Tolle and his oh-I-just-had-an-amazing-thought ideology is something begged, borrowed and blue (or, perhaps, green in this instance). Wake up and smell the ganga, this guy's agenda is like any LGAT: he wants you to stop thinking for yourself so he can do it for you.

Date: February 15, 2008 10:11AM

Okay, it may be unfair of me to suggest that Tolle likes to inhale the great Rastafarian jolly weed. And even if he did, so what? But looking into those eyes, I'd certainly suggest he considers taking his holidays to someplace else other than The Netherlands!

He might be a little sick with the flu?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 10:12AM by Jack Oskar Larm.

Posted by: freedom fighter ()
Date: February 17, 2008 02:39PM

I recommend the Dick and Jane book series. Do you all remember when we were kids and life seemed so much simpler?

See spot run. See spot run from cult. See him run real fast. See Jane run now.

FF

Posted by: left_of_the_dial ()
Date: February 17, 2008 07:42PM

The guy wrote a pretty good book that seems to have helped a lot of people. Seven pages into the thread and no one has presented any evidence that what he teaches poses any harm or danger to anyone or has caused any harm or danger to anyone. Lots of irrational fear about his writings causing "cognitive suicide" even though no examples or well thought out explanations are given. When you leave your house and actually talk to people you actually find that those who are mentally disturbed or depressed suffer from the very thought patterns he says causes suffering. People can't stand him because Oprah likes his books are recommends them to her audience.

Date: February 18, 2008 10:54AM

Hi Freedom Fighter, I think you're onto something. The world could do with some colourful kid's books on the subject of cults. And once you've finished the Dick and Jane series, I think there's always room for another Asterix book: Asterix and the Cults, perhaps. I'd love to see Obelix tossing stoney-eyed cult members around the forest!

Posted by: SuzyQ ()
Date: February 18, 2008 05:09PM

"until my 30th year, I lived in a state of almost continuous anxiety interspersed with periods of suicidal depression".

Then he gives a bizarre account of how one day his...

"mind stopped", and "there were no more thoughts", "for the next 5 months, I lived in a state of uninterrupted deep peace and bliss", "the suffering self collapsed".

"I had no relationships, no job, no home, no identity. I spent almost 2 years sitting on park benches in a state of the most intense joy".

Now I have no idea if this is true, or is a story, or a delusion, or what.
But it sounds to me like he might have some type of Identity Disorder, and perhaps a Depersonalization episode, or something of this nature.

The same thing happened to me, different circumstances, same intense joy. Then a few months later I was given ET's book and lived in a sort of enlightened fantasyland for almost two years. I understood EVERYTHING this guy was talking about!

Fast forward seven years later and I can now say that my experience was nothing more than an intense psychotic manic episode...the upside of manic depression, you know, the reason why bipolar sufferers won't take their medication.

You've hit the nail on the head here in my opinion.

Unfortunately, these mind-stopping techniques can make one feel good. I say unfortunately because people are being sold a load of harmful bunk along with these techniques and they feel better than they did beforehand so they gobble it up whole...delusions and all. It reminds me of the dynamic meditations of Osho, intense exercise makes us feel good. People would do better to skip the guru/enlightenment mindfuck and just go play tennis.

Cheers,

Suzy

Current Page: 7 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.