"Inner bonding" with Margaret Paul
Posted by: JayJoseph ()
Date: September 02, 2008 09:12AM

Hi,
Has anyone had positive or negative experiences with the Inner Bonding workshops?.......The Dr. Margaret Paul seems to have written some books and does the weekend, 3 day, and 5 day workshops.......It sounds like good healing techniques BUT after doing research here I am not so sure........One of the facilitators is Rythea Lee Kaufman who I believe is the daughter of Bears Kaufman who runs the Option Institute......I have been told that she claims to have suffered from childhood abuse and sexual abuse and no longer speaks to her parents.......The Option Institute has been called a cult and many people have had negative experiences........but the Inner bonding web page looks like so many self-help/healing seminar organiztion.......Thanks
Jay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Inner bonding" with Margaret Paul
Date: May 11, 2020 11:21AM

Rythea lee runs a peer-counseling group in Massachusetts that is based on and uses the same language as scientology practices, discharging, ect. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Posted by: guest ()
Date: July 30, 2022 08:49PM

The Inner Bonding workshops is a cult. Dr. Margaret Paul, looking back in hindsight, and her assistants were running a soft cult.

AT one of the retreats, looking in hindsight again, was also very cult-like and she actually would be irritated with people who didn't fit the Inner Bonding

Study any leaders language and how they speak with the tone of their voice. They do not talk in normal conversations like ordinary people, but always as a superior to you, never as an equal. They are not able to have normal everyday
conversations, small talk, talk about families, casual conversations if you notice ... like the average person.

With most cults, the leaders will reverse any disagreements for doubts about the cult group and redirect it towards you to cause doubt, etc. Cult leaders do not know they are acting as cult leaders, most of the time because they are eceived themselves.

Most of the people at Hay House, probably all of them, are also like that too.
If you do research on Wayne Dyer, Marianne Williamson, etc ... they all have
been caught in scandals. Marrianne Williamson did not pay her staff the campaign fees of thousands (when she was running for some kind of office) and had to go back on tour to finally reimburse them, after they had to make a noise.

"forgive them for they not know what they do" (KJV)
"do not partake in their sin" (KJV)

... and walk away.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2022 09:17PM by guest.

Posted by: rubyinparadise ()
Date: February 25, 2024 10:08PM

Sadly, I would have to agree that Inner Bonding has cult elements. I'm not an expert in cults, so I will try to choose my words carefully here. I've been practicing Inner Bonding for over a decade, but my interactions with Margaret Paul have (thankfully) been limited because I learned the six step process from someone else, who is educated and experienced in supporting people in ethical ways (MSW, LCSW).

I even joined the IBFTP (Inner Bonding Facilitator Training Program) but I have now exited of my own volition about four months in, having learned about how many of Margaret Paul's direct clients have been harmed by how she is nowadays distorting her own teaching, and exerting spiritual authority over them in ways that are manipulative and abusive. The leadership of the organization covers up and minimizes the harm that is being done. Ms. Paul is not held to account. She has only been given "feedback" many, many times that usually she refuses to consider, and instead accuses the person raising concerns that they are "in their Wounded Self".

I may post more on this, but for now just wanted to affirm that, as someone who has benefitted greatly from the process itself, I'm sad to say that the organization is not healthy. Margaret Paul also promotes other extremely dubious practitioners of various "modalities" that are pseudoscientific and scammy in nature through her cross-marketing email list and live events, some of which you can find on YouTube.

Inner Bonding tends to attract people who have tried other modalities and haven't managed to feel healed/well psychologically or emotionally. Lots of people with early childhood abuse or trauma, many of whom had parents with narcissistic or even borderline tendencies or diagnoses (as did Margaret Paul's own parent.) In other words, a highly vulnerable cohort of people. Ms. Paul is essentially practicing psychotherapy without maintaining her therapeutic license or continuing education. She is known as Dr. Paul by her followers, Yes, she does have a Ph.D. but imho this is done primarily to lend credibility to her work while she flatly states on her website and in interviews that "psychotherapy doesn't work". (see also: Nicole LePera). With no accountability to an ethics board or state licensure board, those who enter therapeutic relationship with Ms. Paul are at risk.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2024 10:12PM by rubyinparadise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.