Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
More about Neshama Carlebach
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: August 27, 2008 11:33PM

This posting in a discussion about Neshama Carlebach, her musical career and some issues I have with what I think is her lifestyle and spirituality. I know she is a figure in the public eye, the daughter of one of the most famous and most controversial rabbis of the last generation and a person who has a thriving career as a “superstar in the world in the Jewish music industry” as her website says.
I have 5 of her recordings now and had one I gave away. It seems that she only sings for entertainment and it also seems that her level of frumkiet, “religious observance” is something that I would take to task, as do many people.
Based upon the lyrics that are in some of her songs in English on the Dancing with My Soul recording, she seems to have some kind of issue with honesty (something about “your obsession for the truth, the whole and nothing but the truth”) as well as impressing me with being a person who herself is in need of a therapist (“the hole that is in my soul…” or something like that). She also relented at the last concert I went to that she gave some years ago at Makor, “You can get really into your depression.”
As a daughter of such an influential rabbi and an uplifting one too through his music it seems that a lot of it didn’t rub off on her. I knew Shlomo as being full of life and joy (but that was when he was still married and before what Israel is going through in recent years).
I also learned through the grapevine that she lived with a boyfriend, and I have issues with that too. It seems that many Orthodox Jews are appalled at her behavior ( a rabbi I know told me, “There’s a lot of Lashan Hara (“gossip”)” about that girl” - and I would take her to task for claiming to be Orthodox. But maybe she is just the Modern Day All-American Girl. My marriage failed so who am I to judge her? Well, there is freedom of speech in the USA so here I am.
It is worthy to note that she turned down a gig at a so-called Messianic Synagogue as
she said that she didn’t want to “send the wrong message.” Nevertheless she sings at churches and a church is singing on her newest outing One and One, which is the title cut of the latest recording she has and I will buy it to relay some information about it on the board.
It should also be noted that her father’s first recording, Haneshama Lach (“The soul is Yours”) had the church of Father Divine singing on it. And most Orthodox Jews would consider that group’s philosophy about their leader to be Avodah Zarah or “Idol Worship.” Divine was considered to be god incarnate by the way.
I have business dealings with Neshama and her sister Nedara as they licensed me to do a limited run of 3 recordings. The CDs are called Leuli Hemanti (“The Goodness of the L-rd”), Melech Rachman (“Merciful King”) and Asei Lema’an or “Redeem the World for the Sake of Jerusalem”.
I was grateful for the opportunity but it never came to fruition and I have ceased working on the recordings. This is despite the fact that I have recording equipment at home and some really nifty gadgets.
I wish her the best and hope she will manage despite the issue of Kol Isha Ervadth of “A woman’s voice is licentiousness.” Many times she sings to women’s only crowds and she sings to non-Orthodox groups although many Orthodox Jews don’t want to have business dealings with non-Orthodox Jews.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More about Neshama Carlebach
Posted by: Michael Smith ()
Date: September 13, 2008 08:59AM

I am not sure what the objective of your post is other than to judge Neshama Carlebach. Her level of observance is a personal issue. Why should she observe or act in a way that you deem appropriate? What impact does her lifestyle have on you? As far as the Orthodox being appalled by her behavior is concerned, this is quite sad. They Orthodox should embrace her as a very talented, successful Jewish person who moves people with her music It sad that you use the work "behavior" to describe her choices. Behavior used in this context is inappropriate in that it is a term used mostly for children and she is an adult. Simply put, that is a sexist comment. Further, I think your comment about her living with a boyfriend is probably the most disturbing. Not because she lived with someone or did not live with someone, but because you are putting this in a public forum when it is a private matter. You must be a fan of Neshama's because you have several of her CDs but a fan wouldn't make these types of comments.

On a lighter note, I do have the One and One CD and it is amazing. It is very different in that all of the lyrics are in English and the style is a combination pop, rock and Jazz. I can tell you that if she were more well known, many of the songs would be big hits in the US. I also think her CDs in Hebrew are great, but I think there is a limit to how creative one can be with Jewish spiritual music. One and One allows her to be very creative and it definitely works for me. I must warn you that the lyrics in One and One are very emotional and do include references to relationships, so I guess you might be upset by that. I would encourage you to buy the CD. In my opinion, if she puts out a couple of more CDs like One and One, she will get a lot of attention and probably do concerts for much larger crowds.

Shabbat Shalom,
Michael

Date: September 13, 2008 10:25PM

Friday, September 12, 2008
I just got Neshama’s new recording, One and One the other day. I have listened to it quite a bit and have some reflections on some of the lyrics and the copy on the CD jacket.
First of all, the lyrics on the title cut; One and One mention something about, “The day before Creation, the day before the damage was done.” I haven’t the faintest idea of what she is talking about despite my being involved with Orthodox Judaism, her father and Chabad for many years. I have read extensive literature by those groups, taken quite a few classes in and if anyone can enlighten me, I would be appreciative.
I sent Neshama an email about it but she hasn’t responded as of yet. I hope she will explain herself in concert at least.
One of the problems with being in the public eye is that you are held up to a microscope under analysis. Joe Lieberman had this problem as a Modern Orthodox Jew who was a Vice Presidential candidate on Al Gore’s Presidential ticket. It was mentioned how Lieberman’s wife and Tipper Gore dressed in almost identical fashions in a NJ newspaper. The whole thing was also discussed in a Jewish newspaper I used to correspond with and it seems that Neshama will also be analyzed. She already is on this site by me.
Judaism has very strict laws when it comes to sexuality, and well, what she is all about is really a quandary. Like I said, I just think she is the “Modern All American Red-Blooded Girl.”
It seems that rather abandoning her roots, her father’s legacy et al. she wants to be a representative of the Jewish community and use her background as a spring board for promoting Judaism and this is besides being problematic for anyone, it might completely backfire on her and on all of the Jewish community. And the reasons why have already been posted by me on this site.
I have friends who are Modern Orthodox and they complain, as do I about Rabbi Berg and Rabbi Shmueli Boteach cheapening Judaism and watering it down as they popularize their beliefs. Judaism has had extensive problems with people venturing forth to reach non-Jewish audiences. Madonna is really not a good representative of Judaism and I am appalled as are most frum Jews that I know. That tongue kiss with Britney Spears was really the last straw to many of us in Judaism.
Now, Neshama may be “too big” to discuss all this on Jewish radio programs (Rabbi Dov Shurin in Israel might do it on his show in Israel) but on this board, the issue is being scrutinized. We have to give our viewpoint. Rabbi Dov Shurin said that those of us, who follow after Shlomo Carlebach, have to kasher or “purify” his legacy. If Neshama has fallen down in any way, she would have to explain her actions.
There were false messiahs like Shabtai Tzvi (he tried to convert a Moslem Caliph and wound up converting to Islam himself. He studied Kabbalah and got the brilliant idea that he was the messiah. His sect the Shabbataens still continues), and Sholom Molcho who created havoc in the past. And Neshama’s father was a student of Kabbalah himself.
In fact, I had a video called The Power of Kabbalah put out by Rabbi Berg and it had Shlomo’s nigun (“song”) Elocho Dili on it. The song’s title means, “God of Glory.”
In addition to this, Shlomo was the subject of an article in Berg’s magazine some years ago. I read the issue.
Rabbi Berg talked about the coming of the messiah on his video and Shlomo laid it on real thick as per his wanting the long awaited geulah. I know that Shlomo died a very bitter man as per recent events.
Shlomo used to go to a spiritualist who was his “healer.” I met the healer and he told me that he really didn’t even want to discuss Shlomo with me, but did in brief. I was in Flatbush living with the Azar family when this happened. Yehudit Azar went too. Yehudit said something about “what if all of it - the spiritualist stuff – is untrue” or words to that effect.
Neshama mentioned at the last concert I went to how there was a bombing in Israel. She is in the thick of it being a frequent traveler to the Holy Land.
I think that Neshama has a very good voice. And I play her music every single day. I really am a big fan of hers even if she just sings for entertainment. Whether or not she will be able to break into the jazz/pop market as she wants to is a good question. There is a lot of competition out there and I hope if it doesn’t pan out that she won’t be hurt psychologically over it. My inability to break into the music markets really depressed me. I am only now overcoming the problem.
Bonnie Raitt the blues guitarist and singer persisted in breaking into the music world and she finally made it some years ago. And so did Lita Ford who is a friend of Eddie Van Halen’s
The target market in the Jewish music arena is very small. And it is only natural for Neshama to want to broaden her horizons. I tried to live in Jewish neighborhoods in Israel and also in Brooklyn, but I go to church these days. So I can tell you all about it.
This is not an ax to grind here nor is it a vendetta. I actually want to thank the Carlebach daughters for cluing me in for a piece of the action. But, she like her father is controversial from where I sit.
I already heard it discussed by a rabbi who used to live in my area years ago (he was a next door neighbor), that he had her for a concert but never wanted to hire her again. (That may only be him though he was kind of radical – he said that when it comes to Israel “There is a military solution” as per the Arabs). He said that she wanted everything done her way and she was very demanding. He also said that she didn’t have her father’s charisma. He wanted her to start small and work her way up.
Actually I think it’s good that she is not going to extremes the way her father did. It would be positively ludicrous if she ran around hugging and kissing everyone like her father did.
Neshama isn’t the only woman in Jewish music. Debbie Friedman is also there and she is a Reform Jewess. I don’t know anything else about her though. It might be good to compare notes.
I bought the One and One CD off of Amazon for over $32. I didn’t buy it in a Jewish shop near me because I have had repeated problems with owner who is an Orthodox Jew – he’s a rabbi - because he knew me when I was a computer programmer. He keeps trying to “help me” and I decided to pay about $11 more for the recording to get my agenda done, which is reviewing the CD and providing the Rick A. Ross Institute with (hopefully) quality feedback.
You have to remember that rabbis consider themselves to be foremost of all, leaders and they want to guide and also to control people. The Orthodoxy believes that they are God’s true representatives and what I think of that is not news to anyone who has read my postings on this site. I am under treatment by people I can trust.
My purpose here is to spark dialogue on these issues. All the Jewish people are affected. Maybe someone else would like to speak up.

Date: September 13, 2008 10:26PM

Neshama is trying to become a spokesperson for the Jewish community. That is the focus of my criticism of her. And yes, I am a fan of hers.

Date: September 13, 2008 11:28PM

I think the first song and title of the CD, One and One is about the World Trade Center. In my opinion, the song one and one, is good but not one of the better songs on the CD. I guess you have to be really be into the gospel choir to have more of an appreciation of it. Neshama is very into the music of the choir and I can understand why-they are great singers. Perhaps it is an acquired taste and I will appreciate that type of music in the future. I would say that at least 8 songs on the CD could be bit hits, but her following in the US is so small at this point, that most people will never get to listen to them. If she really want to break into the pop/rock/jazz world, (I do not know if that is her intention) she needs to capitalize on this opportunity. She needs to invest in this CD in a big way, either using her own money or via external financial backing.

I will have to more to say later about the Jewish issues. For now I will just say that I do not think she is trying to be a representative of the Jewish community.

Date: September 13, 2008 11:56PM

The whole thing about Neshama's alleged living with her boyfriend needs to be analyzed. Essentially, in this day and age, people get married very late and almost no one hangs on until they are in their late 20's and 30's to have relations with the opposite sex. Not too long ago people used to get married when they were barely in puberty.
My mom also told me that Shlomo Carlebach was trying to live Judaism, "The old, old way before the rabbis made all those strict laws about sexuality." The world has changed a lot.

Date: September 14, 2008 05:16AM

richardmgreen
She already is on this site by me.

I am not sure what you are talking about here.

richardmgreen
Judaism has very strict laws when it comes to sexuality, and well, what she is all about is really a quandary. Like I said, I just think she is the “Modern All American Red-Blooded Girl.”

She does not follow all of the laws/customs. especially if they have no meaning to her. Makes sense to me! She respects Kol Isha as it aplies to other people, but not to herself. It is personal choice. Who wrote this Kol Isha law anyway? It is not in the Torah. She is a modern woman and I respect that more than if she followed all of the rituals. It shows that she thinks and questions, which is a good thing.

richardmgreen
It seems that rather abandoning her roots, her father’s legacy et al. she wants to be a representative of the Jewish community and use her background as a spring board for promoting Judaism and this is besides being problematic for anyone, it might completely backfire on her and on all of the Jewish community. And the reasons why have already been posted by me on this site.

I am not sure why you say that she wants to be a representative of the Jewish community. She is proud of her identity and wants to share it with others who are interested.

richardmgreen
I have friends who are Modern Orthodox and they complain, as do I about Rabbi Berg and Rabbi Shmueli Boteach cheapening Judaism and watering it down as they popularize their beliefs. Judaism has had extensive problems with people venturing forth to reach non-Jewish audiences. Madonna is really not a good representative of Judaism and I am appalled as are most frum Jews that I know. That tongue kiss with Britney Spears was really the last straw to many of us in Judaism.

I do care very much about Madonna, as what she does has no impact on my life. As far as reaching non Jewish audiences, G-d bless her. She is not trying to convert anyone. If she reverts to singing mostly in Hebrew, not many non Jews will be interested. Her latest CD, however, would appeal to almost anyone

richardmgreen
Now, Neshama may be “too big” to discuss all this on Jewish radio programs (Rabbi Dov Shurin in Israel might do it on his show in Israel) but on this board, the issue is being scrutinized. We have to give our viewpoint. Rabbi Dov Shurin said that those of us, who follow after Shlomo Carlebach, have to kasher or “purify” his legacy. If Neshama has fallen down in any way, she would have to explain her actions.

She says that her actions are consistent with the philosophy of her dad. I do not know enough about SC to question it.

richardmgreen
I think that Neshama has a very good voice. And I play her music every single day. I really am a big fan of hers even if she just sings for entertainment. Whether or not she will be able to break into the jazz/pop market as she wants to is a good question. There is a lot of competition out there and I hope if it doesn’t pan out that she won’t be hurt psychologically over it. My inability to break into the music markets really depressed me. I am only now overcoming the problem.

The key for her is to sing in English if she wants to become more popular in the US. This applies to non Jews as well as Jews. Most Jews in the US do not understand Hebrew.

richardmgreen
I already heard it discussed by a rabbi who used to live in my area years ago (he was a next door neighbor), that he had her for a concert but never wanted to hire her again. (That may only be him though he was kind of radical – he said that when it comes to Israel “There is a military solution” as per the Arabs). He said that she wanted everything done her way and she was very demanding. He also said that she didn’t have her father’s charisma. He wanted her to start small and work her way up.

It is difficult for me to comment on that, but that may be related to sexism. A woman's asertiveness is not appreciated by all men.

richardmgreen
Actually I think it’s good that she is not going to extremes the way her father did. It would be positively ludicrous if she ran around hugging and kissing everyone like her father did.

Perhaps she is more conservative than you think.

richardmgreen
Neshama isn’t the only woman in Jewish music. Debbie Friedman is also there and she is a Reform Jewess. I don’t know anything else about her though. It might be good to compare notes.

I have a couple of Debbie Friedman CDs and they are good. She does alot of holiday related stuff, which is another area that Neshama should consider. After listening to Neshama's latest CD, I have no reason to listen to Debbie Friedman's non holiday stuff. It is time for Debbie Friedman to pass the torch.

richardmgreen
I bought the One and One CD off of Amazon for over $32.

You paid too much.

Date: September 15, 2008 11:59PM

Look at Neshama's website. She mentions how she is following in her father's footsteps. I have more to comment later.

Date: September 16, 2008 01:59AM

Saturday, September 13, 2008
Neshama was gifted with a beautiful voice and her father’s was admittedly not the best. God gave her the tools she needs to survive and I hope she will own up to her legacy.
When her father did concerts it wasn’t just about some pretty melodies. He was a teacher and he was one of the leaders of the Jewish people (he had that book about How to Get Power How to Use It).
Neshama will have access to Jewish people and will be in Jewish enclaves all over the world as a result of her talents and her lineage or yichus. And she may not even be limited to Jewish circles as she tours and goes to non-Jewish audiences as her father did. This can be extremely problematic.
Aside from songs and stories her father was giving over mussar (“ethical teachings and refinement”) as per his gigs. On the Nachmu Ami (“Comfort ye … my people”) recording (Neshama was shown in a picture on the cover when she was a little girl) Shlomo goes into a whole talk about how a wealthy Jew sees a poor one and if he does nothing to help him out it is wrong and unfair because “You just came from a big meal at the Plaza – a really nice hotel in Jerusalem… and you have seen a Jew who maybe hasn’t eaten in a week…”
I tried to break into the Jewish music industry and as of yet haven’t managed to. You may say that I am jealous of Neshama and it’s all bitterness and sour grapes. It isn’t. I wasn’t just striving to be a musician I was aiming at becoming a leader in my own right. I was such at the 8th St. Shul.
We had food and a soup kitchen there Rabbi Fried and I as his Assistant Rabbi took people in from the streets and were able to escalate the homeless getting welfare and disability benefits because they were living in a house of God. Rabbi Fried and I weren’t fooling around there.
I didn’t just want to become a professional guitarist but I wanted to further the positive aspects of what I learned from Shlomo both in terms of his life’s example and his teachings. His loss left a big gap in my life and in many people’s lives.
In Christianity, jealousy is one of the 7 deadly sins. But in Judaism it is said that the yetzer hara or “evil inclination” is actually a very good thing because without it no one would get married or pursue a career.
If Neshama is going to “embrace her fathers legacy” it seems to me that she will have to use it and take it seriously that she isn’t just a secular entertainer. That is my take on it anyway.
Yesterday, when I wrote the last piece on Neshama I was overcome by a spell of dizziness as per my vertigo problems. I have had this problem several times. It’s actually very frightening and it has happened several times when writing my pieces about the Carlebach Movement. I took it as a cue from the Almighty that I should be very careful about what I say on this public forum and level with people.
I am not just dealing with a problem with an entertainer here. Neshama, whether she realizes it or not, is a spiritual power in her own right just like her father was. And I am too a spiritual power whether or not I am a commercial success yet or not.

Date: September 16, 2008 08:39AM

She certainly has a legacy but I am not sure about what she plans to do with it. There is actually a line in her CD One and One something like "sell my soul for my legacy. " I am not exactly sure about what this means.

She is musically following in her father's foot steps. I am not so sure she wants to be the representative of the Jewish people or actively strive to convert secular Jews into Baal Teshuvas. My impression is that her father was very involved with the Baal Teshuva movement, but I do not think that this is one of Neshama's goals. Of course, I don't know what is in her heart because I do not know her personally. From what I can tell through print an audio interviews, she is mostly trying to be a performer. She is very proud of her lineage and seems to have a deep love for Judaism, but I still don't think converting people is her goal. To me it is clear that she embraces her father's legacy, but in her own way.

I am not sure what you mean by Neshama is a spiritual power. If she is, it is not for the Orthodox world. I guess she could be a spiritual power for the Conservative and Reformed Jewish World, but most people that would be listening to her music would simply be seeking good music and not necessarily be looking for something religious.

By the way, it seems you have led quite an interesting life. You seem to have a connection to Judaism and Christianity. I am not making any judgements- just an observation.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.