Current Page: 72 of 197
Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: budhistcke ()
Date: March 07, 2011 02:14AM

Mindfulness - I’m not an expert but have some knowledge of Zen and Tibetan Buddhism. Whilst all concepts ultimately need to be dissolved, all authentic Buddhist traditions I have experienced make the connection between beneficial and non-beneficial concepts. So it seems that mindfulness is necessary for most of us most of the time.

Did the advice you were given come from a reliable teacher? Lama Ole has said that none in the DW except himself holds transmission, so you shouldn’t worry if Lay Teachers or friends are sometimes a little confused? If you can see things more clearly now, spare a little compassion for those who can’t.

Spiritual development means that you will ‘move on’. in essence you have broken some concepts. The realisation that something doesn’t work is just an idea and doesn’t have to be taken too seriously. What can we do to bring benefit to ourselves and those around us?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SteveLpool ()
Date: March 10, 2011 05:05PM

Thanks Budhistcke.

For me I was sure that mindfulness was an important component in Buddhist traditions and your post appears to confirm this. Thanks for taking the time to make a contribution.

Best wishes.

Steve

Posted by: suenam ()
Date: March 11, 2011 09:23AM

...at the risk of making a judgement, I would seriously question the idea of eschewing mindfullness in favour of chauvanism and racial/religious intolerance, and I find myself returning to this idea that while Ole Nydahl may well pay lip service to the concept of mindfulness, the "transmission" passed on by his actual behaviour undermines any correct transmission he may give verbally.

I can remember Nydahl saying something like... as a Buddhist, one should respect the conventions of the time and place where one lives. Now this may actually be the case in Denmark or Poland, but when he visits the UK and espouses ideas that seem 40 years out of date, he does come across as being somewhat reactionary.

An example of this is political correctness, where in practice there can be seen to be some ridiculous extremes, but neverthless the fundamental idea of being PC is that of tolerance, so when Nydahl and his followers rubbish the whole idea, they are at risk of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Not only do they come across as being backward and out of touch, but they also appear to be totally unsubtle and uncritical in their thoughts, speech, and actions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 09:43AM by suenam.

Posted by: dariusb ()
Date: March 15, 2011 07:22PM

Hi there,
I am not too sure what are we trying to achieve in this forum, it is good place to share our experience with DW but I can not see further development of our ideas and further actions About what could we do to continue our development as Buddhist and how could we help each other . What I mean by that is if any one is from uk(London) for example could they let me know did they go to other centre or they spoke to some teachers who could have given advise which helped.
I did have great advise from Lama Jampa Thaye which put me back on track, however I stil would like to one day talk to the Karmapa Thaye Dorje and Shamar Rimpoche.
If people have different agenda if they want to somehow to change DW it is fine by me but I think it just a fight with Wind mills, they(DW) happy to be together ,most of them think that it is right way what they do. Most of the people I met in there are very like minded it suites then very well, problem is that when a bit different people come to the centres and get disappointed and after that stop looking elsewhere , that is the problem.
I do not know how many people on this forum are based in UK but I have an idea and it is just an idea ,to ask Shamar Rimpoche to open one of his centres here in uk What do you think? If any one is interested please let me know. 
darius 

Posted by: dariusb ()
Date: March 15, 2011 07:53PM

One more think
if people of DW read this forum why they are not asking simple question , why people are talking about their organisation in this forum what is wrong with their organisation why this thread is not stoping? does it mean that there are problems and do they need to look in to where those problems are?
If they are what they say they are
( Buddhist ) do they ask them selves how situation like this helps for all sentient beings and their own development
I hope some of them are reading this forum and I hope they let the rest of us to know the answers to this simple questions
, if moderator won't allow them to answer my email is cleefy69@ yahoo.co.uk
Enough for them to hide behind their slogans like " people are comfused" or " people don't know anything".
I am asking very simple questions don't be cowards.
ps maybe I am lucky and some of you could get answers from Lama Ole Him self, some of you are very close to him(hi Steve Hi Daffydd).
I am waiting for your answers if you read this forum DW people.
Darius

Posted by: john_lpool ()
Date: March 15, 2011 10:53PM

Hi all. I am a "graduate" of DW. I think mindfullness and seeing things the way they "really are" without judgement are the gifts of any "Budhist" practice but how that impacts our everyday life is what matters. Llama Ole is different things to different people. He provided me with a marvellous lesson in seeing things the way they really are. He is what he is and seems to enjoy his life. My concern is to enjoy mine. My own understanding of Bhudism was well informed by the saying "the finger that points to the moon is not the moon".

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 15, 2011 11:18PM

"He is what he is and seems to enjoy his life. My concern is to enjoy mine."

Contrast this with the Mahayana Soto Zen robe chant:

Beings are numberless--I vow to awaken with them

Delusions are inexhaustible--I vow to end them
Dharma Gates are boundless-I vow to enter them
Buddha's way is trustworthy--I vow to become it

Precepts

I vow to avoid all evil
I vow to cultivate all good
I vow to live for the benefit of all beings (vs 'my concern is to enjoy mine)
I vow to honor forms and ceremonies (vs acting like an adolescent male as Ole does and claiming thats an innovative form of Buddhism for the needs of Westerners)

Grave Precepts

I vow not to kill
I vow not to steal
I vow not to lie
I vow to beware of misusing sexuality
I vow to beware of darkening mind and body of self and other with intoxicants
I vow to beware of praising self (eg Diamond Way) at the expense of others (Muslims who are peaceful)
I vow to beware of speech that brings injustice and disharmony where before there existed justice and harmony

I vow to beware of harboring ill will (including against minority groups it is now fashionable to dump on)
I vow to beware of excessive greed (including for pleasures, partying, pretty girls, cute men, money, attracting large audiences)

And I vow to protect the Buddha as the perfect teacher
The Dharma (life on lifes terms, not as I want it to be)
And look after the Sangha (and that means all members, whether rich or poor, old or young, with no favoritism toward those who are rich, sexualy attractive, young, or the same skin color as the leader)

'And having attained enlightenment, I will continue to follow these precepts, for these precepts are the mind of Buddha and are one and the same with enlightenment.'

This is the Bodhisattva Vow (Zen) and the foundations of Bodhichitta (Vajrayana)

Merely enjoying life is for those still lost in greed, hate and illusion.

Posted by: jah ()
Date: March 16, 2011 01:21AM

john_lpool
Hi all. I am a "graduate" of DW. I think mindfullness and seeing things the way they "really are" without judgement are the gifts of any "Budhist" practice but how that impacts our everyday life is what matters. Llama Ole is different things to different people. He provided me with a marvellous lesson in seeing things the way they really are. He is what he is and seems to enjoy his life. My concern is to enjoy mine. My own understanding of Bhudism was well informed by the saying "the finger that points to the moon is not the moon".

Hello John,

Could you please explain to me what is meant by "seeing things as they really are," and also "the finger that points to the moon is not the moon."

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 16, 2011 01:26AM

Seeing things as they really are means without the distortions produced by our own body-mind-speech complex of greed, fear hate and delusion.

And to do that takes a lifetime and often longer.

As for finger pointing at the moon, thats part of the old proverb dont mistake the finger that points towad the moon as the moon.

Dont mistake Ole as the Buddha just because he mentions the Buddha.

Posted by: john_lpool ()
Date: March 16, 2011 03:45AM

Hi Coboy. Hi Jah. Thanks for the replies. First off I dont claim any allegiance to any form of "Bhudism" or practice. By "graduate" I mean I have moved on (about 5 years ago). However I will take on board anything that I find usefull. Corboy, I think anyone who can try with conviction to follow the precepts recommended by the Soto Zen system you illustrate will surely live an enjoyable life. ( I have come across at least one who comes close and certainly seems to be living a very useful and happy life.) Certainly an inspiration for me to try to follow. Jah, I cant explain what is meant by seeing things the way they are, only what it means to me. For me it is an aspiration rather than something I will ever achieve. The important thing is what it means to you. For me I trust my own instincts to guide me to guard against the danger of mass delusion which I have seen. If something seems ridiculous then there is a good chance that it is riduculous (for example holes in the top of the head through Powa). As for the finger and moon saying I agree with Corboy, but for me, the moon also represents what we are trying to achieve, a happy, enjoyable usefull life. Bhuddism for me is the finger that points to it. I try not to get too bogged down with the details of Bhuddism. They are only a pointer. Life provides an abundance of pointers, many much more powerful than any organised system of practice. Herein lies the problem with cults. The system becomes more important than the thing it aspires to achieve. The good, happy useful life (whatever that may be).

Current Page: 72 of 197

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.