Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: puella ()
Date: August 18, 2012 01:19AM

~*~ k a t e ~*~ can you disclose whether you are from US or from UK? I am trying to understand whether exclusion of buddhists from Diamond Way centers are a local UK / Ireland phenomenon or whether it happens globally.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ~*~ k a t e ~*~ ()
Date: August 18, 2012 01:44AM

I am in the UK, but I am aware of former members being excluded from centres in lots of European countries. I don't think I've ever heard such a story from the North or South American centres though. I can't remember who said it but I liked the way someone put it: 'disconnection'. This is what Scientology calls it, and Diamond Way uses exactly the same tactics towards former members.

* Harassment of the former member, both in person and by e-mail, post/mail and any other details they have or are able to find.
* Current members not being allowed to talk to the former member.
* Accusing former members of invented crimes.
* A smear campaign against former members. Accusations of former members being 'mentally ill' etc.
* The fault is always with the former member. Diamond Way (in common with most cults) will never admit it has done anything wrong. It is always the former members who are to blame.

Posted by: SteveLpool ()
Date: August 18, 2012 02:49AM

I choose not to 'name and shame' the people who run the Liverpool centre for several reasons. First, regardless of my personal feelings about them as a result of their treatment of me, I believe they are entitled to their anonymity. If they choose to enter into a debate and justify their actions on this forum then they can then reveal their identities themselves. Secondly, I do not believe they have commited any crimes. I have never been threatened or received any e-mails that would constitute harassment. I report my experiences on this forum so that others who are currently attending or wish to attend DWB meetings is aware of the difficulties they may face. Thirdly, I believe that they are convinced that their actions are in accordance with the wishes of Ole Nydahl. So it is Ole Nydahl I hold ultimately responsible. The leaders of the Liverpool centre may come to the same realisation as I have about DWB and Ole Nydahl therefore I do not think it is fair to make their identities public. They know what their treatment of me was and how they behaved and they can reflect on this if they choose.

I also do not agree with the pictures posted on this forum. I'm not aware that DWB have posted pictures of me with a warning attached so I think it is unfair to reveal their identities here. It serves no purpose. It is DWB, the organization, and Ole Nydahl as its head that we should be focusing on. I actually consider the people who have been duped by Nydahl as 'victims' also so think that publishing their pictures and naming people is grossly unfair.

People often turn to Buddhism in search of answers to life's problems. I am simply documenting my experiences so that people who are vulnerable do not become too involved with DWB without first checking and re-checking their feelings and attitudes. They can then hopefully avoid some of the much more negative experiences encountered by others on this forum.

If you are so keen to reveal the identity of others than have the common decency to post under your own true identity.

Best wishes.

Steve

Date: August 18, 2012 04:11AM

Well said above. Posting those pictures is pointless and counter-productive. Not only are they are all over the net anyway (especially Ole and Caty), but I fail to see what it achieves. I'm sure everyone posting here already knows what Ole Nydahl looks like! I also think that it will have the opposite effect to that intended. Those who have been 'named and shamed' will react by becoming more and more entrenched in their beliefs. They will also use that to support their accusations of former members being 'mentally ill'.

For those lower in the hierarchy, there is also the possibility of the fact that they might one day break free from this cult. It wouldn't be fair to have their name and/or picture publicly up on here, because it wouldn't be suddenly gone after they had left. They would then be forever associated with the Diamond Way cult. That wouldn't be fair or right.

I agree we should probably focus on Ole Nydahl. Without him, the whole house of cards falls down. It'll be fascinating to see the inevitable power struggle when he dies. That always seems to be the case after a cult of personality ends.

I would add however that I am aware after being told by another former member who left after me that a picture of me was circulated to some UK centres with a list of false accusations in an attempt to smear me after I left and then spoke out. I have also had harassment in person once and via e-mail and post several times. Our experiences are different it seems. I wonder if they determine who they think is a 'threat' in the way Scientology does? Who knows.

Either way, posting the pictures was a silly idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 04:12AM by ~*~ k a t e ~*~.

Date: August 18, 2012 03:50PM

An update regarding the 'Diamond Way Cult' blog. For a while now it has had certain posts censored due to legal threats from DW. Well, now they have managed to have the whole blog taken down.

[diamondwaycult.blogspot.co.uk]

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 20, 2012 12:05AM

He always says that he travels around a world twice a year. How does it pay the airplane tickets?Taxi? I ask all of you: Is this the real Buddishm?

No

Buddha left behind the retinue and entourage of princely life.

Date: August 20, 2012 04:30AM

I had difficulties with 'Lama' Ole. His militarism, blind anti-islamism, machismo and easy pro western propaganda sent me running away from the Diamond Way. Before I took this decision I attended different lectures and even a Phowa with him. I too never saw a hole in my head or anyone elses. I personally see Ole as a really charismatic person but definitely not someone to take as an example or a leader to follow. Diamond Way is a cult built around Ole Nydahl's personality.

Nydahl's behaviour is a disgrace. Even the Shamarpa criticised him on this webpage 'comment by the Shamarpa' on his official website, but apparently that article was removed after threats of Mr. Nydahl to libel the Shamarpa; if this is how someone deals with his own teacher...

Ole is an experienced and sophisticated sexual predator. He deflects from his own behaviour by drawing attention to dysfunctional sexual behaviour performed in other societies. Then he selects his victim. He will not select a woman who is likely to respond negatively. He needs good sex and he does not need bad press. So he will select willing, attractive victims who appear to have a reasonably robust psyche.

Diamond Way is the sexually abusive organisation that Ole has created to feed his ego. An organisation in which it is considered good for sexual relationships to flourish? This is in an environment where people go to seek Spiritual Enlightenment, but get sexually and financially abused.

Nydahl is obsessed with Islam, embraces material capitalism, and obviously enjoys having a constant female consort (he was attended by a shrink-wrapped, buxom woman half his age, who kept staring at him with stars in her eyes.) He has not undertaken the traditional requirements necessary of becoming a "Lama" in the Kagyu tradition... he is simply seen as a lama to his cult followers and hence called such.

Ole is a very charismatic charlatan. Impressive yet alarming.

Posted by: puella ()
Date: August 22, 2012 03:23PM

~*~ k a t e ~*~
I have just checked an old e-mail address I haven't used for a long time and found some hate mail from the Diamond Way cult in there. Here it is for all to see what they are REALLY like, and because I think it's hilarious and immature.

You are a freak.just because you got kicked out of DWB for your negative and funny behaviour, you post rubbish. Instead of blaming your own ego.

Your unfounded opinions on Lama Ole disgrace yourself. May I say that your inability to understand the mahamudra is not something you should lay at another's door.

Can you keep the originals of these e-mails ~*~ k a t e ~*~ please.

Posted by: SteveLpool ()
Date: August 22, 2012 07:08PM

I had an intereting discussion with someone over 'scapegoating'. The idea of focusing negative attention onto a member of a group which allows the perpetrator to deflect criticism from themselves and is said to be quite common in groups like the ones established by DWB.

I recall that development of the Liverpool centre was (in the opinion of the leaders) very slow. They were often critical of the level of involvement from the members of the group. Towards the end of my time there it is was made clear to me by one of the leaders that he thought I was the problem and that I was the obstacle to growth within the centre. Several members confided in me that they thought that the leader was the problem but, due to it being 'his' centre, they felt they couldn't make any negative comments (and they didn't think it was very Buddhist).

The outcome was that I was told to practice with another group/school.

And now, that the obstacle to the centre's development has been removed (expelling me) one might expect that the centre's numbers have swelled considerably and it's activity is flourishing. The last I heard the situation was pretty much the same. It's safe to say I wasn't the catalyst for growth while I was there but it also seems fair to assume that I wasn't the obstacle either. So, I was made the scapegoat and expelled.

The result of my treatment at the hands of Nydhal's 'footsoldiers' is my almost complete disillusionment of Buddhism as a system of self-development. Development, as taught by Nydahl, is to surrender as much of your free time as is demanded of you to the acquisition and development of DWB's property. If you are not giving your time (and in some cases your money) then you are having a detrimental effect upon your karma. It is often claimed that in order to accumulate wealth you must give most of it away. A usuful mantra to teach your students if you want to increase the wealth of your organisation.

So, if you find yourself being targeted as a scapegoat get out fast. Leave the group. Your voice will not be heard and you can save yourself further anxiety and distress because, you are most likely not the cause of the problem, rather the smokescreen by which the real problem is obscured.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2012 07:10PM by SteveLpool.

Date: August 23, 2012 09:07PM

puella

Can you keep the originals of these e-mails ~*~ k a t e ~*~ please.

I have not deleted them and don't need to as I have plenty of e-mail storage space on the server.

Why do you ask though?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.