Current Page: 24 of 30
Re: International Enlightenment Fellowship/Andrew Cohen
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 13, 2013 04:55AM

Dinner With Andrew - a new post on What Enlightenment? blog

This is just one tiny quotation. The entire post needs to be read in full.

[whatenlightenment.blogspot.com]

“Andrew, I've been reading your PR plan, and I have to tell you that chalking this up to 'Eros versus Agape' isn't going to cut it. Chalking it up to 'Founder's Syndrome' isn't going to cut it. Chalking it up to some 'Mythic Guru' nonsense isn't going to cut it. None of that is going to cut it—do you know why? Because this isn't philosophical, it's human. What you did to these people wasn't philosophical. You caused real harm, and some of the harm you caused was simply incredible. How are you going to justify that with some philosophical explanation? And Andrew, this is going to sound especially strange since you were once my teacher, but you can't allow yourself to go in that direction at all, because if you even get near it, the temptation to be philosophical about this is going to become so strong that you'll never be able to pry yourself away from it, and nothing will ever change. Do you know what I mean? I'm really sorry to be talking to you this way, but we both know that that's how it is.”

“Look,” said Cohen, “as I said, I know I've made mistakes, and because of the mistakes I made, something that is very beautiful is not as beautiful as it could have been, and I feel terrible about that, because if I hadn't made those mistakes, those people wouldn't have left. And that's why I'm trying to make amends with the people I hurt—so that the potential of this beautiful teaching can be realized.”

“Andrew,” I said, “how can you say that something is beautiful when it's bound up with so much incredible damage and destruction? It doesn't make any sense. Don't you think you might at least have to ask yourself a few questions about everything that's happened? Don't you think there might be some flaw in the whole thing that you might have overlooked?”

“I have no doubt that I brought something beautiful into the world,” said Cohen, “something that wasn't here before and that is significant for the evolution of humanity.... When did you leave?”

“When did I leave? What do you mean?”

“When did you leave us? What year?”

“1999.”

“So you weren't there for what happened on July 30th, 2001.”

“July what?”

“July 30th, 2001.” [I forget what he called it—please excuse my ignorance, but someone reading this is bound to know; apparently a monument was erected to commemorate the event referred to.] “You left too soon,” Cohen went on. “Everyone who was still there at that time saw the beauty and potential of this teaching become manifest in a way that left no room for doubt, and it's because of what happened on that day that I have no doubt that I brought something beautiful into this world, and that because of that, nothing will ever be the same. But without having the context of that experience, you can't possibly understand what I'm talking about.”

I was visibly touched by this, and Cohen seemed more than ready to attribute the moisture in my eyes to the incontestable logic of his cosmology. Actually, it was the condescension and desperate grandiosity of his declaration that amazed me. I was awed, stunned and humbled. How I could ever hope to be Cohen's “peer” when I lacked this vastly superior context?

Read the entire thing. It is a stunner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 19, 2013 07:30AM

This is just a small excerpt, believe it or not. Interested readers must read the entire article in full. This A list of abuses include the many which were reported on What Enlightenment blog--and in Bill Yenner's American Guru website collating these reports into a convenient, bulletin form.

Corboy has quoted only items from the article that were mentioned years before in earlier articles.

The full article lists other allegations--go there and read it.

Thursday, July 18, 2013
THE “A” LIST: A Catalog of Trauma and Abuse

This list is by no means exhaustive. Many other reprehensible acts, both subtle and gross, have been documented and, as former students are finding their power and their voices, more are emerging every day. This list is only a summary reference. It fairly represents the kind of abuses that frequently occurred in the EnlightenNext community, often justified under the rubric of acts of “crazy wisdom” designed to destroy “ego.” It is hoped that this list will aide former students in coming to terms with their history and trauma, and that it will serve as a warning and wake-up call to those who are currently engaged with Andrew Cohen, EnlightenNext, “Evolutionary Enlightenment” or its teachers, spin-offs and associates (e.g. Craig Hamilton, Jeff Carreira, Carter Phipps, Elizabeth Debold, Mary Adams, Chris Parish, Ken Wilber, the Integral community and others(Corboy italics)), and those who are considering engaging with them in the future.

It is also hoped that it may provide food for contemplation for Andrew Cohen himself and inspiration for his reform and remediation.

Violation of Sexual and Reproductive Rights and Privacy, and Interference with Family and Personal Relationships

Requiring a student to visit prostitutes repeatedly over a several week period and to provide detailed faxed reports on these visits to Cohen, despite the student strongly expressing his strong disgust and emotional trauma over having to do this and daily begging Cohen to . Witnesses saw Cohen reading and listening to the reports of the prostitute visits with great interest, enjoying and laughing at them.

Pressuring women to have tubal ligations (have their “tubes tied”) so that they could not conceive children, and to abort pregnancies. Actively discouraging the having of children by women and couples. Requiring some women to commit to having no children as a condition of being a student of Cohen. As a result, many women refrained from having children, in some cases past the age to become pregnant, to their later regret. Encouraging men to have vasectomies.

Requiring some parents to live separately from their young children, sometimes in other countries and for long periods of time; actively discouraging parents from giving their children ordinary love, time, attention and priority in their lives or spending holidays and free time with them; sometimes advising parents to slap their young children.

Directly ordering the break up of numerous couples and families.
Exercising direct and complete control over students’ decisions regarding sexuality and relationships, including whether the student would be celibate or in a relationship, with whom the student could have a relationship, if and when students should end a relationship or marriage, and whether married couples or students currently in a relationship could have sex with their partner.

if !supportListsDenying and Discouraging Students’ Freedom to Leave the Community

Holding and withholding students’ passports, credit cards and car keys so that they could not leave community premises.
Posting guards outside a students’ bedroom so that he could not leave, forcing him to secretly exit through a window at night and flee.

Having a student who was trained in the Dutch equivalent of the military special or commando forces threaten another student with serious physical injury should he ever leave Andrew Cohen, telling the student that if he ever left Cohen, “no matter where you are on the planet, I will find you and break every bone in your body.”

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 02, 2013 08:12PM

See [www.cultnews.com]

The Rick A. Ross Institute for the Study of Destructive Cults, Controversial Groups, and Movements has officially changed its name to The Cult Education Institute for the Study of Destructive Cults, Controversial Groups and Movements.

The new domain name entry point and gateway to the Internet archives of the institute will soon be culteducation.com.

The Cult Education Institute archives is a library of information about destructive cults, controversial groups and movements, which was initially launched in 1996 and has continued to be under construction and expansion for the past 17 years.

The public message board attached to the The Cult Education Institute will soon only be accessible through the domain name culteducation.com. More than 100,000 entries from the former members of destructive cults, controversial groups and movements and others concerned has accumulated at the board over the past decade. The message board content continues to grow daily and it serves as a free speech zone for those who wish to share their insights and concerns about the topics listed.

Date: September 28, 2013 08:14AM

Pictures of Andrew Cohen's Foxhollow HQ, now vacated.

Obtained by emotional pressure on a disciple to hand over 2 million from her trust fund.

fund

Search Results

Dec 6, 2006 - [Editor's Introduction: The author of this piece, Jane O'Neil, is a former close ... Andrew had actually solicited the two million dollars from her, which ... Complicating matters, the money was not immediately available from a family trust. .... It is akin to a therapist seeking sexual company from a client or a priest ...

Dec 21, 2006 - [Editors' Note: This is Jane O'Neil's second feature article on the What ... Andrew's solicitation of the largest of my donations (the $2 million for Foxhollow). ... At the time, the choice seemed clear, however misguided, and I left my therapist ... of the imminent potential of a large family trust being dissolved and ...

Now Foxhollow, obtained with this money is vacant. Oh bare ruined choirs where late the sweet birds sang.

Where's the money now?

[americanguru.net]

[picasaweb.google.com]#

And friends, make no mistake, witnesses and recipients of Cohen's viciousness are now out there as evolutionaries. (Their terms.)

And Kenny Wilber is out there, too. Associated with other abusive teachers in addition to Cohen.

Integral Abuse, Andrew Cohen and the Culture of Evolutionary Abuse.

www.integralworld.net/scofield1.htmlý

“I personally think Andrew Cohen is in deep need of long term therapy. ... homes to Jim Jones and the “church” it was the final step in the loss of their identities. ..... both students of the controversial spiritual teacher Adi Da also known as Adi Da, .... and supporters Ken Wilber, Craig Hamilton, Terry Patten, Marc Gafni, Genpo ...

Nizkor.

Date: October 06, 2013 10:18PM

Quoted on another discussion thread. But applicable here.

“Unquestioning obedience is hailed as a great virtue only by those leaders whose commands* are highly questionable.”

George Hammond

*Or leaders who bellow thier assertions as onotological reality.

Karl Popper wrote a lot of helpful things. His essays and lectures are very good place to start if one is unfamiliar with him. He wrote an autobiography entitled "Unended Quest".

Here is an item from one of Popper's essays, "What the West Believes In" from "In Search of a Better World."

"I am a rationalist..the last laggard of the Enlightenment. I have in mind the hope that inspired Pestalozzi, that knowledge may make us free...that we may rouse ourselves from our dogmatic slumber, as Kant called it.

"And I have in mind a serious obligation, one which most intellectuals have tended to forget...I am alluding to the obligation never to post as a prophet. (Poppers italics)...Here, as elsewhere, the constant demand demadn produces unfortunately, the supply. Prophets and leaders were sought; Prophets and leaders were found. (Popper was describing early 19th century Germany and the process which culminated in the rise of state fascism.)

"Is there a distinguishing characteristic of these two attitudes--that of a follower of the enlightement, and that of hte self appointed prophet?

Yes: it is their different way of speaking, of using the language.

*(Corboy: Note how one of Lifton's criterial for a cult is distortion of language--'loading the language')

(Popper continues)

"

Prophecy speaks deeply, darkly, grandly;while a follower of the Enlightenment speaks as simply as possible. Bertrand Russell is our great master. Even when one cannot agree with him, one must always admire him. He always speaks clearly, simply, and forcefully.

"Why does the Enlightenment value simplicity of language so highly? Because it wants to enlighten, not to sway. The genuine disciple of the Enlightenment, the true rationlist, dos not even want to persuade, nor even to convince. He remains always aware that he may err. Thus he esteems too highly the independance of the other person to try to sway him in important matters; rather he wants objections and criticisms. He wants to arouse and stimulate the cut and thrust of argument. This is what is valuable to him. Not only because we may approach truth better with the free exchange of opinion, but also because he values this process as such."

What Does The West Believe In? (Popper, In Search of a Better World. pp 206-207)

In his autobiography, Unended Quest, Popper described his friendships in Vienna in the 1920s and 1930s. He was not alone with books. He struggled alone at his desk, then went out and discussed and tested his ideas in society with persons as well read and intelligent as he.

Too shy to publish his early work, Popper was encouraged to do so by older mentors.

In Unended Quest, Popper described the process by which he joined the Communist Party during his student days, then questioned its tenets and renounced membership. He states how he regretted that in such an important manner, he acted on impulse and failed to examine the theories more closely before signing on as a member.

Popper renounced Party affiliation because he was convinced that no human being is expendable in the name of some greater cause. And no one has any right to decide whether human beings are expendable.

Anyone seeking full recovery from Ken Wilberism is invited to spend a bit of time with Popper. First, his doctrine of testability/falsifiability is now understood to be a core component of modern scientific method.

The more precise a conjecture/model the more severely it can be tested. And one holds to scientific findings until another conjectural model can be tested and demonstrated as having greater explanatory power than earlier models, which then can be discarded. The model that supersedes that model must also be precise enough to be testable and - potentially--falsifiable -- so it too can be replaced if another model can be tested and proved superior.

Professor Steve Dutch of the Geology Department at the University of Michigan states that he will not debate anyone unless that other person can state what would be required to to prove his or her opinion wrong.

In his biography Uneded Quest, Popper describes how he was certain that he deserved to fail his Ph.D examination and was surprised to be told he had successfully defended his dissertation.

All his life, Popper associated with his peers and mentors. He wrote with a special tenderness because this social scene ended when Hitler invaded Austria.

I am halfway through Unended Quest and not once has Popper used the term "scathing". No mention is made of the biography being translated from German, so it seems reasonable to believe that the choice of words--and omission of the world 'scathing' is Popper's own choice. He uses the term 'brilliant' -- but sparingly.

Date: November 26, 2013 11:07PM

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

In an article, Spiritual Teacher as Role Model, Brad warner mentions this:

"I count myself lucky in that when I started having such experiences I was just a guy working at a desk in a company in Tokyo. There was nobody around to be impressed by what was happening to me. My coworkers just thought I was being weird.

"My bosses told me to stop goofing off and get back to work.

"If, as often happens in cases like this, I had been surrounded by a band of fellow spiritual seekers who both admired and were jealously envious of my experiences things could have gone very differently.

"I think that when that happens often a poisonous feedback loop gets created in which the newly “enlightened” person’s own delusions about her/his enlightenment and what it means get endlessly amplified until they spiral totally out of control.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that such a person’s so-called “enlightenment experience” was false or that the insights they’ve had are worthless and phony. But the ego can latch on to absolutely anything — including the understanding of its own ultimate unreality — as a way to enhance itself.

So the teaching isn’t false, nor is the person not truly “enlightened” — at least if enlightenment is defined as a simple experience of deep insight. But it means other things have gone wrong and perhaps that we should come up with a new definition of “enlightenment.”

As to the question of whether a teacher ought to be a good role model, I suppose my answer is a qualified yes. A spiritual teacher should at the very least live up to whatever they demand their students to be"

When someone is owned by a Guru: Cohen in the late 1980s
Date: December 11, 2013 12:40AM

Quoted from below:
'One of the definitions I once read of codependence is when you are in love with the other person's POTENTIAL.' - Disculta

"When I first moved to California, I had someone cleaning my house who really seemed like a premie. (Follower of Guru Maharaji)

"She had that humble, selfless, low self-esteem energy about her. I asked her who her guru was (which quite took her aback) and it was him (Andrew Cohen)"

""
This is from a discussion venue for persons formerly in the Elan Vital movement.(aka Guru Maharj-ji) These discussions are from 2001

[www.ex-premie.org]

Date: Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 22:24:06 (GMT)
Email: None
To: Disculta
Subject: re that idiot Andrew Cohen

(Kelly asked)

Hi Disculta'
I have a friend who is seriously into Andrew Cohen, a friend I respect very much. Since my own awakening from the cult trance, I have been thinking about him a lot. I've read a couple of Cohen's books and am both impressed and concerned. Can you give me your take on this? I don't want to take too much of your time, but what's with the idiot?
love Kelly

(Disculta replied)

Date: Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 22:43:21 (GMT)
Email: None
To: Kelly
Subject: Don't go near him!

"He used to operate around here - used to hold his satsang in my old yoga school in fact, and I know several ex-followers. He is a big sleaze. My ex-husband used to work in a fancy men's clothing store. All his devotees used to come in to buy him presents. Then he would come in with some guys he hung out with (and my ex-hub said they definitely seemed to be gay, but this could be his imagination) and they would exchange these sacred gifts for cold, hard cash.

"His mother wrote a book about him - I believe it's called Mother of God, or God's Mother, or some such thing. Apparently it's a pretty funny expose.

"The thing is, he's clever. He manages to seem intellectual and spiritual and get people like Ken Wilber to respect him.

"When I first moved to California, I had someone cleaning my house who really seemed like a premie. She had that humble, selfless, low self-esteem energy about her. I asked her who her guru was (which quite took her aback) and it was him.

"He considers himself perfect and better than his own guru (Poonjaji) whom he says he is morally superior to. I heard a tape of him having a kind of Advaitan cosmic duel with Ganga Ji, another Poonjaji follower greatly revered in this neck of the woods. They were each trying to prove each other wrong in the most hysterical way. He had a kind of whiny vibe and I was repulsed by him. And, as you know, I'm really into lots of spiritual stuff. I'm not just doing the 'it's spiritual and it's a teacher so it sucks' thing here.

"I have a friend who is an ex-follower who you can call if you're seriously feeling tempted. He will cure you, and he'll do it very funnily. Kelly, e-mail me if you want to talk more about it or call him.

Love Disculta

Date: Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 01:43:38 (GMT)
To: Disculta
Subject: low spark of high heeled boys

"Oh, god, is it that obvious?

(Quotes earlier comment)When I first moved to California, I had someone cleaning my house who really seemed like a premie. She had that humble, selfless, low self-esteem energy about her. I asked her who her guru was (which quite took her aback) and it was him.

"Are we marked for life? For me, yes! All those years putting Maharaji on the pedestal and myself in the gutter."

Comments from Amazon.com
Date: January 07, 2014 05:16AM

Reviews of William Yenner's American Guru

[www.amazon.com]

27 of 40 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Sullied from the start, October 30, 2009
By Douglas I. Wallace - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME) This review is from: American Guru: A Story of Love, Betrayal and Healing-former students of Andrew Cohen speak out (Paperback)
As someone who spent little more than a year in Andrew Cohen's community (1988-89), I have mostly kept myself apart from the online rumble. However, reading Bill Yenner's "American Guru" was a fine refresher in the reasons I left relatively quickly.

I will only briefly echo the praise this book has rightfully received. It's honest, humble, and complete without dragging the reader through every horrifying abuse that Cohen has perpetrated (and which is available on the What Enlightenment blog expose for those with the stomach for it.)

If I am equally honest with myself, I have to admit that I saw the cult dynamics at work from the very beginning. I saw otherwise mature people acting slavish and infantilized to meet Cohen's tacit expectation of devotion. A fellow student shared with me her letter to Andrew in which she so thoroughly demonized herself for (fill in the blank: arrogance, ego, selfishness) that it took all the denial I could muster not to see it as the introjection of Cohen's own shadow. When, after a few months, I was offered the plum assignment of editing the transcripts of Andrew's talks, it was just as quickly taken away when I did not drop everything, run to his house with an armful of flowers, and throw myself at his feet in gratitude (all part of the unwritten rulebook).

The final straw for me was attending a series of brutal, 70s-style men's group encounters where the designated scapegoat would be psychically flayed by the community members he had entrusted his spiritual well-being to. When I dared to raise a question about whether this was an effective way of working with the wayward student (leaving aside such wimpy notions as compassion), I drew the collective ire of the group upon myself. I was berated for days, until my own good sense caught up with me and gave me permission to leave.

The point? Whatever stupendous and transcendent experiences I had (and we all had them), the corruption was there from the start. Cohen's own demons were not vanquished upon meeting Poonja-ji. To the lasting sorrow of all who have thrown away their autonomy for him, those demons were given free rein and given the name "Master".

two readers replied to Wallace' review

[www.amazon.com]

(name omitted for privacy)says:

A clear rebuttal to all Mr. Yenner's critics ~ you clearly were subject to some of the same hamhanded "ego busting" techiniques that Yenner recounts in this book. Opponents to your views appear to have only personal attacks on the messengers to offer as their uniform and sole response. Pitiful. Let the light shine in and reveal what is hiding in the shadows. Only then can the full truth be revealed.
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse
2 of 3 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 1:42:11 PM PST
(name omitted for privacy) says:
You showed some good judgment there from the sound of it. It's hard to stay connected to good sense (or compassion) in an environment led by machismo-informed transformation. Glad you god out so quickly and learned quickly. I spent a year in Landmark Education that was not quite as bad, but taught me to recognize the same deficit of real understanding.

The question now is this
Date: January 07, 2014 05:18AM

What will happen when persons who trained under Andrew's heavy thumb now go forth and function as teachers?

Will they be able to avoid repeating Cohen's behavior pattern?

Can they honestly inform their own students of time they spent with Cohen so that students and prospective students can make an informed decision whether to join them, and be able able to identify early signs that the preceptor is re-enacting Cohen's dictatorial methods?

Poonja did no one any favors
Date: January 07, 2014 05:20AM

[www.amazon.com]

5 of 5 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars THANK GOD THAT THE `godfather' HAS A COURAGEOUS MOTHER., April 24, 2008
By K. Gleason (LOS ANGELES) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME) This review is from: The Mother of God (Paperback)
THANK GOD THAT THE `godfather' HAS A COURAGEOUS MOTHER.
I had the misfortune of being around Cohen only once. Someone had urged me to go hear him talk.i walked out it was so bad.it was the 1990s.somweone else yelled `this smacks of waco texas ` as they walked out.
On another occasion a friend heard him talk. She openly questioned/doubted his silly analogy and she says "he worked the crowd like a hypnotist reading body language, demonizing her and attempting to polarize the audience'"!!!!
There is so much info on the web as to what a con AC is...as well as a book about this `new age Godfather'. I THANK GOD THAT THE `godfather' HAS A COURAGEOUS MOTHER.!!!!!!
Alos it may have been painful for her to write the book but no doubt since it was even referred to in 'the Times' it will warn people about AC and his meglomania!!!!! Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

7 of 10 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Annals of the ratpack of satsang gurus, September 15, 2004
By John C. Landon "nemonemini" (New York City) - See all my reviewsAmazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Mother of God (Paperback)
This work is unique and left me almsot non-plussed. Anyone who has endured attack from the current ratpat of satsang gurus needs to study the ground carefully and this work is interesting in showing what we usually don't see, the tactics of guru manufacture. I won't comment on Cohen, but one might note that considerable procession of duds appearing in the West--can't Maharsi get his act together?
But their demands for spiritual authority are at no point an obligation on anyone, despite the immense weight of tradition here.
The guru phenomenon in this form is an out of date hangover from the Hindu middle ages and counterproductive at this point. A new approach is needed. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

81 of 86 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, July 29, 2003
By rain cloud (USA) - See all my reviewsAmazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Mother of God (Paperback)
The world of eastern spirituality in the USA is a small world and, if you're a member, you really owe it to yourself to read this book. Whether you buy it new, used, or even interlibrary loan it, I humbly urge you to do so.
First of all it is very, very well written. It is also painfully self-revealing, almost agonizingly so. I'd like to point out that although this book deals with an aspect of eastern civilization, we have a tradition in western civilization, too, a tradition of written history and biography, going back thousands of years (e.g. Plutarch), a tradition that says we tell the truth--no matter where that truth leads--the unvarnished, unexaggerated truth. And the fine lady who wrote this book about her son has, by doing so, placed herself squarely in that tradition. If I ever met her, I would offer her a bouquet of flowers. There is absolutely no self-aggrandizement to be found here anywhere. It is a really fine piece of work.

I read the book in less than two days, I found it so interesting. It recounts the story of how her son, well known guru andrew cohen, was "enlightened" through eastern "holy man" h.w.l. poonja. (I'd heard about this by word of mouth years ago).

However, what I hadn't heard was that upon her son's return to america, like so many westerners who play guru, he became a power-mad tyrant, bully, and monster.

(The book this most reminded me of was "Mildred Pierce" by James M. Cain, another story about a woman whose child grew up to be a selfish monster).

As someone else pointed out, no one in this story looks good. To give you a taste of the goofiness at large here--poonja claimed that several other westerners were enlightened through him, INCLUDING THE WOMAN WHO WROTE THIS BOOK. Yes! He told her she, too, was enlightened and proceeded to try to convince her of it. Having some grain of sanity lodged firmly in her psyche (like the pearl inside the oyster), she rejected this madness but did, however, become her son's "disciple." That is, until his gargantuan ego, disgusting self-centeredness and cruelty finally forced her return to reality. (Actually, and ironically, it was her meeting with U.G. Krishnamurti who triggered a mass defection from the power-mad cohen of which she was a part). This is really a trip down the rabbit hole. Residing in andrew-cohen world is like having tea with the mad hatter. Don't miss it!

Surely, Cohen is the only guru at large with the questionable honor of having had his own mother write an expose' of him!

p.s. We have something important to learn from eastern spirituality, we just haven't figured out how to do it yet. Don't give up, we'll get there somehow.

Current Page: 24 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.