Subject: T M Jolly & GAC
Posted by: enojones ()
Date: November 05, 2006 10:33PM

Hello,

Mr. Ross, I came across your site on the internet after I decided to look into some things from my recent past (and probably after the "stunning news" from Colorado this past few days).

In 1994 I was living in Indiana and met two guys who were hosting a recovery group for persons recovering from abusive spiritual
situations; they were former members of T M Jolly's church in Indianapolis.

They related how closely linked T M Jolly and Rev. Jim Jones churches had
been--practically next door to each other. I was drawn to their beginning group because I had recently read some literature from Randall Watters on cults, specific to Watchtower Society and Jehovah's Witnesses.

The experiences these two related made my own seem "mild".

All these groups suffer the same plight--controlling leadership that is
secretive and inward focused.

The name T M Jolly had some familiartiy but it wasn't until I
read someone's posting on Internet about the church in Birmingham that things clicked. I think as a child, I recall reading/hearing something about Jolly's church connections in Alabama.

I suppose in some respects I view these modern "mega-churches" as the same game but different players. Not all pastors have the charm of TM Jolly or Jim Jones, but the impact can be the same.

At present, I am observing a coworker who attends a mega-church and some of their behavior and statements remind me very much of the influenced sect-followers, locked-in on a belief system that is fostered by ONE evangelical leader and peppered with bits of verses.

Whether it is evangelical or not, the effect in megachurch can
be the same--a slight variation of the Gospel which followers obsess over and often with a underlying current of focus on the pastor/personality versus the substance of the message.

Options: ReplyQuote
Subject: T M Jolly & GAC
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: November 05, 2006 10:48PM

Here are some locations/archives for information about Jolly and churches that historically are closely related to his.

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.gospelassemblyfree.com]

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.