Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: September 25, 2006 08:39PM

Check your messages

Options: ReplyQuote
Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: notalone ()
Date: September 26, 2006 06:50AM

I appreciate your kind words. It really does sound like you know how a parent would feel in this situation. I probably will continue to read the posts, but will be wary of posting for awhile.

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: Amyswerld ()
Date: September 26, 2006 10:22AM

I'm very glad you shared here! I've been confused by some of the criticism of Dr. Phil on another forum and afraid to speak because I didn't know what to say. I shared your words because I thought they were so powerful. Thanks so much for speaking!!!

Amy

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Date: September 27, 2006 01:07AM

Thank you Amy. I didn't understand either why the criticism towards Dr.Phil. He has had Steve Hassan on his show before, when doing the Polygamist group show, and others. He never pretends to be an expert about cults...he just tries to help, by getting the word out, and to help the families in these situations.

Just because he has a well known popular show shouldn't make some people so critical of his motives. He is popular because he is doing it for the right reasons. Yes, people will watch, if they didn't....why would so much energy be put towards these shows? The focus on certain subjects may touch families who didn't know what to do, or that a certain problem was affecting others as well.

Anyone who is affected by a cult, only wants others to NOT have to experience it. How that happens will vary. The show is only one avenue of getting public awareness.

again, thanks!

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Date: September 27, 2006 04:34AM

Notalone, I was not offended by anything you have written. Why would I be offended? My complaints about how he is handling this topic aren't that difficult to understand. His show is for entertainment, he has not provided enough followup and resources, and people are now writing to him via his forum, begging for help and being ignored. One woman stated she wrote to him three times, but "guesses he's a busy man." Others are perpetuating the myths about cults, on his forum, without being corrected by a moderator. Still others are giving the worst advice anyone could give someone recovering or suffering having a loved one on the inside and that is to just read your Bible and pray.

People on this board have written about Dr. Phil's LGAT roots and tactics in the past, which are another reason I am suspicious of his motives and critical of his lack of strong resources and follow up.

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Date: September 27, 2006 06:01AM

I guess I could talk all day about Dr.Phil helping, and you could talk all day about that he doesn't. That doesn't solve anything. As you said to me personally...I don't get the point. I get your point very clear....and we have a difference of opinion based on your point.

The messageboards on his site let people give whatever views they want, and people answer them back as they wish. If a producer wants to contact a person who gives a story on the messageboard, then he/she will. That is not the proper way to write to the show for help....it clearly says on the site how they should go about contacting the show for help. If their story merits followup and further study, they will do that. Other than that, the messageboard is for people to voice their opinons. I am sure a moderator reads and will respond to anyone they feel needs immediate help. You don't know what goes on behind the scenes at the Dr.Phil show. Having been there, I do know enough to say...they are working very hard behind the scenes. Many hours are devoted to getting people the right help. Just because some don't see that, or don't know that, it doesn't make it not true.

This is SOOOO not worth my energy to discuss it over and over. I really don't care if Dr.Phil has been discussed on here about his tactics, etc. Until you work with him, meet him, have him help you in ways that you only could imagine....then you don't really know what he can do for you. Did you ever ask him for help?

Issue done....finally.

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Date: September 27, 2006 07:50AM

Hope, would you please NOT pm me anymore. I said "issue...done". If you can't say what you have to say to me out here in public forum, I don't want to hear it. You can criticize Dr.Phil all you want to, but do it so everyone else can see it too. I made my point, you made your point.....it's done.

Maybe you will have something else to criticize about Dr. Phil after my second show...think so? At least he is helping me, and I am very grateful, because for ten years of everything under the sun that I tried.... nothing else, or nobody else could help me....with such a little known cult. I think I have earned the right to applaud Dr. Phil.

While we are here on the subject of cults...what police did you talk to that told you Dr.Phil did nothing to help with the Warren Jeffs cult? He did three shows on it, he had the attorney general front and center.....geez! Do your homework before you criticize when others are helped by someone you clearly do not like, or are no longer a fan of because you won't ask him for help again, because he is an entertainer.

DONE.....DONE.

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Date: September 27, 2006 08:23AM

Just be careful with dealing with him, is all I'm saying.

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: thunderbyrd ()
Date: September 27, 2006 12:54PM

the fact is, whenever "Doctor" Phil is mentioned, alot of people just flat don't like the guy. like myself, for instance.

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: September 27, 2006 11:56PM

notalone
I have tons and tons of research from 10 years of trying to help my daughter.

And yet you never found Rick Ross's site until now? :?: When I started researching cults, this site was one of the first I found.

Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.