Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: September 22, 2006 04:10AM

[Dr. Phil's topic today is cult intervention and after a few minutes, it is apparent he does not know what he is doing. He asked a former-cult member in the audience why she joined a cult, and was trying to reassure an ex-cult member that God is a loving God, in reply to fears about burning in hell for leaving.

I went to his message board and posted about real cult experts. I wonder how long that post will remain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Date: September 24, 2006 09:40PM

It's truly sad to see a popular guy like Dr. Phil engaged in cult intervention when he knows little about it. His forum is filled with posts from people begging for help and\or inaccurate interpretations of what a cult is and what former cult members should do to recover (read their Bibles, believe in God). Dr. Phil might be opening eyes to the prevalence of cults in America, but he is doing nothing to help people involved. The program and forum feed the myth that needy, weak people "join" cults. What's worse are the posts that state that religions other than Christianity are cults!

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: Toni ()
Date: September 25, 2006 01:27AM

Hope
Dr. Phil might be opening eyes to the prevalence of cults in America, but he is doing nothing to help people involved. The program and forum feed the myth that needy, weak people "join" cults.

Sounds like he's causing more harm than good!
Dr. Phil is about sensationalizing issues anyway, for his own acclaim.

Hope, Great that you post there as a voice of reason. Did you link to this message board?

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Date: September 25, 2006 02:40AM

Yes - I provided links to Rick's home page and this forum. I also provided a list of books and other resources, but, unfortunately, Dr. Phil's forum doesn't retain formatting and the list came out all jumbled together. His forum is poorly set up overall (no threads) so it is difficult to navigate.

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: notalone ()
Date: September 25, 2006 05:25AM

Why are you so critical of what Dr.Phil is doing to help? At least he is willing to take this issue on. Eyes need to be opened to this cult, and in turn to others that continue to take our children/young adults. This can all be a learning experience for the public. Most people don't have a clue as to what it's like for a family to lose a loved one to a cult, or what the former members go through when they get out. The more this is exposed on national tv the better we all will be in getting the word out. I don't know why this has to become a competition issue between different people who are concerned and want to do something about it. I have visited this site of Rick's for YEARS, I keep informed with some of the resources here, but there are many other resources out there as well.

I applaud Dr.Phil for having this cult highlighted on his show, along with the update on the polygamist cult. He has done other shows as well, or other groups. Anyone who brings this to the forefront is A-OKAY in my book! Listing resources on his website was good, as you can see, it was left there as a help for anyone who needs it. Steve Hassan has a wealth of information as well.

I just think you should not be so critical of someone who is willing to devote a internationally shown TV show to these issues. Maybe you didn't realize that Dr.Phil show was instrumental in putting the Warren Jeffs case out there in the public much more than it ever had been. And, he was captured the very day that show was taped. So, look at the power TV has to get the word out.

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Date: September 25, 2006 05:47AM

If you read my post, you would see that I gave him credit for opening up people's eyes to cults in America. However, he is not an expert on the issues surrounding cult involvement and there is a lot of really bad advice and misconceptions on his website about cults. Therein lies the danger of cults and people not getting enough information to stay away from them. Steve Hassan's website was one that I listed. Dr. Phil has not provided any references for people involved with cults as far as I can tell.

Warren Jeffs was picked up during a traffic stop two weeks ago.

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Date: September 25, 2006 07:00AM

Notice, I said, the "day the show taped" which was August 29th, I didn't say the day the show aired. Warren Jeffs was captured early morning of the 29th.

Yes, I know that Steve's website was referenced, I said that there were "references" listed and that was good.

I was on the Dr.Phil show that day. I have tons and tons of research from 10 years of trying to help my daughter. If you only knew the anguish I have felt for ten years and confronting the cult leader you saw in videos on the show....there were many things there wasn't time to show on air. There are many things that Dr.Phil does that no one knows, unless they have worked with him. I am grateful to him for trying when no one else was able to, or wanted to. A little known cult gets very little exposure in the media....now this one will be nationally known.

I have read every book there is about cults. I have attended national cult/family conventions. I have gone to every website and link there is....ten years is a lot of time to work on this.

You know, I didn't have to write that first post, and I didn't have to respond back to yours, but in my heart of hearts I know that the show will help people. I am sorry if I offended you, but I am still very raw from coming home without seeing my daughter AGAIN. As I said on the show, I will NEVER give up.

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Date: September 25, 2006 07:55AM

I am not going to post here anymore. I should have just read and not put my two cents worth in anyway. It was only a mother trying to help her daughter escape a dangerous cult.

When I said, references were put on Dr.Phil's site, I was referring to you saying you had put references on there, not his references, sorry I didn't make that clear. I read those references you put there and they were excellent.

I READ your post, I saw you said about Dr. Phil was opening eyes or something to that point, I was reinterating that too.

I NEVER EVER said Dr.Phil was a cult expert, did I?????? No, I said I applaud him for taking this issue to the public. Anyone can go research with their own computer....for years that's what I had to do on my own. Like I said I have tons of research and books. I talked to Rick Ross when my daughter first joined this cult.

Dr.Phil was doing us a justice, not a disservice, and not harming more than helping as it was said by one poster, Toni, I believe it was.

If I offended you I am sorry, I won't offend you anymore. As Dr.Phil said, he isn't giving up on my daughter, neither will I. You can watch the next show and see how it develops. Hopefully you will change your mind about what power these shows truly have to get the word out that cults destroy families.

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Date: September 25, 2006 07:04PM

I said I wouldn't write again, but my other two last posts should have appeared,and didn't. I apologized for possibly having offended anyone. But I was just expressing my opinion anyway, as did Hope and Toni. This is a place to express opinions of all, isn't it?

I only wrote to right what was interpreted from my post.

I wrote two posts yesterday evening that have not appeared. There was nothing in them that was derrogatory, any more than what others said.

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: September 25, 2006 08:00PM

notalone:

There is nothing wrong with your posts and you are welcome to post here.

It typically takes time to have posts clear as approved when you start out.

However, you are now "auto approved" so that your posts will appear instantly.

The "Dr. Phil Show" did raise public awareness about cults by doing a program about Agressive Christianity Missionary Training Corp. ACMTC.

See [www.culteducation.com]

It is very frustrating for parents to have an adult child living in a cult compound like ACMTC

It is a small, but very extreme group that the public knows very little about. Dr. Phil did a public service by showing that frustration firsthand, which very few people understand.

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.