Current Page: 49 of 110
The Trinity Foundation of Dallas, Texas
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: December 02, 2006 02:26AM

counselor47
NathanA
I have a question Doug. This is partly the heart of the issue. You have described the hot seats as spiritual rape. What was the nature of the damage done? You say that some former members do not believe in God after leaving TFI. That holds little weight though, as everyone should have a faith that is their own and not contingent on someone elses actions.
Did they become incapable of making basic decisions? Did they turn into shells who would not trust anyone? Was the potential for the 'victims' to become abusers planted?

It seems we all blitzed Marion after her inquiry. Hopefully she isn't afraid to post now. :lol:

People at times became incapable of making basic decisions. People's anxiety level increased. People suffered symptoms that indicate they possibly have PTSD--go back and reread Boanerges' post. Many former members had to seek psychotherapy upon leaving TFI, and some spent thousands of dollars on that process.

Nathan, there has been some debate among the members and the people posting on this board whether you are just trolling or if you are sincere in your questions. For my part, I want to believe you, so I will try to explain to you why you come across as so irritating to people. I hope that in doing so it will help you dialogue with others in a more constructive manner.

The problem comes from you making judgmental statements into your posts, like telling Boanerges you are skeptical about his experience. For the sake of argument, let's stipulate that Boanerges is telling the truth. If so, can you imagine the amount of vulnerability it took for him to write about that experience? Can you empathize what it would be like for him to then be told by someone who is acting as an apologist for his victimizer, "I am skeptical that this happened to you."?

I do not expect you to just accept everything we say, here. Chernuff1 says that my problem with you is that you are not agreeing with us, not seeing things our way. That is not true. You are free to disagree, but you come across as being very insensitive, completely oblivious to the fact that this material has profound emotional content to those of us who have lived through it.

Now, you have done it again. When you say, "That holds little weight though, as everyone should have a faith that is their own and not contingent on someone elses actions," you are again being emotionally insensitive to the experience of people who have had significant trauma. These are not just dry, intellectual questions to us, here. Can you imagine the level of trauma a believer would have to go through to make them want to pull away from God? Maybe they should not do that, but are you 100% certain the same thing could not happen to you? Are you 100% certain you have the right to judge people who have been through experiences you can only imagine?

I hope this is helpful. I, for one, would like to see you continue to be involved in this discussion, but I think it would be appropriate if your posts reflected the attitude that you claim for yourself, which is that of honest questioner.

It's useless with this guy, Doug. That's what I think. No sense wasting your time and stretching your patience by responding to him. Whatever his problem is, I say it's time to cut him off. For my part, I am just going to ignore him from now on, pretty much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NathanA ()
Date: December 02, 2006 12:20PM

I think I did assume that Boannerges was telling the truth. As I mentioned at the end of my post, I have been attacked and choked before, and I realize it can be traumatic. (although, the abuse I have personally suffered is definitely nil, in the face of what some have been through) If someone was defending my 'victimizer' and said they were skeptical, I hope it wouldn't be something I'd hold on to for very long. In serious abuse cases, the victims have to deal with skepticism, because the allegations are potentially very damaging to the accused. It is part of the territory.

As for the losing faith in God part? All I am saying is that a genuine faith has to be your own, and not something attached to the actions of someone else. I agree that it is shaking when someone you trust spiritually ends up being proven as a fake. I have a friend whose Dad wrote a book about being a "new creation in Christ." Turns out that he was molesting his stepchildren. That is very upsetting to someone's faith, if they have recieved the testimony of that spiritual mentor. Speaking from a Christian worldview however, the knowledge of God is seperate from our own construction. If one has that knowledge which I believe comes by revelation, the actions of other people should not ultimately affect it. This is at least, is my perspective.

Posted by: counselor47 ()
Date: December 04, 2006 10:59PM

NathanA
All I am saying is that a genuine faith has to be your own, and not something attached to the actions of someone else.

Well, of course.

I agree that it is shaking when someone you trust spiritually ends up being proven as a fake.

And that is our point. Earlier cherenuff1 said something about us being upset about Ole having a little money. That is a good example of a straw man argument. I had already said on this board I do not begrudge Ole any of the money he got in his settlement--knowing the terrible pain he has endured as a result of his accident, I actually wish he could have gotten even more money. That is not the point. It is the fact that he lied about it and has been so hypocritical--especially in the area of money--that I have a problem with. Reminds me a bit of Ananais and Sapphira in the book of Acts.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: December 05, 2006 12:33AM

Just a quick note--

The story analogy regarding Trinity and Ole Anthony has been moved to its own thread.

Just seemed reasonable to avoid any confusion.

Date: December 05, 2006 01:56AM

Makes perfect sense to me. :)

Date: December 05, 2006 02:33AM

That [i:73a554762a]was[/i:73a554762a] a good one, counselor47.[/i]

Date: December 08, 2006 04:16AM

Hey, where'd everybody go?

Posted by: seeking ()
Date: December 08, 2006 09:15AM

I guess NathanA and Cherenuff have nothing left to say. What is there to say? You and Counselor have certainly made a good case.

Date: December 08, 2006 01:20PM

You're right...what else to say?

Date: December 08, 2006 11:07PM

zeuszor
You're right...what else to say?

I am ready to let this thread fizzle out, unless Trinity comes up with another official spokesperson. I guess cherenuff1 is tired of the job, and she certainly has other things to do. Nathan is someone who I would be happy to correspond with via email, but since he really does not know Trinity his defense of them on this thread rings hollow. He is certainly welcome to present himself as an honest questioner, but he just is not qualified to be Trinity's spokesperson since he has no personal knowledge of what happens there.

Therefore, unless someone actually from Trinity wants to come on the thread and discuss our serious allegations, I think it is time to let it go. I believe we have said what needs to be said.

Current Page: 49 of 110

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.