Current Page: 86 of 110
The Trinity Foundation of Dallas, Texas
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: May 12, 2007 12:04PM

zeuszor
Hmmm...the few people in the media who I have contacted over this seem to have no interest in looking more deeply. I have mentioned the idea of my going over there with counselor47 in the past, and have toyed with it ever since. Any other ideas?

Also, there was a piece on ABC News' [i:1036c8bea1]20/20[/i:1036c8bea1] last night about an outfit called Ministry Watch whose mission seems to be pretty much the same as TFI's ostensible mission: helping to ensure financial accountability from, and investigating fraud done by, high-profile "televangelist" ministries. The piece NEVER ONCE mentioned TFI or the name of Ole Anthony. Nice to see an organization other than TFI get some publicity for doing almost the very same work (minus the mag), but without the "ends-justify-the-means" investigative style, mean spiritedness, and authoritarian bent. In the interviews with Ministry Watch's leader (I forget his name) I though he came off as very sincere and down-to-earth. Did anybody else see this piece?

Again, tonight, (and, I remind you, for the second time in a many months) there was another piece, a one-hour special on ABC's [i:1036c8bea1]20/20[/i:1036c8bea1] program called [i:1036c8bea1]The Power of Faith.[/i:1036c8bea1] It wasa program about faith in America: prayer, religious orders, exorcism, and of course faith healers and their type, prosperity-gospel preachers. It featured a bit with James Randi concerning Peter Popoff and his recent return. Again, nary a word about TFI or OA, though some of that video must have come from them. Nothing about Ministry Watch this time either though.
It struck me that this is especially ironic considering[i:1036c8bea1] this was broadcast on ABC,[/i:1036c8bea1] the very network that tooted TFI's horn the loudest to begin with. Good to see that their credibility has been undermined, that they are getting no play in the media of late. There was a recent investigative piece on the local ABC station, in which they helped expose some of the shenanigans regarding the K. Copeland/D. Brewer real estate mess that has been in court. TFI is/was deeply involved in the Copeland investigation and fed a lot of info to the local media on that, but not word one about them on the (I believe the reporter on that one was Brett Ship). I have watched 20/20 for years and try not to miss it if I can. They (at ABC) have been doing a lot of faith-oriented programming in the last few months and whenever televangelists come up they never mention TFI anymore. Funny, isn't it?[/i]

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 12, 2007 12:05PM

The WFAA reporter's name is Brett [i:88a6c5a0de]Shipp[/i:88a6c5a0de].

Posted by: counselor47 ()
Date: May 15, 2007 07:40AM

This post can be found at [www.colossiansthreesixteen.com]

There is perhaps no story more difficult to tell than our own, espeically when we’ve come through difficult times. Recognizing upfront that her story is subjective, Wendy Duncan has set out to tell of her time in the Trinity Foundation, a non-profit organization located in Dallas, TX, which she claims, is actually a cult. According to the Trinity Foundation website:

Trinity Foundation began in November 1972 as a public, nonprofit organization serving the public interest through religious communications. The foundation produced its own concerts and radio and television programs for the first few years of its existence. However, we quickly became disillusioned with religious broadcasting, having determined that the only way to truly communicate the love of God was by deeds, not words. Accordingly, we have been providing food, shelter, and a sense of community to the poor and distressed since 1976.
The Foundation owns a neighborhood in Dallas where most of the members live together, apparently trying to emulate the Acts 2:42-47 communal lifestyle of the early believers. Members share property and chores, leave their doors unlocked, share childcare and burdens. They welcome the poor and publlish what they call the only religious satire magazine, The Wittenburg Door. The magazine’s stated purpose is to deflate “religious pomposity wherever it has been found.” The life of the community revolves around the festivals, an intriguing selection of highly allegorized Old Testament festivals. Though they do not seem to call themselves a church, they do revolve around a central leader and a very specific teaching.

Many will know the Trinity Foundation and its charismatic leader Ole Anthony (pronounced Ole-eee) from their “undercover investigations” of some leading televangelists. Their detective work (apparently digging through dumpsters, etc.) led to national attention being focused on Robert Tilton and others. This is all the more shocking amidst the claims that the Foundation itself is actually harming its members.

It should be noted that in preparing for this piece I contacted the Trinity Foundation via e-mail to ask two questions: 1) if they had a response to Duncan’s book and, 2) if they would be willing to answer specific doctrinal questions raised by Duncan. In response to the first question, I was told that they were refusing to respond publicly because they were holding out for Matthew 18:15-20 principles, but I was referred to what they referred to as “an independent third party who knows both Trinity Foundation and the Duncan’s well” (read that response here). In response to the second question, I was told that a Bible Study teacher would contact me which has yet to happen.

It’s not hard to see why such a warm and supportive community would be attractive, especially to the hurting and those who’ve felt rejected elsewhere. Wendy found herself in just such a situation when she came in contact with the unusual lifestyle presented to her by the Foundation. Duncan painstakingly, and most likely, painfully details how she came to be involved with the group and how things went sour.

In cases like this, one of the immediate questions a reader must ask is whether or not the term “cult” has been rightly defined and applied. Duncan, who holds an MA from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary is careful not only to define the term to carefully demonstrate how and why it ought to apply to the Trinity Foundation. She has provided numerous quotes from varying sources and taken the time and effort to demonstrate how they specifically apply to this group and its leader. Though the group will undoubtedly deny such allegations, Duncan has done well in showing that there is indeed cause for concern.

The controversy centers on the group’s leader Ole Anthony. Anthony not only lacks formal biblical training but castigates those who have pursued such training. Anthony claims a higher knowledge and teaches members that their reason and mind is actually an enemy which cannot be trusted must be overcome. By instilling members with a gradual loss of self-identity, castigating those with other interpretations, implying that one cannot rightly think for themselves and that they have found a leader who does in fact understand the Bible, Anthony has created an environment ripe for destruction. Duncan describes things this way:

In many ways, Ole had discovered the perfect mind control doctrine. Ole continually exhorted his followers to “go to war with your minds” and in doing so, he corroded their self-trust. Ultimately, this had the effect of changin Ole’s disciples’ perception of reality, and they became increasingly dependent on their leader who claimed that he could see in the spirit.
Duncan notes that “Ole would often ridicule anyone with a religious background or anyone who had theological training.” She notes that he would say things like “I don’t care about your silly schools of thought derived by man. I’m about the real truth.” Later, she says that “Ole often said that at the point he became a believer, he had been given all knowledge and understanding and that he never learned anything that he did not know on that spectacular day.”

It’s interesting that for all the liberty that such knowledge ought to bring, Anthony’s group as described by Duncan actually lives in an odd antinomian legalism. Anthony promotes cursing and intoxication by alcohol, both prohibited by Scripture while constructing a rigid list of festival attendance and participation which becomes necessary for “believers.” Members were subjected to odd fire walking ceremonies and what was known as the “hot seat,” where Anthony and other members would bring up all of your sins, past and present and air them publicly to make you feel their weight. The idea was that you couldn’t experience grace without understanding the weight of judgment. The effect was breaking people’s wills.

Duncan notes that Ole also teaches that “God abhors the human race,” often explicitly saying “God hates you” and taught that if one left his group, then of course, they were not a true believer. This, coupled with the unspoken rule never to speak critically of leaders (who claimed special insight) led to an uneasy devotion to the rulers of the group, even when they appeared to contradict Scripture. For example, Duncan notes that:

I was told that not praying was a good thing. Prayer was simply an attempt to manipulate God in an effort to get something from Him. Prayer was just talking to God about your problems or concerns or whatever, and thus taking thought for self. Prayer in Ole’s theology, was about the individual trying to get something from God - using God as a cosmic Santa Clause. Besides that, praying was presumptuous. Ole’s rationale was this: “Why would the God of the universe give a flip about you?”
I received no response from the group about clarifying some of the doctrinal assertions made by Duncan, but the teachings she cites certainly border on heresy. Regardless of whether or not the group’s beliefs qualify as heresy, their manner of treating people has certainly proved destructive. Duncan has cited personal experience as well as citing other past members. While there are certainly members who will not share Duncan’s perspective, the presence of such concerns certainly deserves a public forum, which the Foundation refuses to entertain. Personal conflicts are one thing. Contradicting Scripture is another.

Duncan writes in a clear, easy to read, informed and informative style. She cites many sources and tries whenever possible to include quotes from Ole himself along with various academic sources, both in reference to cults and Scripture. Duncan is to be commended for her courage to share such a painful story. While the Trinity Foundation’s silence on the personal charges is understandable, their silence on the doctrinal assertions is not and their silence on these issues is particularly troubling. Hopefully, Duncan’s efforts will spare others from the trauma she experienced.

Posted by: cultaware ()
Date: May 17, 2007 09:05PM

on 16 May 2007 at 2:12 pm 14.Marcia said …

On the Trinity Foundation page about feasts, it states: “Through 20 years of biblical study aided by insight from historians, the Jewish oral law in the Talmud, and the Jewish mystical tradition recorded in the Kaballah, we feel we have rediscovered, by the grace of God, the lost links between the Jewish feasts, the New Testament and the life of the Spirit.”

This statement is disturbing for many reasons (I was also disturbed by other statements about language and words) but the major concern I see in this excerpt is reference to the occult Kabbalah. The Kabbalah is not rooted either in scripture or sound biblical theology, but derives from medieval esoteric writings/teachings that depict a god found neither in Judaism nor in Christianity. The Kabbalah is gnostic and occult in nature and should never be used even in part as a basis for any Christian teaching. I have an article on the Kabbalah on my website and have lectured on it.

I also see here a reliance on “oral” traditions of the Talmud. This plus the reliance on the Kabbalah show a major deficiency in discernment and basis for theology of what is being taught at the Trinity Foundation.

I have read Wendy Duncan’s book and found it to be credible. Whatever the personal conflicts may be and whatever caused the writing of the book, we should not use those as a basis to disregard the content of the book or the serious issues it raises about this group.

Marcia has a website called CANA ( Christian answers for the New Age)

Posted by: seeking ()
Date: May 20, 2007 08:18PM

Where are the Trinity Foundation's defenders now? It seems Wendy's book is receiving more acknowledgements from credible sources. I notice NathanA and Cherenuff have disappeared.

It's hard to admit when we're wrong about something or someone we believed in.

Posted by: cultaware ()
Date: May 20, 2007 10:54PM

Seeking,
I hope they can admit it to themselves. That is the first real step to recovery. I pray that is just what happens. Hopefully people will think long and hard before joining any fringe group led by a charismatic leader. Especially one who promises to unlock the long hidden secrets of Christianity. I also wonder what NathanA and Cherenuff1 are up to.
I hope TF members haven't been banned by their leaders from this website.
cultaware

Posted by: Mark Scheiderer ()
Date: May 21, 2007 03:02AM

The sad thing is is that Ogre Anthony and the ones still inside are probably in a "circle the wagons" mentality. Anthony is probably pulling out all the stops when it comes to control, so that no one else even THINKS of leaving - even though the ability to conceive of leaving has probably already been established.
Hopefully, his defenders - which appears to only have been the Alnors - have wised up, wiped the rotten egg off their faces, and are distancing themselves from him.
The thing to do now is to intensify efforts to expose Anthony.
Some ways this can be done are:
1. Add a link to the Duncan's site on Wikipedia.
2. Keep clicking on the Duncan's site every day so that it gets a higher Google page rank.
3. Contact as many counter-cult/apologetics sites as possible and ask them to add a link to the Duncan's site. [www.deceptioninthechurch.com] has a list of 60+ links.

Mark

Posted by: Mark Scheiderer ()
Date: May 21, 2007 03:05AM

Oops. I should have said the "INability to conceive of leaving".

Mark

Date: May 21, 2007 12:55PM

[/quote]I hope TF members haven't been banned by their leaders from this website.
cultaware[/quote]

Skippy indicated to me that he was aware of this board but not about whether he reads it.

The sad thing is is that Ogre Anthony and the ones still inside are probably in a "circle the wagons" mentality. Anthony is probably pulling out all the stops when it comes to control, so that no one else even THINKS of leaving - even though the ability to conceive of leaving has probably already been established.
Hopefully, his defenders - which appears to only have been the Alnors - have wised up, wiped the rotten egg off their faces, and are distancing themselves from him.
The thing to do now is to intensify efforts to expose Anthony.
Some ways this can be done are:
1. Add a link to the Duncan's site on Wikipedia.
2. Keep clicking on the Duncan's site every day so that it gets a higher Google page rank.
3. Contact as many counter-cult/apologetics sites as possible and ask them to add a link to the Duncan's site. [www.deceptioninthechurch.com] has a list of 60+ links.

Mark

Here is a list of the organizations/agencies with whom I have communicated as to my testimony/witness of my experience in TFI:

1) Watchman Fellowship,
2) Spiritual Counterfeits Project,
3) ICSA,
4) culteducation.com (duh),
5) Various associates of the local Dallas Theological Seminary esp. in the "Fellowship" churches,
6) Various local media,
7) The Campus Chaplain (and his staff) of our local Southern Methodist University.

I have tried to do as much as I can to raise awareness of TFI in local theological circles, as well as in local ministry and intellectual-type circles. Can anybody suggest more ideas?

Posted by: NathanA ()
Date: May 23, 2007 10:32AM

I'm still checking in here now and then. I don't have much to say though that I feel would be productive to this discussion. One thing I would say is that the last issue of the Wittenburg Door was excellent. The issue really focuses on responding to and loving the poor. It made me glad to read alot of it. I thought the "Last Word" written by Ole and Skippy was good too. So to me, I think you guys throw out the baby with the bathwater when you dump Trinity wholesale. Seems to me TFI has its priorities better placed than many churches when it comes to social justice issues.

I have had some problems with some of the stuff the Door has printed, ie. the nudie centrefold of W.V. Grant. But all in all I think the magazine is generally edifying.

Current Page: 86 of 110

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.