Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Anyone know about the Baha'i Faith?
Posted by: stevew ()
Date: May 14, 2003 11:22PM

I don't find any info on this site about it, but it seems to be a new religious movement that I wonder about. I've heard it started in Iran 150 years ago, or so, and that they worship this Bahaulah or something. But I've also heard they believe in all religions. Anyone know more?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lady Pleiades ()
Date: May 15, 2003 12:37AM

They have a beautiful temple here in Wilmette IL but I have only met one in my life. He was a peaceful person and always talked about "my faith." But I met him in a therapy cult... For whatever that's worth.

My limited understanding is that they believe in the principles that are common to every religion: peace, tolerance, forgiveness, prayer, etc. All of that is very appealing to me, except that I am very very wary of joining anything anymore.

not very helpful, I know. sorry

Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: May 15, 2003 12:41AM

Originally posted by stevew
I don't find any info on this site about it, but it seems to be a new religious movement that I wonder about. I've heard it started in Iran 150 years ago, or so, and that they worship this Bahaulah or something. But I've also heard they believe in all religions. Anyone know more?

The Baha'i Faith is rather old and I know they have a shrine in Haifa, Israel. I've been in it. From what I know they're a non-violent sect although their founder Bahaulah was killed by Moslem extremists a long time ago.

Date: May 15, 2003 01:15AM

Originally posted by richardmgreen

The Baha'i Faith is rather old and I know they have a shrine in Haifa, Israel. I've been in it. From what I know they're a non-violent sect although their founder Bahaulah was killed by Moslem extremists a long time ago.

Bahai looks at all the religions as succesive revelations. i have a friend who's a bahai, I'll alert him to this posting.

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: May 15, 2003 05:26AM

I don't believe Baha'ullah is worshipped - they worship God. Baha'ullah is a divinely inspired person, whose writings - I have to look up the name - is considered sacred. Bahai is an inclusive religion.

Try [www.Beliefnet.com] for info on Bahai.

Date: May 15, 2003 09:00PM

Originally posted by Hope
I don't believe Baha'ullah is worshipped - they worship God. Baha'ullah is a divinely inspired person, whose writings - I have to look up the name - is considered sacred. Bahai is an inclusive religion.

Try [www.Beliefnet.com] for info on Bahai.
Baha'uallah isn't worshipped.

Date: May 17, 2003 01:21AM

Well, the way I understand it, Bahaullah (spelled it wrong before) is considered a prophet from God, like Christ, Muhammad and so on.

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: May 22, 2003 10:08PM

Not that there is any connection (as far as I can tell), but I think it is so ironic that the subject of the Bahai faith was brought up on this forum. The person I know who was very much involved in Landmark claimed to be a descendent of Baha'ullah, who he said was his great, great, great, great grandfather. In other words, my LE person was a descendent of the divine. I know the guy was a narcissist, but wow ... :)

Date: May 24, 2003 12:09AM

It's possible they are telling the truth. Baha'u'llah, as I understand it (I've been reading up), lived from 1817-1892. I've now met a couple people who know people whose great-greats were followers of Baha'u'llah when he was alive.

More and more, this religion is seeming very legit and attractive to me.

Posted by: betsy ()
Date: May 24, 2003 12:48PM

I was a bahai many years ago. I was attracted to the basic beliefs that God is one humanity is one. I left the faith many years ago. Many Bahai's that I've met are truly lovely people. Saying that, I also feel conflicted. They do not prosletize or rather they say they don't. I remember going on teaching trips and the pressure I felt to come back to the center with signatures on membership forms. This turned me off. If we are all unique and different and one, why do we need to go out and sign people up? Why can't we just accept people for who they are without trying to make them like an "us".
The door to door always seemed targeted at poor predominately black communities in the South. They never bilked me for money. They are very traditional...no sex before marriage....no homosexuality...no drinking...smoking is frowned upon but not prohibited...These restrictions turned me off as well. Although possessing a questioning mind is encouraged, I never saw or heard rigorous intellectual discussion during a meeting. I do need to stress one thing I admired is that the focus is on God...Bahaullah is a messenger. I don't think that photographs of Bahullah or the Bab exist. That was intentional so that people wouldn't worship an image. Also, one of the most beautiful, gentilest soul I ever met was an elderly Bahai. I've been away from it for many years..I am curious how they are interpreting the current world crisis. I went to many protests against the war this past year and saw no trace of them.
Actually, to change the subject slightly,
it seems to me that the current world climate of fear is a perfect environment for recruiting people.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.