Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Shunyamurti aka Robert Shubow of Sat Yoga Institute
Posted by: facet ()
Date: August 03, 2019 08:22PM

Hello,

It’s my first proper post, and would like to ask if others have come across Shunyamurti? He has an ashram ‘sat yoga institute’ and has been a familiar ‘guru’ face on YouTube now for many years.

Across the YouTube uploads he gives some really wonderful insight and value, however I couldn’t help but notice and become disappointed with his obvious and more frequent references to the ‘end of the world’.

It is also very expensive to attend.

I since found that Shunyamurti is in fact ex Brahma Kumaris, And was not permitted to rise in it’s hierarchy (likely due to race), I wonder if Sat Yoga and it’s teaching could be considered an offshoot of Brahma kumaris since it’s teachings are very similar.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shunyamurti aka Robert Shubow of Sat Yoga Institute
Posted by: facet ()
Date: December 15, 2019 08:22PM

Bump

Anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shunyamurti aka Robert Shubow of Sat Yoga Institute
Posted by: zizlz ()
Date: December 16, 2019 04:58AM

facet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Across the YouTube uploads he gives some really
> wonderful insight and value, however I couldn’t
> help but notice and become disappointed with his
> obvious and more frequent references to the ‘end
> of the world’.

I felt the same way when I watched some of his videos some years ago. He doesn't strike me as a narcissist, unlike most cult leaders (though he might be one). But his doomsday prophecies are definitely a big no no.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shunyamurti aka Robert Shubow of Sat Yoga Institute
Posted by: facet ()
Date: December 16, 2019 09:08PM

Thanks for reply, I agree the doomsday prophecies are a big no.

What really struck me was the similarity in what Bramah Kumaris put out, and that is a shame because for me BK is an establishment that has much to answer for.

I imagine coming out of something so abusive as BK would make usual life extremely difficult to navigate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shunyamurti aka Robert Shubow of Sat Yoga Institute
Posted by: zizlz ()
Date: December 17, 2019 02:13AM

facet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What really struck me was the similarity in what
> Bramah Kumaris put out, and that is a shame
> because for me BK is an establishment that has
> much to answer for.

Yes, and Bramah Kumaris are very into doomsday prophecy too, from what I gather.

> I imagine coming out of something so abusive as BK
> would make usual life extremely difficult to
> navigate.

That might help explain why he has set up a community where he can live sheltered from the society he so often condemns, and where he's treated as the one who knows truth, and tells others how it is.

I watched some of his videos yesterday, and I must say I genuinely like him, but even though he wants to appear very knowledgeable on many subjects, he is demonstrably ignorant on some of the things he lectures about. For example:

Quote
the most recent quantum

physics experiments they know that there

is retrocausality even at the level of

particles subatomic particles so that

when they are observed at a later time

that observation will cause them to

change their own past history and

trajectory in order to meet with the

observers belief in what should have

happened right even though that's not

what happened

so magic is happening even in the

consciousness of these I I don't even

actually believe they are particles

they're perturbations of the waves of

electromagnetic energies that that make

up the the content of space and time


(Sorry for the lack of punctualization and capitalization; this is copied from the auto-generated subtitle-file.)

He repeats a common misunderstanding of quantum mechanics, that quantum behavior depends on an observer's belief. See for example this article for an explanation of why this claim is erroneous: [arxiv.org]


When he says "I don't even actually believe they are particles they're perturbations of the waves of electromagnetic energies that that make up the the content of space and time," he's probably referring to the widely accepted Quantum Field Theory, but he totally garbles what that theory says.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shunyamurti aka Robert Shubow of Sat Yoga Institute
Posted by: zizlz ()
Date: December 17, 2019 02:40AM

Link to the video I was talking about: [www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shunyamurti aka Robert Shubow of Sat Yoga Institute
Posted by: facet ()
Date: December 17, 2019 07:41AM

> That might help explain why he has set up a
> community where he can live sheltered from the
> society he so often condemns, and where he's
> treated as the one who knows truth, and tells
> others how it is.

That’s exactly what I wondered, it’s lovely to share knowledge and this is appreciated, though it pains me to see the aftermath of manipulators interwoven in his output, it’s disheartening.

I must
> say I genuinely like him

Same :-)


but even though he wants
> to appear very knowledgeable on many subjects, he
> is demonstrably ignorant on some of the things he
> lectures about. For example:
>
>
Quote
the most recent quantum
>
> physics experiments they know that there
>
> is retrocausality even at the level of
>
> particles subatomic particles so that
>
> when they are observed at a later time
>
> that observation will cause them to
>
> change their own past history and
>
> trajectory in order to meet with the
>
> observers belief in what should have
>
> happened right even though that's not
>
> what happened
>
> so magic is happening even in the
>
> consciousness of these I I don't even
>
> actually believe they are particles
>
> they're perturbations of the waves of
>
> electromagnetic energies that that make
>
> up the the content of space and time

>
>
> (Sorry for the lack of punctualization and
> capitalization; this is copied from the
> auto-generated subtitle-file.)
>
> He repeats a common misunderstanding of quantum
> mechanics, that quantum behavior depends on an
> observer's belief. See for example this article
> for an explanation of why this claim is erroneous:
> [arxiv.org]
>
>
> When he says "I don't even actually believe
> they are particles they're perturbations of the
> waves of electromagnetic energies that that make
> up the the content of space and time
," he's
> probably referring to the widely accepted Quantum
> Field Theory, but he totally garbles what that
> theory says.

Thank you for sharing this, I had a little look into it. I do not know much about these areas myself (I’d love to learn more!) but agree on what I might understand.

We are each free, our observing of something can in no way be a manipulation.

I watched the video you shared and almost straight away Shunya mentions the field of egoless people or something like that, it is unfortunately regime like to me. Why it is that everyone should be ‘awake’ is beyond me, this is something I never got in all of the spiritual fields.

It’s a bit like ‘everyone must be like me’, which is cringey to say the least.

Did you ever see this batgap (buddah at the gas pump) interview?

YouTube

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shunyamurti aka Robert Shubow of Sat Yoga Institute
Posted by: zizlz ()
Date: December 18, 2019 04:06AM

facet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I watched the video you shared and almost straight
> away Shunya mentions the field of egoless people
> or something like that, it is unfortunately regime
> like to me. Why it is that everyone should be
> ‘awake’ is beyond me, this is something I never
> got in all of the spiritual fields.

You mean the part where he says "it's a great joy to see everyone—those who are here for the first time and those who are back after some time—but it already feels like we are creating a very magical energy field together"? That seems like an innocuous remark to me.

> Did you ever see this batgap (buddah at the gas
> pump) interview?

I just watched it. It confirms the critical notes we made before—that he isn't open about having in Brahma Kumaris, that he talks about physics in terms that betray a lack of knowledge (though I mostly agree with the gist of what he says about it), and that his views of a coming apocalypse are (hopefully) a bit extreme and alarmist.

But most of all I want to say what a breath of fresh air it is to see a spiritual teacher not getting high on the smell of his own farts. So many spiritual teachers are in the game just to serve their egos. I think he's one of the most sincere teachers I've seen. And I think there's a lot of truth to many things he says. If his ashram was in my part of the world, I might pay them a visit, that's how much I like him.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2019 04:09AM by zizlz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shunyamurti aka Robert Shubow of Sat Yoga Institute
Posted by: facet ()
Date: December 20, 2019 08:40PM

> You mean the part where he says "it's a great
> joy to see everyone—those who are here for the
> first time and those who are back after some
> time—but it already feels like we are creating a
> very magical energy field together
"?

No, it’s around the 20 mins in mark mentioning ego and then pertaining to the egoless state becoming a unified field.

I’ve heard a few heralding this it is kind of a theme, Eckhart Tolle immediately springs to mind.

The thing for me is that ego activity or not, we are all a unified field anyway, like it or not. Anything else is simply separation ideology isn’t it.

That everyone must be awakened does not give of the vibe of freedom to me. It give off the vibe of control of how people should be and the utter denial of life just as it is.

>seems like an innocuous remark to me

I’ll check it out, I love a good study!

>I think he's one of the most
> sincere teachers I've seen. And I think there's a
> lot of truth to many things he says.

Yes there is, I have really enjoyed many of his teachings and I see that he is a very talented story teller and is genuinely doing what he does from a benefit to humanity perspective. I also see those bits that have been picked up elsewhere though and this is the issue.

Unfortunately it is those bits picked up elsewhere that I see as harming for people, and the creating fear through death end of the world apocalyptic thing seals the deal for me.

It is a horrible thing that we’re sometimes taught by people who did not have our best interests at heart as spiritual guides are trusted to do, and that the same manipulations ate then unwittingly carried forward to others, thinking that we’re doing best or service to humanity :-(.

If his ashram
> was in my part of the world, I might pay them a
> visit, that's how much I like him.

Every fibre of my being was ready to go there too, though I’m glad that I didn’t in the end because I don’t think it would have been healthy for me in the end. In my imagination back then, I would go there and stay for life hehe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shunyamurti aka Robert Shubow of Sat Yoga Institute
Posted by: sig ()
Date: December 20, 2019 09:32PM

The spiritual costume ... the hypnotic voice ... the withdrawal from external society and external reality ... the guru-figure dominating proceedings ... plenty of red flags for me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.