Landmark and Children?
Posted by: Laura19 ()
Date: February 21, 2006 02:33PM

Hello,

I am looking for some information or thoughts on Landmark Education’s potential effects on children.

My daughter’s father has recently joined the Landmark Group, and since his first session with the ‘forum’ his behavior has been becoming more and more bizarre. I have done a bit of research on the group, and I admit I don’t know much; but from what I gather the program can have mind altering effects on its followers, and not in a good way.

A bit of history…..

I received a phone call from my ex while he was attending this course mid day from a “Private Name/Private Number”. Now for the past few years our conversations have been nothing more than pick up/drop off plans for our daughter; but when I answered the phone he immediately went into a (what sounded like to me) a sales pitch about how he has become new man. He apologized over and over again for the years of wrong doings, and told me that he knew he was a liar etc etc….This went on for about 10 minutes, until I could no longer listen to the nonsense. Each time I would begin to lambaste him for getting involved with such a ridiculous group he would pause for a few seconds and then come up with some rational totally out of character for him. I am not a paranoid person, but it honestly felt like someone was listening in on the conversation.

Anyways, he asked me a number of times to attend the upcoming forum with him, to which I enthusiastically said thanks but NO thanks! This was pretty much the end of that conversation.

A few hours later he called and spoke with my daughter, and this is what worries me. He stated that he can’t wait to show her all of the new things he has learned, and that everything is going to change. He told her that he was not eating and that he was a new person, and he is going to help her to do the same…..?

Now I know that I am a strong enough person (and parent) to deal with the misguided info that my child can get from her father, but this is different. I want to prepare myself to deal with her questions ahead of time. First of all, does Landmark involve children in its sessions. He has her two week ends per month, and I am worried that he may sign her up to go during that time. Do they starve the children like they starve the adults (the mother in me always worrying about whether or not she is getting fed properly!)

This is THE most bizarre situation we have had to deal with to date….but I want to put an end to it stat.

Any info would help at this point. I am a phone call away from taking a strip off of our local Landmark group, not that it would help!

Thanks! Sorry for the novel length post!

Options: ReplyQuote
Landmark and Children?
Posted by: mjr40 ()
Date: February 23, 2006 12:32AM

Please be careful! The Landmark cult has a program for children and teens:
[www.landmarkeducation.com]
The Landmark Forum for Young People (Ages 8-12)
The power to invent new possibilities; courage to face challenges; and freedom to create, grow, and be fully-expressed.

I lost a friend to the Landmark cult as an adult, and now they are starting to ensnare people at younger ages as well. This is par for the course with larger cults, like Opus Dei, Landmark, or Scientology. The Landmark Fourm occurs over a 3 day period, usually Friday - Sunday, where participants are lectured to, browbeaten, insulted and shouted at for 12 - 14 hours a day, usually in a hotel conference room. Due to physical and psychological fatigue, people become much more open to outside suggestion and personality-altering techniques by Landmark cult leaders. Part of all cult recruitment includes trying to recruit those close to you - spouses, siblings, children, friends and co-workers. Thus, your husband's pressure to recruit you and your child is quite normal, since this is also one of the primary goals of those in cults - the pressure to recruit others. This often results in severe rifts in families, as cults attempt to cut their members off from all outside influences and those outside the cult. Please be careful. Here is an excellent article from Elle Magazine:
[www.culteducation.com]

Landmark and Children?
Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: February 23, 2006 03:15AM

Laura19

He told her that he was not eating and that he was a new person, and he is going to help her to do the same…..?

That alone is frightening! Keep an eye on your daughter and monitor her eating habits. I hope he doesn't seriously expect her to stop eating, but you never know.

Landmark and Children?
Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: February 23, 2006 06:46AM

Yes, they wash the brains of children, too.

I had to go along. My friends were buzzing and I was curious to see what all the fuss was about. It wasn't going to cost me more than sitting with a bunch of strangers for an evening. It was hall filled with big smiles on timid faces. My friends seemed nervous until they were greeted with silver smiles and golden handshakes. I sat down.

I'd heard it all before. I just wasn't expecting the roars of laughter and applause at every half-joke and half-witted remark. I looked at my friends, but they were staring straight ahead. They looked tired. I yawned.

I knew it was coming. Volunteer leaders stood in a long line. They led small group into the many rooms around the building. It bothered me that children were separated from their parents and taken away. Now, I know as a culture we do trust people with our children, i.e. school, camp, etc.

In my little room I tried to hold my breath and wait for it to be over. For my friends, I sat through one of the worst lectures and doodled pictures in my program. When I asked a question the 'leader' was careful to separate me from the others. Perhaps it was my question, but I didn't laugh at his humour - I wasn't caught by his gaze. He was at pains to dismiss Werner Erhard's connection to Landmark. He was going red and sweaty. He didn't want to know about EST, LGAT or where the money was going. He stumbled on his face when he compared Landmark to Greenpeace and The Salvation Army. None of this was open to the small group.

I don't know what they do to the children. But it can't be worse than the games they play with their parents. The key difference is that children don't have money.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.