Date: January 14, 2015 12:59AM

Note that it goes by 7 steps.

What's to keep the management of Maum from, at some point,
changing the menu?

People would have to start back at the beginning, instead of
being able to graduate and no longer need
to pay for lessons

THis review is from a few years ago.

Note the 7 PM time for the intro session, and on a Thursday.

Which was then changed to 7:30 PM on a Wednesday.

Most of us have to go to work on Thursdays.

If you are kept up late at one of these 'introductions'
and then have to go to work on schedule the next day,
bang.

Sleep deprivation.

And note how the reviewer arrived at the house and was kept
waiting.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/diamond-bar-maum-meditation-walnut

0/14/2012
1 check-in First to Review

For $150 a month, I think I'll pass. Personally, I believe that helping others in achieving spiritual happiness should be a free service, especially since this place claims to be nonprofit, is accepting donations, and the volunteers and members take turn bringing everyone snacks and whatnot.

The service is held in a one-story home. I was greeted by a really pretty Korean lady in her 30s, who has been managing this location for four years, and was served pomegranate tea by a Korean mother of two, who has been a member of this location for three years.

The free introductory seminar is held every Thursday night at 7:00pm, but the brochure I received from a Tustin juice bar was outdated and advertised Diamond Bar's free seminar as every Wednesday night at 7:30pm.

Still, the lady who greeted me requested I stay and she would be with me as soon as she's done with her current client.

I sipped away at the delicious tea, studying the living room several times while the Korean mother eyeballed me with a smile on her face making my wait a bit awkward so I struck up a conversation with her. About a minute into the conversation, I hear shouting from the hallway. I would later learn from the manager that all the ruckus is how the members practice letting go of their past.

I was seated on two cushions that were placed on a floor seating (my first and quite comfortable). Watched a few short clips on strangers exclaiming how awful their lives were until Maum Meditation made their lives sooo unexplainably great you've got to experience it yourself! Having studied advertising before, these commercials make me roll my eyes. I wanted more from my seminar.

At least give me a taste of "step 1" from the "7-step guided method of subtraction that allows you to become free of the limitations imposed by your past".

When it became clear that I would have to pay to get even a taste of the steps, I thought I could gain some inspiration from the manager's experiences. I wanted to know what made her start, what made her happy, what were some of the challenges she faced practicing Maum Meditation.

She argued that I don't need to know any of these things about her or anyone else and that I should only concern myself with my issues. Sharing is caring and it does help. A bit turned away from Maum Meditation, for now... It may tickle me fancy again

Options: ReplyQuote
One person's report on Reddit
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 14, 2015 01:10AM

(Note: these are person by person accounts.

However, if there is *any* chance of a group sending you
requiring your heavy expenditure or that you
may be asked to go work for them abroad,
you have every right to find out what full commitment is
expected of you, so you can make an informed decision
at the beginning.

This is your human right. To be given full disclosure, up
front.)

It may be objected that outsiders/non members have no right
to pass judgement or comment.

Let us say this: any set up that benefits from US tax exemption
by stating it is a religious non profit is indirectly subsidized
by those of us who do pay our taxes.

Plus if anyone comes home desititute or traumatized, they
will need support from those of us who stayed home,
worried about them, loved them -- and who pay tax.

Reddit

[www.reddit.com]

Dangers of cultism in meditation- how I found myself in a cult, and how I'm recovering. Maum Meditation in particular. (self.Meditation)

submitted 2 years ago by maummeditation

Hello, throwaway here because I don't want to get killed lol (seriously though)

I joined this meditation thing called Maum Meditation. I still don't know much about cult-ism to correctly call what I'm thinking of, but it's basically a brainwashing group.

Kind of like a rotten onion, the outside seems perfectly normal but layer after layer as you get in deeper into its roots its rotten, basically. After some time they ask for "Sky Funds" to allow your ancestors to go to heaven from purgatory, about 1K USD.

But I think I should start with how the system works. There's 8 "levels" of meditation that gets progessively into the foundation of the cult, but there are three "extra special" levels "becoming born", "being your born entity" and a third one they just came up with. They come up with a new level every once in a while and the special levels after the 8 levels cost about 4K USD per person to attend to.

It's popping up in cities all over the world, but is having a hard time getting started. Please let your friends and lovers know about this cult and to stay away from it at all costs. They say that they are "science-based" with questionable UN and Ghandi awards but it's all just an illusion on the outside.

They routinely put spies to track their members (scary shit), check incoming members for electronic devices using the metal detectors, and is pretty much paranoid about getting caught with the media.

They also ask for you to give up all your life savings, quit your job, and give your life and body to the cause. Look up maum meditation cult on google, and you will see that any negative posts made, they have made sure to comment positively on it.

another person's comment on the same reddit thread

[–]CastleArg 1 point 2 years ago

Thanks for drawing attention to this. A close friend was getting heavily involved with this (to the point of spending several months living with them in some sort of commune) and I was getting concerned, but unable to learn much about them as the "classes" were all in Korean, which I don't speak. I attended a couple of sessions and they seemed a lot more like a lecture than a meditation session, quite scary really. At the commune they would meditate for many hours each day, and eventually start working in Maum's farms (for free) as part of their spiritual betterment. I have been unable to find any useful information on the web that doesn't reek of being doctored. Again I could be missing out on information written in Korean.

Re: One person's report on Reddit
Posted by: tree001 ()
Date: January 24, 2015 02:14PM

I have been involved with maum meditation for some time. In my opinion Maum Meditation has nothing to do with real meditation, you do not meditate there at all (only at the end of the session they ask you to meditate for few minutes), the rest of the time they will help you to clean your mind, so Maum Meditation should be called Maum Brainwashing.

First warning sign was when Maum meditation helper ask for $1000 Sky fund donation so that their group founder can remove deceased family members from purgatory.
Later I find out that Maum meditation has another level, or what they call “culmination study” they have several names for that and they will ask large amount of money for it ($4000-$6000), they do not mention about this until they think you are ready to accept it.
Also to pass level 4 you have to accept and be certain that Maum meditation founder and his wife are creators of the Universe.
So all these and other more warning signs pop up along the way.

Re: Maum Meditation
Date: January 24, 2015 02:24PM

corboy, looks like you one of the maum zombies been instructed to write these testimonials. Where the money goes nobody knows, maum cult does not give any financial disclosures. Maum is a destructive cult, it does not value family values, it destroys personality and human relationships. I was a member of this cult until I realized what is about. Maum organization is after your time and your money. First warning sign was when Maum meditation helper ask for $1000 Sky fund donation so that their group founder can remove deceased family members from purgatory.
Later I find out that Maum meditation has another level, or what they call “culmination study” they have several names for that and they will ask large amount of money for it ($4000-$6000), they do not mention about this until they think you are ready to accept it.

Also to pass level 4 you have to accept and be certain that Maum meditation founder and his wife are creators of the Universe.
So all these and other more warning signs pop up along the way.

Date: January 24, 2015 02:28PM

I have been involved with maum meditation for some time. I would like to share my experience and I hope that it will be helpful for somebody out there. I posted my full article here: http://nickfso.dreamwidth.org/
On the internet is a lot of very positive testimonials how amazing this maum meditation is, I believe most of them are posted by instructed maum organization members themselves
During the introductory lecture Maum Meditation helpers (people who work their, guiding during meditation, are called “helpers”) will tell you that your mind is full of garbage, and they will help you to clean it. In my opinion Maum Meditation has nothing to do with real meditation, you do not meditate there at all (only at the end of the session they ask you to meditate for few minutes), the rest of the time they will help you to clean your mind, so Maum Meditation should be called Maum Brainwashing.
Is maum meditation good and right method to reduce stress and (as Maum Meditation promise) spiritual enlightenment, and peaceful mind? My experience in the beginning was really good, right now not so good.
First warning sign was when Maum meditation helper ask for $1000 Sky fund donation so that their group founder can remove deceased family members from purgatory.
Later I find out that Maum meditation has another level, or what they call “culmination study” they have several names for that and they will ask large amount of money for it ($4000-$6000), they do not mention about this until they get you ready to accept it.

Date: January 24, 2015 02:37PM

Ladymama Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> good evening are you still involved in the
> meditation process if so what are your experiences
> and what do you think so far about it. my
> boyfriend is really trying to make me get involved
> in this so if you can really explain to me the
> process and what you thought of it will really be
> helpful thank youmy boyfriend is really trying to
> make me get involved in this so if you can really
> explain to me the process and what you thought of
> it will really be helpful thank you

I was involved in to maum meditation for long time, from my experience its brainwashing cult, they after your time and money. do search on the internet about them before you get your self into it. Tell you boyfriend to ask maum helpers these questions:
Is it true that when you first sign up they don’t tell you about a large sum of money you will have to pay for the “culmination process” ($4000- $6000 ? or half or all of your savings ?
Is it true that after completing few levels Maum meditation helpers ask for $1000 Sky fund donation so that their group founder can remove your deceased family members from purgatory ?
Is it true that to finish and pass level 4, you have to accept and be certain that Maum meditation founder and his wife are creators of the Universe?

Date: January 29, 2015 10:02PM

Quoted from

[nickfso.dreamwidth.org]

If you practicing maum meditation you would say “but I am getting amazing results”, “I can sleep better, I am more relaxed, I tried many other methods and only this feels right, or my relationship improved dramatically, or I felt something extraordinary” or similar feelings.

Yes, you are right, in the beginning some of us getting some results, and here is why- what’s happening with us during this meditation its nothing new, those techniques are used for over 200 years (studies are done and books are written by neuroscientist and psychiatrists Kathleen Taylo, Ivan Pavlov, William Walters and other scientists ).

A brief explanation – during this meditation our body goes through stress, because Maum Meditation is not a meditation that you sit quietly and suppress your thoughts, during maum meditation you are doing subtraction, you constantly in your mind bringing up your memories from the past (pictures) and mentally destroying them, also destroying your body, your friends, your family, destroying everybody and everything (as you progress in Maum meditation levels),

so during long hours of this kind destruction our body goes through stress and brain releases chemicals called Endorphins.

Endorphins are feel good chemicals our bodies release under pain or stress. They are considered the bodies own opiates. So we kind drugging our self during this meditation. And as we practice this method more and for longer hours per day,

the result of this mental stage we get is impaired mental judgment and increased suggestibility.

Basically our brain goes flat – “clean slate state”, and existing mental programming is replaced, by maum meditation helpers, with new patterns of thinking and behavior- our mind is reprogrammed to serve maum meditation group.

Once a person has been “reprogrammed” they often cannot think for themselves, and become intellectually as well as emotionally dependent upon Maum meditation helpers and leaders, a person starts trusting them completely, a person’s ability to question information and use critical analysis are eliminated.

We start going door to door to distribute Maum meditation flyers to recruit more members, start using food supplements Maum meditation sells us, and so on and on.

This state of mind is a reversion to an earlier state of evolution.
---
In my opinion Maum meditation using mind control techniques, after receiving this new programming we passionately defend Maum meditation and their leaders, and we start claiming that we been “shown the truth”, “we will be saved”. . . or “this is amazing method”.
---
So is Maum Meditation a cult?
A while ago I would said no way Maum meditation is a cult, everybody so nice and loving, no way I am in a cult. Now I can say- nobody ever joints a cult, nobody joins something they think is going to hurt them. We join a religious organization, some movement, a yoga class or similar, and we join with people that we really like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 10:04PM by corboy.

Date: February 10, 2015 04:14AM

Ive been doing this meditation for about 2 weeks now, however i only decided to google it just last week and obviously found a lot of content that its a cult or has cult tendencies. huge disappointment. however, i have to be honest that the message of throwing away bad pictures and getting outside of my head/world really spoke to me.

I decided to do online research last week because I was trying to gain more context around maum. It has been a struggle to communicate with my helper. I'm having difficulty with connecting to the method/ throw-away imagery and "customization" doesnt seem to be an option.

I would like to be able to achieve some therapeutic benefits out of this method, so my question for former maum meditators is, "Can i obtain enough helpful tools with this method inlevels 1 through 3 and stop at level 4, which from what I read, is where the cult signs begin to appear?

Date: February 10, 2015 01:22PM

To Sceptical beginner,
Can I ask you -how did you find maum meditation and why you joined them?
My answer to your question- don't waste your time with maum, they prey on people like you, I don't see any benefits you can get out of this method. do search on the internet about destructive cults and how they operate, how to recognize them. Maum meditation has almost all cult warning signs. If you have more questions ask me, I would be glad to help.
Also check this article "Dangers of Spiritual Awakening" by Inelia Benz

The question one can ask:
Date: February 10, 2015 10:38PM

You'd not be welcome in Maum if you did not already have
a nice personality, good manners, and an ability to
enjoy other people's company -- and listen to
instructions.

You'd not have been welcome in Maum if you did not already
have a capacity for hope and curiosity.

All of this is emotional and intellectual
wealth. You developed these
because of relationships prior to Maum.
Questions one can ask.

When have I felt this same way elsewhere that I
feel in Maum practice?

When have I felt this way without a 'helper'?

Without making trips to a center or a helper's home?

Without spending money?

And without the dangling carrot of a future goal that is
described as wonderful, but 7 steps away?

There can be something that feels wonderful in
a gathered community with helpers.

But...ask yourself if you can find other communities
without the kinds of troubling features that others
have reported about Maum.

All the ways you feel good and hopeful come from
inside of you.

Your feelings of hope, of progress, of well being
come from inside of you and -- what you learned
from all the relationships you ever had
with people and communities, long, long before
you encountered Maum.

Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.