Re: "Jesus Christians," "Australian cult," Dave McKay
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: January 28, 2011 06:22AM

Stoic
'The principle is, that when there is a conflict between somebody's beliefs and their behavior, most people will tend to alter their beliefs in order to justify their behavior.

That's basically one of the main processes through which people get locked into the situational traps that cults are.'

Very astute comment there Zeuszor, it begs the question: what conceivable purpose does it serve to allow Davejc and his pod people to run rampant on yet another platform?

It also underlines the the importance of choosing your battles.

Here's a cheerful, optimistic tune:

[www.youtube.com]

Do you know who George Harrison wrote Here Comes the Sun about, or rather in honor of, Stoic?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 06:24AM by zeuszor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 28, 2011 06:29AM

Am signing off for the evening. Goodbye for now.

Posted by: Apollo ()
Date: January 28, 2011 06:44AM

See you later zeuszor. It's been a pleasure as always.

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: January 28, 2011 08:20AM

George Harrison said it was about the English winter which goes on forever, its such a relief when it stops:

"Here Comes the Sun" was written at the time when Apple was getting like school, where we had to go and be businessmen: 'Sign this' and 'sign that'. Anyway, it seems as if winter in England goes on forever, by the time spring comes you really deserve it. So one day I decided I was going to sag off Apple and I went over to Eric Clapton's house. The relief of not having to go see all those dopey accountants was wonderful, and I walked around the garden with one of Eric's acoustic guitars and wrote "Here Comes the Sun".

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 08:45AM by Stoic.

Date: January 28, 2011 10:25AM

'It is very tempting to take the side of the perpetrator. All the perpetrator asks is that the bystander do nothing.
He appeals to the universal desire to see, hear, and speak no evil. The victim, on the contrary, asks the bystander to share the burden of the pain. The victim demands action, engagement, and remembering. . . .

'If secrecy fails, the perpetrator attacks the credibility of his victim. If he cannot silence her absolutely, he tries to make sure that no one listens. To this end, he marshals an impressive array of arguments, from the most blatant denial to the most sophisticated and elegant rationalization. After every atrocity one can expect to hear the same predictable apologies: it never happened; the victim lies; the victim exaggerates; the victim brought it on herself; and in any case it is time to forget the past and move on. The more powerful the perpetrator, the greater is his prerogative to name and define reality, and the more completely his arguments prevail. '

Thank you Stoic,

for this very pertinent observation and for the enchanting choice of music!

Date: January 28, 2011 10:33AM

Stoic
George Harrison said it was about the English winter which goes on forever, its such a relief when it stops:

"Here Comes the Sun" was written at the time when Apple was getting like school, where we had to go and be businessmen: 'Sign this' and 'sign that'. Anyway, it seems as if winter in England goes on forever, by the time spring comes you really deserve it. So one day I decided I was going to sag off Apple and I went over to Eric Clapton's house. The relief of not having to go see all those dopey accountants was wonderful, and I walked around the garden with one of Eric's acoustic guitars and wrote "Here Comes the Sun".

[www.youtube.com]

Hmmm. I'd always heard that this song was written in honor of Prabhupada.

[www.youtube.com]

OM

Date: January 28, 2011 05:20PM

'Hmmm. I'd always heard that this song was written in honor of Prabhupada.'

Its possible, as George Harrison financially supported the Krishnas for a long time. The ability to write sublime tunes doesn't seem to be affected by screwed-up thinking in supporting dubious cult-type movements.
I took the reference above about the English winter from a conversation reported in the 'The Beatles Anthology':

[en.wikipedia.org]

......take with a pinch of salt.

Whoever or whatever he wrote it for, regardless of his personal religious beliefs, which I think were genuinely felt--and acted upon:

'Glory to the light that dispels darkness,' whatever you choose to name that light.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 05:21PM by Stoic.

Date: January 28, 2011 06:03PM

Here's a really screwed-up lady stating an obvious and banal human truth, and doing it sublimely:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 06:08PM by Stoic.

Date: January 28, 2011 09:57PM

Malcolm, the pertinent quote is from 'Trauma and Recovery' by Judith Herman, which I just reposted from another thread after Zeuszor originally posted it there. I thought it deserved a second airing:

[forum.culteducation.com]

Date: January 29, 2011 01:07AM

....the end of the "communication" with the xjc site, as skeletal as it was,...will not help David at all....there is no-one now, for him to "reference" as normality....he can't genuinely confide in any of the cult members, as he really doesn't respect them (and of course can't admit as much!)

....I realize that the recovery of the other existing members, still trapped within the "mind-set", has to be the priority...

...but over enough time just finishing up, as another "Denise" will be a sad end for a man who once had the potential to really be someone....

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.