Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: IF PSYCHIC COULD BE A CULT ?
Posted by: Keir ()
Date: January 25, 2008 12:23PM

I believe certain charismatic psychics can create a form of "cult of personality" around themselves.

I can see how certain people can be dependent on fortunetellers (fearing something bad may happen to them if they dont listen to the advice ofthe fortune teller)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: March 21, 2008 05:44AM

rrmoderator
Whenever someone makes demands, for example money, based on supernatural claims that cannot be proven objectively, it's time to pause and think things through very carefully.

Firstly, I would add to what rrmoderator has stated. Check with your local (state/province) jurisdiction on this. In my state in the US, this sort of "cleansing of money" is recognized as a crime and is punishable with jail time...and yes, I have seen it happen on at least two occasions, so contact the police immediately and don't give these frauds your hard-earned money.

Secondly, to Tina5 who started this post, I hope your son is okay and am sorry to be posting so late. Have you had your son medically checked out for Schiziophrenia? At his age this could be a factor. While there is no current satisfactory treatment for this difficult disorder, there are promising modalities on the horizon. Good luck and good health.

Posted by: Peter Jones ()
Date: June 24, 2008 04:17PM

I notice that this line of enquiry has been going on in some time and is now virtually inactive. I am hoping someone can shed a little light on the situation and possibly give me ideas of what I can do about it.

Recently my retired mother, actually checking her telephone bills it has now been a few years, has fallen under what I can only describe the spell of a telephone psychic. In all other areas my mother is reasoning adult, she has a good and active social circle with no financial worries. I am rather concerned about her increased dependence on this 'psychic hotline'. The calls are not cheap and I have noticed when I saw her mobile telephone bill that she has been using her mobile telephone for this purpose as well.

My concern is that she seems to be spending more and more time on this psychic line, using it as she does to influence everything from the purchase of groceries to what colour hat she should wear. It would be amusing if it were not for the rather invasive manner and how it seems to be taking over her entire life.

Does anybody have any experience of this in the UK? I would also appreciate any reasoned arguments and suggestions.

Peter

Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: June 25, 2008 12:51AM

Peter Jones, is your mum of "sound mind" (with the exception of the dial-a-psychics)? I live in the USA and over here we can put "blocks" on phones from dialing certain numbers. If you are a guardian for your mum, as your sorting out her bills seems to indicate, you may be able to contact your UK telephone providers and legally block all your mum's phones from dialing the psychic hotlines. Good luck!

Posted by: tyciol ()
Date: July 25, 2008 07:49AM

The things you mentioned really have nothing at all to do with the random outbursts. To be honest, based upon those phrases I think he's just messing with you or trying to be a jerk, or having outbursts. It's almost like trolling IRL or something.

-Ty

Posted by: Keir ()
Date: August 20, 2008 08:35AM

Peter Jones

My concern is that she seems to be spending more and more time on this psychic line, using it as she does to influence everything from the purchase of groceries to what colour hat she should wear. It would be amusing if it were not for the rather invasive manner and how it seems to be taking over her entire life.

Does anybody have any experience of this in the UK? I would also appreciate any reasoned arguments and suggestions.

Peter
(if your still here)

I'm sure certain charismatic individuals could manipulate people on the phone (con artist tend to prey on senior cotizens with this sort of thing alot).
I'm sure a telephone psychic can inflame Fear into someone who believes "something bad will happen if you dont take my advice"..

Posted by: Missbee ()
Date: March 30, 2009 11:50PM

PS: i apologize for saying "obviously, it wasn't a cult." i have no idea. i have no idea if the situation i just left was a cult or not. All I know: the cult recovery resources have been extremely helpful. For some reason, your son's situation reminds me of my own. I hope things go well for both of you.

Posted by: SideOfBacon ()
Date: August 24, 2009 08:35PM

Psychics aren't a cult but they could certainly lead to one... or, better yet, they could cultivate a cult-ready mindset in more suggestible customers.

I know. I have a friend who owns a psychic tea room. I have to listen to so much nonsense. This psychic power stuff has jack squat to do with special abilities or extra sensory perception. It has to do with psychologically damaged people wanting to feel more in control of their lives by finding people in just as bad, if not worse, condition than they, and controlling them. Nothing they say is specific. And even if they get something right every now and then, it pales by comparison with the grander scale where they get even more wrong.

These people should not be argued with, or humiliated. Like sociopaths, you should just turn and walk away from them without explanation if they try to work their bs on you.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.