Why People Are Attracted to Narcissists
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: June 21, 2020 04:42AM

A more likely explanation is that narcissists are expert manipulators of the signals associated with self-esteem. Self-esteem is a socially valuable trait, and other studies have also found that people are viewed more positively when they are perceived as having higher levels of self-esteem. It's likely that those scoring high in narcissism are very aware of this fact, and strategically present themselves in ways that convey high self-esteem.

There is also likely an interaction between the perceiver and the narcissist. It takes two to tango. Because those scoring higher in narcissism do tend to be more popular and have larger social networks than those scoring lower in narcissism, people may have the drive to associate with them to attain status by association. After all, to have narcissistic needs is to be human, and narcissists are very good at drawing in vulnerable people who are particularly deficient in their esteem needs.

With that said, some people may be more likely than others to perceive narcissists more positively not because they are vulnerable, but because they have their own extremely high drive for social status and power, and think the narcissist can help them reach their goals. It would be interesting for future studies to look at the narcissism levels of the perceiver.

While narcissists can be so alluring at first, the attraction is likely to falter once people begin to recognize the narcissists' less desirable qualities and the superficial nature of the connection. Indeed, narcissists live in the "emerging zone", situations involving unacquainted individuals, early-stage relationships, and short-term contexts. It is in this zone that narcissists are more likely to be perceived positively, because they are motivated to make a good first impression.

In contrast, narcissists tend to crash and burn in the "enduring zone", situations involving acquainted individuals, continuing relationships, and long-term consequences. As the relationship develops, narcissists start displaying behaviors that are evaluated negatively, such as arrogance and aggression. Narcissists cyclically return to the emerging zone because they are addicted to the positive social feedback and emotional rush they get from the emerging zone. As a result, they are good at being popular, making new friends, and acquiring social status, but often have great difficulties sustaining meaningful and intimate relationships.

For the rest of the article, go here:

Why Do People Mistake Narcissism for High Self-Esteem?
Why people form such positive first impressions of narcissists.

[getpocket.com]

That narcisstic people do worse in long term relationships and prefer to
return to the emergening zone may explain why cult leaders are so driven to
recruit new members to their group.

Implications

There are obvious implications here for dating and politics. In the realm of dating, often the most valuable dating partners will not announce themselves with flashy attire and a perfectly orchestrated smile. In fact, it's quite the opposite: those with a healthy self-esteem usually don't feel the incessant need to announce their greatest qualities upfront, because they are confident that all will be revealed in time (they have a stable sense of worth).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2020 04:43AM by corboy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why People Are Attracted to Narcissists
Posted by: Victimofcult1996 ()
Date: October 22, 2020 10:20PM

I currently am trying to get away from a cult narcissist. He constantly has to tell me that I'm wrong and that the reason I have any trouble in my life is because I dont follow the crackpot Lightning Amen! Its not easy to leave. Financial situation causes me to have to stay in toxic situation.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.