Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New to the forum
Posted by: ataloss ()
Date: June 10, 2004 11:04PM

I just left a cult two months ago and I am doing so much better as far as getting away from the mind control, but I am at a loss as far as interacting with the world around me. I was with the Move Organization for eight years and they go so much further then religous ideology, which they have a mountain of. They also prey upon political activists who tend to be VERY open to new experiences and fighting for the oppressed. So when people come across Move they feel really bad for all that they've been through (they had a bomb dropped on their house in 1985, killing 6 adults and 5 children when they had a stand off with police. It is numbing to see the similarities between how that went down and Waco). Move uses this to convince people of this kind of apocalypse that is going to take down everyone in the world, but them. They believe that no one has any answers, but their leader John Africa and that everyone who is not in Move is evil.
The crazy part is that they have such an intense manipulation that you just hand yourself over and go "ok, if you say so." And you literally just do what they ask. I have been in front of people's houses with a bullhorn screaming about how horrible these people are and I would say things that I had no idea if they were true or not. I was just repeating what I was told to say and which points were the main ones to harp on. I was even instructed on the proper attire to wear to make whatever point we wanted to make that time (be it street clothes, real tough revolutionary look, or dressed up to the point that they hardly recognized me). I would fake being a reporter in order to ask their enemies questions to relay back to them and I would write propaganda pieces with no real thought of my own. I was told exactly what to say each time. I love writing, but I began to hate it and get nothing from it because I didn't feel like I was writing anymore.
Now there is an internet campaign against me and my husband branding us as being racist and evil government agents out to destroy the revolution. And, although most people don't buy into Move's brand of hooey, a lot of them are buttressing these claims and making it seem as though someone saying that Move is dangerous are evil and trying to hurt black people.
A lot of the time I feel a great relief for the things they say because they prove to me that I made the right choice in leaving. Yet, othertimes, I feel so upset and frustrated that so many people could be manipulated so terribly and I feel helpless to do anything for them. I care a lot for many of those in there, even the ones who spewed some of this hate upon me, but I can't express that to them very much because they use it to start trying to pull me back in.
Now I don't know what to do with the hours of my day. I have a 2 yr old and I care for her. She does bring me great joy, but I have spent the last 8 years in absolutism and am horrified of what she will go through and what direction to guide her to. I know that Move is crazy and I do not wish that life for her in any form or fashon, but I also don't believe in just living my life through work, paying bills, watching tv and movies, and going to sleep. There is more to life then the grind. I guess, right now, I'm more concerned about what aim my life should have so that she can have direction and confidence.
I guess I'll just start there.

Options: ReplyQuote
New to the forum
Posted by: randomfactor ()
Date: June 12, 2004 02:32AM

Dear Ataloss:

You wrote:

"Now there is an internet campaign against me and my husband branding us as being racist and evil government agents out to destroy the revolution."

I was very shocked after I left a religious (and intensly political) cult to find myself branded a bigot, a child abuser and sexual deviant, mentally ill and a lot of other terrible things.

I think a part of cultism that is really not well understood is how ex-members are harassed and attacked, both through rumor and sometimes physically. My reputation was totally destroyed by this group.

I'm glad you're out of it. I just wanted to let you know others have found themselves in the same place.

Rand

New to the forum
Posted by: ataloss ()
Date: June 15, 2004 10:36PM

I was fortunate in that I left with my husband and daughter. I didn't leave with absolutely no one I knew to speak to, but I do feel as though the stress of leaving is making me upset a lot. I have no desire to go back. I just have a lot of anger and resentment right now for being used the way I was and the things that were said about me.
I have been an advocate for social justice issues, the environment, animal rights, etc for over a decade and their aim now is to alienate me so that I can't do any good for these causes because people think that I will try to infiltrate their group and destroy it.
In reality, I do think that I can only really benefit from such things because the people who are still willing to work with me won't be the paranoid types who would listen to Move. It will force me to stop working with people who are drawn to these types and have to seek out balanced people who really are about the cause and not subversion.

New to the forum
Posted by: Waysplusmeans ()
Date: August 31, 2005 05:21AM

Can you give advice on how you handled the harassment after leaving the cult you were in?

Thank you

randomfactor
Dear Ataloss:

You wrote:

"Now there is an internet campaign against me and my husband branding us as being racist and evil government agents out to destroy the revolution."

I was very shocked after I left a religious (and intensly political) cult to find myself branded a bigot, a child abuser and sexual deviant, mentally ill and a lot of other terrible things.

[b:fb0e0b21f4]I think a part of cultism that is really not well understood is how ex-members are harassed and attacked, both through rumor and sometimes physically. My reputation was totally destroyed by this group. [/b:fb0e0b21f4]

I'm glad you're out of it. I just wanted to let you know others have found themselves in the same place.

Rand

New to the forum
Posted by: Lady Pleiades ()
Date: September 01, 2005 02:19AM

I also relate to your situation and, luckily, was able to move to another state, but knowing that some of my old friends probably believed the slander. To recover, I found several things that helped: filing legal complaints, having professionals tell me again and again that what the cult did was crazy and harmful, and finally the good feelings I get from knowing that I KNEW it was wacky which is why I left. I knew it would be hard to leave for all the reasons that are happening now. I have been out for several years. It gets better, but it does take time. Be gentle with yourself. I found that the institutions that are the least dogmatic are of some comfort to me. Books about grief and loss, too.

New to the forum
Date: September 01, 2005 01:45PM

Lady Pleiades
I also relate to your situation and, luckily, was able to move to another state, but knowing that some of my old friends probably believed the slander. To recover, I found several things that helped: filing legal complaints, having professionals tell me again and again that what the cult did was crazy and harmful, and finally the good feelings I get from knowing that I KNEW it was wacky which is why I left. I knew it would be hard to leave for all the reasons that are happening now. I have been out for several years. It gets better, but it does take time. Be gentle with yourself. I found that the institutions that are the least dogmatic are of some comfort to me. Books about grief and loss, too.

Lady Pleiades
I also relate to your situation and, luckily, was able to move to another state, but knowing that some of my old friends probably believed the slander.

Thank you for sharing.

One thing i've acquired is an intune keen ear for the kind language and insinuations used in my former cult experiences among the members.

I moved to another state for several reasons unrelated to the cult. I will not move again.

As for the delibrate malicious lies and slander doesn't impact me too greatly because i now understand in cults there are no true friendships. And my true friends and family are not in the cult and my personal life doesn't reflect the lies and slander. As you know the slander is to blind the remaining members to the truth and evoke fear for control not so much about the singled out member.

Lady Pleiades
To recover, I found several things that helped: filing legal complaints, having professionals tell me again and again that what the cult did was crazy and harmful, [b:67fcc14fb0]and finally the good feelings I get from knowing that I KNEW it was wacky which is why I left. I knew it would be hard to leave for all the reasons that are happening now.[/b:67fcc14fb0]

Interesting...

In my case, I suffered the stalking infatuations of several men who developed dangerous obsessions with me to the point of making me into a martyr and labeling me 'Hagar' and 'Mary' in the bible to justify their illegal and unethical conduct toward me. I never truely had positive experiences within the cult because all the years spent inside the cult was dedicated to making me accustomed to abuse, subjecting me to dangerous promoted envy and jealousy, and trying to brainwash me by the abusers who were obsessed over the fact my self autonomous state which was termed as "arrogance" it was too strong for their ususal methods that has successfully worked for 75 years, yet needed and wanted my innate gifts to further their program. The harder i fought the more abusive and evil the methods to brainwash me became.

My abusive experiences is all about control and nothing else. I could never get away from the men in the cult or escape the promoted vicious envy and jealousy among the women.

It has always amazed me that sincere people committed to the mission work are lied to and abused. What is the purpose for using mind control in claiming it is needed to get people to do the work when most come naturally and sincerely already committed to doing the work?

Lady Pleiades
I have been out for several years. It gets better, but it does take time. Be gentle with yourself. I found that the institutions that are the least dogmatic are of some comfort to me. [b:67fcc14fb0]Books about grief and loss, too.[/b:67fcc14fb0]

Interesting that you would describe your experiences as a lost.

In my case, there is no love lost. I was enthralled in the schemes of higher ups who never had my best interest at heart and used me for selfish purposes. I know the torment and depth of misery in the lives of my abusers. It is their lost not mine.

To the demise of many I am healthy and very happy beyond the cult and not one day since leaving have I lived in grief over not being involved with the cult.

It was my curiosity and desire to learn and understand that took me back into their midst via the internet as I sought deep study concerning the insanity and corruption justified as methods and logic within the cult handling of innocent persons some of whom have killed themselves over their experiences within the group. I needed to understand the history and science used for my own recovery and to help others in the future.

I do not wish to fight the organization. My only wish is to help those in simialr situations regardless of the group in the future to recover successfully as many do not heal. I am one of the lucky ones. I also want it understood that I want absolutely nothing to do with its doctrine or members. These people have exceeed the limits. I innocently fell into the cluthes of a more fundalmentalist offshoot group in the doctrine via the internet, people I do not know, who violated several criminal laws in devising a plan to lure me off the website into physical attendance into their group who have threatened me and speak of using intimidation in further pursuing me against my wishes.

I want it understood that using the 75 year old history to keep tabs on me in the future will not be tolerated. I want it adhered to and understood that I will not be returning or believe in their doctrine. Seeking law enforcement is within in the right of anyone facing a group with a documented record spaning 75 years of using intimidation to force persons into membership.

I made the mistake of falling into the "stockholm syndrome" in believing my former abusers were not as bad as the current ones who proselytize
on the internet and believed the slogans about change only to realize I was being violated the same way as before only with different faces and names who joined forces with former abusers who made plans and battled over what group I would be made to join behind my back without my knowledge or permission.

Your suggestion that a less dogmatic group is questionable as cult members have a tendancy to believe that everyone needs to be involved in some kind of religious group. It is as if cult members encourage and believe in institutionalizing persons and gives a partial explanation why some members tend to float from one to group to another within the same doctrine; because you are taught that you are nothing without the doctrine.

It is also another way to keep tabs on former members as leaders from various offshoots of the doctrine share information about members so yu never really get away from the reputation intentionally made for you as no one is allowed to remain "Green" there is a need to throw dirt on you in order to control you and tie you to scripture in keeping you caught up in a maze forever fighting lies and proving yourself trustworthy, and sincere as malicious gossip and slander is encouraged to keep victims confused and exposed to verbal and emotional abuse, a tactic to promote false humility as most members unaware of the psychological assault, which is a training method to make members see abuse as normal and a part of the spiritual experiences needed to see the hearafter, those unware eventually breakdown and conform to the cult wishes as you tire over fighting the never ending intentional slander and lies in hope of proving yourselves innocent.

Personally, my perspective on religion (way of life) has changed forever.

Thank you for an eye opening exchange. :D

New to the forum
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: September 01, 2005 07:12PM

If you suspect anything criminal you should contact the police.

Stalking is against the law.

You might also contact a lawyer to advise you.

Groups that harass people typically give up and/or quickly lose interest when dealt with in this way.

For recovery resources see [www.culteducation.com]

I suggest you move on with your life and cut off any contact no matter how remote with the group, especially if you think they are potentially unsafe.

New to the forum
Date: September 01, 2005 07:27PM

rrmoderator
If you suspect anything criminal you should contact the police.

Stalking is against the law.

You might also contact a lawyer to advise you.

Groups that harass people typically give up and/or quickly lose interest when dealt with in this way.

For recovery resources see [www.culteducation.com]

I suggest you move on with your life and cut off any contact no matter how remote with the group, especially if you think they are potentially unsafe.

Thank you. I have cut off all contact and made several criminal complaints for my protection.

Thank you for providing this message board. I've been looking for such an outlet and resource for 3 years now.

New to the forum
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: September 01, 2005 07:53PM

What specifically did the autorities regarding your complaints? What specific action was taken?

The next step would be to contact professional counseling resources and get on with your recovery.

Posting on this board is not a substitute for professional counseling.

See the Recovery link and look through that section.

If you are not sure what is available in your immediate area consult a doctor, social services and/or local counseling center.

New to the forum
Posted by: Lady Pleiades ()
Date: September 01, 2005 10:47PM

Your suggestion that a less dogmatic group is questionable as cult members have a tendancy to believe that everyone needs to be involved in some kind of religious group. It is as if cult members encourage and believe in institutionalizing

As I didn't have that much time to write a detailed response, I knew this comment would probably generate controversy. I don't know if we can be completely free from institutions. Society itself is an institution and, barring living in a mountain cave or Howard Hughes type seclusion, I don't know if we can be completely free from it. That is a philosophical discussion.

I am an alcoholic and I was a member of AA before I ever joined the cult. I know some would argue, pretty strongly, that AA is a cult. However, what I have learned is that not all institutions are bad. I can participate in AA to the extent that I feel comfortable and I have the right to stay and go as I please. There are religious people doing wonderful work all the time. And, like you say, they generally don't need to use coercive methods to attract people or make them stay. After my experience with psychotherapy, I could make a strong case that all psychotherapy is mind control, thus bad. But I received some excellent help (albeit short-term) from some very excellent practitioners: a psychologist, a social worker, a psychiatrist.

My big ephiphany around my cult experience is this: There are good practitioners and bad practitioners in every field. There are good doctors and bad doctors. There are good teachers and bad teachers. Good plumbers and bad plumbers. You can choose to be ethical in whatever work you do.[/quote]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.