Prevalence of OCD within Cult and Healing Communities
Posted by: facet ()
Date: December 06, 2020 01:59AM

Apologies in advance if the article offends anyone, which I can assure is not intentional.

OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) is an awful affliction, one that I had frequently come across in healing and soft cult communities.

The rigid ritual, rules, and beliefs engaged by groups are attractive and I can understand why cult and healing groups feel like a good fit for anyone suffering, as it allows the sufferer to play out their behaviours and reinforce them, along with ritual, in a place where it is considered entirely usual.

OCD worsens when behaviours and rituals are kept up, and serve only to support the rigid mindset held. This is the outlook held by professionals working in the field of ocd sufferers.

One especially harmful area to consider is when the phrase ‘thoughts create reality’ is used as a method of (albeit false) power.

OCD symptoms include distressing thoughts and rumination that they are often unable to move beyond, teamed with the belief that those thoughts would transpire in reality.. in many cases then followed by a ritual or other behaviour that would cancel the thoughts “materialisation”, a fictional relief to a fictional thought that perpetuates distressing, repetitive behaviours.

Cults and healing settings do not benefit sufferers of OCD, creating a large Avenue for manipulation of this incredibly vulnerable section of society.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2020 02:02AM by facet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Prevalence of OCD within Cult and Healing Communities
Posted by: mesche ()
Date: June 15, 2021 05:00PM

OCPD too. I have met many who had Obsessive Compusive Personality Disorder.

Posted by: not moses ()
Date: June 20, 2021 06:37AM

Agreeing with mesche, I have encountered far more exitors with OCPD than with OCD. See Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or Obsessive Compulsive *Personality* Disorder?

Date: June 23, 2021 12:42AM

Thanks both, I’ll take a look and learn more.

Date: June 23, 2021 03:34AM

This aspect in particular of ocd p stands out, there is a culture amongst those who feel very challenged by views about something opposite to their own where people are told that they are doing a practice incorrectly, in particular I have in mind meditation... which would then tie in looping with the problem of straying away from a rigidly held belief causes dissonance. Rigidity is perhaps the self defence against the discomfort of dissonance?

“Only their perception and method is correct”.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

I can now notice a distinction between the two with two different experiential examples that I’ve had in the past.. which is down to the pointer shared by you both, thank you :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.