Recovery -- Discovering We Are Not Alone
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: June 24, 2020 12:56AM

Sara Hart, a 38-year-old former Mormon who lost her faith seven years ago, brought along cupcakes decorated with fondant Prozac pills as a reference to the high rate of antidepressant use in Utah, the state with the highest percentage of Mormons. "I was like super depressed, too, when my marriage was falling apart because I got married way too young, for the wrong reasons," she explained. "And I’m not gonna shut up. I’m gonna make fun of it."

She also came equipped with a Bible, a Mormon hymnbook, and some tithing slips, which she threw into the fire pit towards the end of the afternoon.

"I like to make fun of things," she said. "Because if you can laugh at something, it has no power over you."

I Went to a Beach Party for Former Scientologists, Mormons, and Hasidic Jews
It turns out they have a lot in common with each other.

[www.vice.com]

when I started to talk with the girls that I grew up with in my church youth group, and tell them what I was experiencing, that was a big ah-ha moment, because they were telling me about what they were thinking and feeling at the time, which mirrored my experiences. And those stories made me realize that I wasn’t alone. Not only realize that I wasn’t alone, but realize that it wasn’t my fault what I was experiencing—it wasn’t my sin, or my psychosis.

It was something that I’d been taught that was causing my anxiety.

Growing Up Evangelical Ruined Sex for Me
In her new memoir, Linda Kay Klein writes about escaping Evangelical purity culture, and its lasting influence on her life as an adult.

[www.vice.com]

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.