Treating Cultism as a Behavioral Addiction
Posted by: not moses ()
Date: December 07, 2018 04:28AM

Treating Cultism as an Addiction, an exploration of a possible new conceptual and treatment paradigm for mental health professionals engaged with cult members and exiters. Informed commentary and suggestions are welcomed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2018 04:30AM by not moses.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Treating Cultism as a Behavioral Addiction
Posted by: allalong ()
Date: December 21, 2019 01:34AM

I had "soft addictions", or whatever the term is, more like negative coping mechanisms. Not drugs or alcohol, but another 12step subject. But I got involved in two "soft cults" and yes I absolutely agree that any sort of involvement in a cultish group should be seen by a mental health professional as a behavioral addiction. I was using it to treat my anxiety and depression. I thought they were making me happy but they weren't. At this point two therapists completely missed my obsession with the groups. Or maybe they saw it but didn't say or do anything. Only one caught it but didn't really do anything about it other than worry I was trying to convert her (which confused me, because I wasn't. I wasn't merely talking about it because I was obsessed with it at the time since I thought it was helping my depression and anxiety).

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.