Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Left Cult and put on Anti-Psychotic Drugs is this normal?
Date: November 09, 2006 10:10PM

While Dr. Burns may have some helpful information in his books, please be cautious about accepting all of his claims without getting further evidence. Please see the link below.

[www.mentalhealth.com]

I personally did not find his book "Feeling Good" all that helpful, though it does contain some useful ideas.

QE

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tanaats ()
Date: November 10, 2006 04:10AM

I personally found "Feeling Good" to be helpful, but obviously Dr. Burns has gone off the deep end. Thanks for the link.

Posted by: jmm ()
Date: November 17, 2006 04:46PM

I also found this site from putting BPI into a search engine. I was a student at BPI years and years ago, so its been a long time since I had any involvement with them. I enjoyed my time at BPI, but then I also had goals and a vibrant life and friends beyond the institute. I saw a few lost souls become students, former moonies etc, and I think it was difficult for them for many reasons. Intense searching, with little grounding, someone who might be mentally ill to some degree, can wing out on energy and go more adrift. I don't agree with the use of drugs, perscribed or otherwise, tho sometimes I guess there is little else that is known to "help" quickly. I can say I never saw anyone intentionally hurt or "crack". And I cant imagine there would be any fall out from her leaving BPI, except maybe not upholding a commitment to a class or program. But even then, I seriously doubt any problems. From what you have written I think your sister had some mental problems to begin with, that have not done well in the atmosephere of BPI. They are not doctors and expect everyone to gain and own a sense of personal responcibility. You are right to be concerned about your sis, don't just take any doctors advice, really look around, and drugs without good counseling is crap. You wrote this back in Feb. so I hope things have worked out for you both since then. All the best, jmm

Posted by: Joe K ()
Date: November 18, 2006 01:35AM

jmm
From what you have written I think your sister had some mental problems to begin with, that have not done well in the atmosephere of BPI.

You have no evidence for that position, and I think that you are on dangerous ground here. Cults often use a "blame the victim" approach regarding those who are damaged by their cult involvement.

Posted by: jmm ()
Date: November 18, 2006 01:08PM

Joe K
jmm
From what you have written I think your sister had some mental problems to begin with, that have not done well in the atmosephere of BPI.

You have no evidence for that position, and I think that you are on dangerous ground here. Cults often use a "blame the victim" approach regarding those who are damaged by their cult involvement.
If you read the original entry in Feb. the person mentioned the sisters depression prior to BPI. I think what can be helpful to one person can sometimes be neutral or even harmful to another. I am not suggesting blame to anyone, including BPI. Yes you are correct about the evidence, I have none, this is all hearsay. I just hope that the sister got the help she needed. I found the things I learned at BPI, overall helpful in my life. I would rather inform myself and make my own choices, about education, doctors, food... and based on what I learn, choose for myself what is best for me.

Posted by: sametanner ()
Date: November 26, 2006 11:38AM

Dear Josie6, I am new here, just started posting today. I have been involved with a cult, Landmark's (EST) forum, and the Mormon church - totalling about 22yrs. I am currently diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and major depression. The usual meds did not work for me, but we eventually found thru trial and error something that did. The advice given to you by Toni and Concerned Oz is dead on. After doing much reading, 10 books so far, I found that it is not uncommon for exited cult members to be diagnosed with a variety of psychological disorders. The problem is that the trauma of having been in a cult and leaving it can produce symtoms which mimic those disorders, resulting in misdiagnoses. What I probably have is depression mixed with PTSD (result of a "wonderful" childhood) as the meds that work for me are for anxiety and depression, not bi-polar syndrome. Please continue to listen to the advice given you by these people and the moderator, it is sound and caring. If you have been able to contact a pysch. professional in Oz with cult member experience or training, get them in touch with your sister's M.D. to help with correct diagnosis and meds. My meds are a stopgap, but they keep me functional and improving. My best to you.

Posted by: sametanner ()
Date: November 26, 2006 11:42AM

For what it's worth, where cults or similar organizations (BPI) are concerned, counseling has to go hand in hand with medication. If you're lucky, you may not need the "help" of medications, but get the counseling - someone who has cult exit training or experience.

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: November 27, 2006 07:52AM

I agree that one must carefully test all information coming their way. But the link below is really coming from the "Therapy Wars" agenda.
First off, its from 1996.
Next, psychoanalytic therapists and psychiatrists have taken to distorting Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to a form of high-art.

Dr. Wong appears to be deliberately distorting what Burns has said. CBT does have a quick "30 sec diagnosis" and that is based on a simply question survey, but its nothing miraculous. He is also taking other things out of context. There are no miracle cures in CBT.

Dr. Aaron Beck, one of the founders of CBT has written extensively about this type of "straw man" attacks on CBT.

I see no evidence that Dr. Burns has "lost it", and his most recent book is quite balanced, and makes some excellent points regarding "active" versus "passive" placebos.

Just keep in mind, that within therapy, there are The Therapy Wars, where different professionals from different schools attack eachother, and make claims that completely contradict eachother.
So unfortunately, regular folks have to sort their way through this mine field on their own somehow.
Hopefully, over the years, proper scientific studies will sort some of this out.
Personally, I find the general psychiatric "psychoanalytic" therapy to be outdated and not tested properly.

Whereas CBT has mountains of evidence supporting the claims it is making. Dr. Burns is but one of many people working in CBT, and they generally support their claims with evidence.
Be cautious of these types of second-hand Straw Man attacks, which are mainly ideological in nature.

QuestionEverything
While Dr. Burns may have some helpful information in his books, please be cautious about accepting all of his claims without getting further evidence. Please see the link below.

[www.mentalhealth.com]

I personally did not find his book "Feeling Good" all that helpful, though it does contain some useful ideas.

QE

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.