Philadelphians? Sabbath Keeping?
Posted by: FruFru ()
Date: October 13, 2010 06:28AM

Hello well honestly I feel a little awkward. I've never posted in a forum before but I've seriously been seeking advice about this because I can't seem to find anyone else who knows what I'm talking about or has gone through this.

I'm 16 years old and was raised completely catholic. My dad was a strong believeing catholic man and I went to a catholic private school from first to eighth grade. My family, not including my mother who is nondenominational, went to church every Sunday, like most of my relatives and school mates. I am a junior in high school now, and two years ago when I started high school, I started going to a public school where religion wouldn't be forced on me. I love God, do not get me wrong. But everything I had ever learned in life was Catholic teaching and what my dad had taught me. In literally one week, my dad took a complete 360 change in character and everything he ever believed in was completely thrown out. He had been reading "The Trumpet" online and then started to seriously consider teachings of "The Sabbath" and things like that. Then shortly after, he started meeting with a group (my mom refers to as a cult. I don't know enough to say whether they are or not) called "The philadelphians" has ANYONE ever heard of this group? I can't seem to find info on it, but I have found stories of people who have the same beliefs as my dad and this group.
My family life has completely been destroyed and my father has thrown out every holiday. We are forbidden to celebrate anything but Thanksgiving. This year will be my third year without christmas, and honestly last year was the most depressing year of my life. It completely beat when my brother passed away.
My younger brothers are 7 and 9 years old and are having their childhoods completely taken away from them with everything my dad preaches.

My dad is a strong believer that Saturday is the Sabbath, and we are forbidden to go to Sunday mass and attend anything Catholic. My brothers woke up last christmas morning crying and asking my mom where the tree was.

My dad also believes that the end of the world is near. like in my life time. Almost every week on the way to school I hear a lecture about "The Atribulation" and frankly it scares me. A lot.

My parents relationship has obviously gone extremely downhill because of his new beliefs. He has threatened her a few times if she were to ever bring a christmas tree into the house, has yelled violently at her for picking fruit off of our tree on a Saturday, and will not let her shop on Saturdays, or much of anything really. I hear them constantly yelling, threatening to leave the other.

Lately, my mom has been talking to me about family councelling and possibly a divorce if this continues. Honestly...I don't know if I mind that now though...

a little background on my dad that may help a bit- my dad's mom (my grandmother) is mentally ill and in a mental institute. Before now, my dad hasn't shown any signs of being like her and I'm unsure if things like that are hereditary or not. I really don't want to believe that my dad is crazy but sometimes we do think that. My mom thought of having him committed a few times but I mean if he isn't that would cause quite some drama that we don't really need right now.

Of course this is all the story in a nutshell because I can't really explain two years worth of family problems in one post. I just mainly wanted to know if anyone knows about something like this and "Sabbath keeping" or "the philadelphians"

Please and thank you,
with love,
Fru

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Philadelphians? Sabbath Keeping?
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: October 13, 2010 06:44AM

FruFru:

I am sorry, but the rules of this message board prohibit participation by any minor child.

You are not old enough to participate here.

See [forum.culteducation.com]

This is a matter for you to discuss with your family and/or a professional counselor as designated by your parents.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.