Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: April 28, 2012 05:43AM

The chant, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, is a pretty straightforward, rhythmical chant--if you are going to chant something, you can't beat this one, to my thinking, for a great flow and yes, addictive at times and hypnotic. The hypnotic aspect has been talked about here as being condusive to an more receptive response, in relation to cult thinking.

I can see that. But I still chant, because the groove is just great. That's just my personal feeling.

Like redrose said, she kept it in perspective.

Actually, the celebrities involved with SGI have always seemed more on the low-key spectrum, as opposed to Tom Cruise and Scientology.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: redrose ()
Date: April 28, 2012 06:22AM

Agree - the chanting is great.

Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI, Orlando Bloom is SGI bait
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: April 29, 2012 06:46AM

Every cult uses celebrities as bait for new members. Its called Social Proof.
And celebrities are EASY targets for most cultic recruiters, as cultic recruiters are experts, and many celebs have no clue of what is going on.
Some celebs are not very smart, and its easy to believe Chanting brings everyday miracles, when you have 10 million in the bank a 3 personal assistants.
For every Orlando Bloom, there are 10,000 broke actors Chanting and eating government cheese.
Its just propaganda.

Celebs always get special treatment, even when they pretend they don't. Like with Scientology, they get lots of free stuff, as they are used as marketing.
It works, some people say, Celebrity X is successfull and they are into Scientology or SGI, so I better join too.

There is no such thing as taking criticism of SGI too far when based on facts.
SGI is a grotesque organization on the top. Sure, as this thread has shown, folks at the bottom local level can have NO IDEA of what is really going on. they are too busy chanting it seems, to do some basic research.

Those who have had contact with Ikeda called him a money-sucking vampire, which is very accurate.
SGI has conned countless desperate people to EMPTY their bank accounts and hand it over to Ikeda, in a hopeless wish for a miracle.
SGI is a terrible organization, from the top down. Its less terrible at the bottom, as local people just chanting at their friends house are the victims too.

Any type of soft-peddling these massive, global, terrible cultish organizations is not helpful.
They wreck people's lives, they bankrupt people.

And Orlando Bloom is part of the scam, for being part of the propaganda. Until he can answer about where the SGI money is going, then Bloom is no better than any of them.
And Orlando Bloom will not answer those questions, and cannot, as SGI hides all its money, only Ikeda and a few others know where it is. SGI is a private family fortune.

Who knows, Bloom could be sending SGI $10,000 a month, and getting scammed himself. He probably does believe chanting brings everyday miracles, as that is easy to believe when you are rich, famous and good looking! Breathing brings everyday miracles if you are rich, famous and good looking.
So forget SGI chanting, and instead try being rich, famous and good-looking!

SGI is the perfect New Age fake religion for narcissists. SGI says Greed is Good, and that anyone who is not rich, famous, and good-looking has done it to themselves, by not chanting SGI long and hard enough. Chant harder!

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: April 29, 2012 06:47AM

The chanting is bait.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 29, 2012 10:51PM

I went to my local HMO to get some lab tests done.

Someone had placed a SG chant card in with a poster in a frame in the elevator. I could not locate how to remove the thing.

Very scummy to leave this shit around at hospitals and clinics. Especially, as The Anticult noted, the chanting is bait.

Posted by: Tibbs ()
Date: April 29, 2012 10:53PM

The SGI brilliantly summed up by Anticult. Thank you.

Posted by: anticult-india ()
Date: April 30, 2012 12:52AM

I have been into Soka Gakkai, India for last two years and during this period I have had chance to attend meetings at 3 different places within my city due to transfers of my job and movement to another house in different part of the city. My overall experience in the practice is that of disillusionment and deception, though I am still into practice and chanting. Like most average Indians, I too had a very basic knowledge of Buddha and his philosophy and didn't know the core teachings of Buddhism. I joined this practice when I saw some people attending meetings and chanting and I got motivated because I wanted to be associated to Buddhism in some manners.

I began chanting and studying the various reading material I was supplied. The chanting made me feel good and I felt more positive and energetic most of the time . However, my idea behind embracing was that of attaining some spiritual goals, nothing much higher but just some sort of tranquillity and emptiness which people are said to have gained through meditation. I was surprised to see that my idea of having a meditation session was bitterly turned down in a meeting and I was ridiculed for thinking about something which takes anyone nowhere.

Nevertheless, I continued my practice with diligence and sincerity. Little by little, I became suspicious of the objectives of these meetings and practice sessions where the members had no say and were expected to follow and think along the line of the leaders. I was also upset with constant requests for attending meetings and chanting sittings. It was something which I was not able to turn down despite being busy with my late hour jobs and family needs.

The unnecessary criticism of SGI towards other buddhist sects especially that of Nichiren priests is something which can be avoided in meetings. Most of the newer members are not aware of the split of SGI but they are always told how bad priests were.

It's a common wisdom that most people join any spiritual practice for spiritual development and peace of mind. I also came to this practice with these objectives but I found that almost all members were greedy and full of materialistic attitude. They chant for bigger houses, promotions, cars, rich grooms/brides etc. Previously I was in an upscale area of New Delhi called Vasant Vihar where I found almost all members were affluent and had big bungalows and nice cars. I was impressed to see it that they credited their practice for their wealth and prosperity. I also began to believe that chanting for more money and fanciful things really works and began chanting for better things in my life. With close observation I found that life goes on a natural course and everyone goes through a process of ups and downs. Things happen on a neutral plane and there's no supernatural power to influence one's promotions and prosperity. This I came to believe when I moved to another part of the city where most of the practitioners were from lower middle class of the society. They lived in shabby ranted apartments and found it hard to live in their current earnings. They were also into practice for many-many years but their situation didn't seem to improve. They were always chanting for better opportunities in jobs and bigger houses. During the stupid experience sharing sessions it was funny to see them always stating how persistently they were chanting for such things but surprisingly no one ever pointed it out that their chanting was not taking them anywhere.

I find that the comment has become rather long for me therefore I'll write more in my further comments. I do not mean to say that I hate Soka Gakkai or that it's a disruptive cult but it's true that it does not have much to do with Buddha and his teachings. Before and after joining SGI I always made fun of seemingly stupid rituals and practices which my wife observed being a devout Hindu lady but now I think I was wrong. I am also trapped in something which is thoroughly worldly affair and has no spiritual connection. It's not capable of bringing any value creation, human revolution and it's kosen-rufu is just a dream and nothing more.

Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: April 30, 2012 03:28AM

anticult-india, very enlightening post from you! Thank you for sharing your experience so far with SGI-India. It's the same, worldwide. People are people, regardless of the culture. They see the Happiness/Prosperity carrot dangling, and will do what it takes to get a major bite.

There is no real answer that SGI can give, other than the Frame that it is one's karma that they are poor and struggling continually---you made the cause with the practice, and of course, financial contributions, so no worries! Your next life will reap the harvest....

And people who are enjoying the prosperity in this life---whoohoo!

A red flag I could not ignore was the push to have members allow auto-deductions from their bank accounts monthly to the SGI. This started in the last two years or so. This method has been HIGHLY encouraged.

Ikeda cannot take the money with him when he passes on. All this money!!!! And for what? For what......

Posted by: anticult-india ()
Date: April 30, 2012 10:19AM

You are right, Shavoy.

India is very different to western countries like USA or Canada. Here, people live much more closely and have bigger families and the society is also close-knit. We don't have heavy privacy issues here. It's very easy here to form groups and have communication with strangers. For us, a meeting like SGI turns more into social gathering and freedom from anxieties of home and work. India is very huge and extremely populated also. It contributes to the phenomenal growth of SGI. Indians are very easily attracted to money-making schemes and art-of-living initiatives. They are ready to invest their money and time for issues they think will give them higher returns. SGI has purchased big farm houses in India and organizes large events. People are encouraged to donate money so that this adds to the store of good karmas. However, people here are not aware how involved SGI is into Japan's politics. All they know is that SGI and Ikeda donate large amounts of money to the good causes for bringing in koesn-rufu. Between all these things, it's the real Dharma that suffers the most.

Posted by: Spartacus ()
Date: April 30, 2012 08:25PM

Hello to Everyone,

After having lurked around here for the last week or so, I just finished reading all 393 pages of posts. Before making my own first post, which I am very excited about doing, I wanted to first read every post thats been made here. In doing so, my mind was completely flooded with so many memories that came rushing back fast as a mountain river. I found reading through all the posts quite mesmerizing, almost to the point of being addictive. It's amazing just how much we share in common here on the board, and I have been anxiously waiting for the opportunity to join in while going through the process of finishing all of your fine postings. I find it somewhat auspicious that I finally finished the review process of all the postings, applied for my member verification process, and began to pen my first post on April 28th, a significant day in Nichiren Buddhism.

First of all, a special thanks to each and every poster for their numerous and insightful contributions, especially Tsukimoto, Nichijew, Rothaus, Evergreen, DrJesus, SGBye, Sparky, Anitcult, Sushigirl, Shavoy, Watakka1, Quiet one, Blue Lady, and many others too numerous to mention. I am thrilled to discover so many kindred spirits. I have experienced great anger, relief, joy, and inspiration while reading about your experiences, insights, and opinions, which so closely mirror my own. What a wonderful support group you have been for so many people, now myself included. How refreshing to find such a beautiful and compassionate group of truthseeking jewels who are courageous enough to speak out against the madness of the Ikeda Cult. I no longer feel so isolated in my lonely struggle against this bait and switch cult of BINOs (Buddhists-in-name-only).

I joined NSA 40 years ago while still in college, and held the position of Texas Chapter chief early during my first three years of practice. Approaching buddhism on my own volition with a seeking mind and great enthusiasm, I sought out NSA just in time to be swept up by the Shohondo Completion Tozan in '72, and was quickly fast tracked into being both a district leader and a YMD senior leader (butaicho) before even learning to do gongyo. I went taiten after the first three years of subjecting myself to severe cult abuse, otherwise known as "training". But being deeply addicted to the SGI frame, I came and went repeatedly over the course of three decades. Not knowing where else to turn, I was getting re-hooked each time I introduced a person to the practice and returned to the organization in order to facilitate my shakabuku's receiving the Gohonzon (as I had been programed to do). Due to my swift running river of denial, it took a very long time to admit to myself that SGI/NSA was really and truely a genuine cult. De-programing myself from the SGI cult has been a very solitary and lonely work in progress, and even now I still find some of the old "frames" lurking about in my thinking. That's why I am so thankful for this board, which has allowed me an opportunity to do some heavy house cleaning of any cult junk still hiding in the corners of my mind. Your posts have also inspired me to begin drafting a book about my SGI/NSA experiences. It's working title is, "Cult of the Master" and is subtitled "Memoirs of a Texas Buddhist". When it is completed, I may offer it for sale to the general public, but I intend to somehow find a way to make it available to select friends online for no charge.

As a musician (please PM me for my original music website addy), I find practicing Buddhism is akin to playing music. One can practice alone, yet it is so much more rewarding and fun to practice with others. There is no need for one to be so dependent on finding others to play with, just pick up your instrument (or voice) and use it! You will still benefit from the joy of practicing, even if you are alone. The development of good practice habits will insure your ability to continue far into the future. And when you are actually with fellow practitioners, you will be able to blend and harmonize together with great joy, due to your strong foundation based on a joyful and healthy practice. I always say, never let fear or negative experiences stop you from becoming one with yourself through your instrument. Music and buddhahood are both inherently within us, and cannot be destroyed by any outside force or influence unless we first allow it. No master, or organization owns either music or the Law. Nor can anyone withhold music or the Law or even Buddhahood itself from you. It is already within you, waiting to be brought out.

Now let me speak directly to those of you who may still be unsure or still on the fence regarding leaving SGI/NSA. First, remember that the SGI organization and chanting are two separate things. You can choose one and discard the other. Then please ask yourself, why would anyone need to be so dependant on another person (or organization) to develope their own life condition? The path to Awareness is an internal one, so why turn over control of your life to a personality cult? The answer: it is neither necessary or desirable. How can declaring yourself a deciple of anyone prevent or facilitate your own path to enlighenment? Why does SGI/NSA refuse to account for billions in donations? How much more effort (money, time, sweat, and blood and a constantly escalating distraction through doing even more chanting and doing even more activities) can be realistically expected of you by HQ leaders? Why is it you can never do enough? It probably wasn't your intention to get sucked into a cult, but it is imperative that you see through the "fog of war" and understand that your mind has been conditioned. You are a victim of "switch and bait" tactics. People with evil motives want to control your mind, your body, your time, and your money - they care nothing about you, your well being, or your happiness and well-being. Where are all those "friends" that gathered around you when you were a brand new member? Bait and switch. Now there are new "friends" interested in you. Will you continue to follow every guidance received from an energy vampire that only wants to stick a straw in you and suck everything you have right out?

Many people came into the SGI/NSA organization expecting to find buddhistic peace and harmony for themselves and for the world, only to eventually bug out after finding a war is/was being waged upon them. Don't let them use you any longer. Stop listening to the superstitious lies that insist you will fall into hell if you leave the organization, or if you dont tow the party line, or don't follow every guidance. Do not allow fear and threats to rule your heart and mind. Its okay to think for yourself again. A determined mind can accomplish great things. Break yourself free from the shackles of slavery. If you do not take action to save yourself, your head may indeed eventually be broken into seven pieces (as in you may go crazy). Step away from the loneliness, the duplicity, and the madness that already surrounds you as an SGI/NSA member. Take back the authority to call your own shots that was surrendered when you were captured. Let us all, as victims of tyranny and injustice, follow the historic example of Spartacus. Muster up our courage, raise our sword of faith, and forever cut the evil bindings that enslaved our minds and hearts. Courage over fear! Reason over dogma!

Lastly, I seem to be the only one here that knows about another important piece of the puzzle regarding George Williams' forced retirement. Sadanaga's family was KOREAN, not japanese. Racial prejudice was surely a factor in the downfall of NSA's first Gen. Director. Ikeda and the top brass at HQ probably hated Williams not only because of his popularity with American members, but because he was Korean (a second class citizen in the eyes of Japanese culture). That's the kind of racial secret that HQ will never be allowed to see the light of day, in order to protect SG's all important image. Any or all the other postulations may be true as well, but I can easily see his being of Korean ancestry as the primary reason to get rid of, and now to demonize and erase Williams from SGI/NSA history. How 'bout zatto? Don't you think so? AAO! AAO! AAO!

I look forward to your future posts and replies. Please feel free to PM me with any questions or comments.

Peace,

SPARTACUS

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.