Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: evergreen ()
Date: August 19, 2010 08:29AM

cyclops - I thought chant to become happy has been around since NSA's inception?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: August 19, 2010 11:26AM

@ evergreen
Yes, but now it's changed. "The only way to true happiness is through the mentor-disciple relationship"

Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: August 19, 2010 12:32PM

@cyclops, You wrote about the upcoming MD activity in August, "Every man who participates in these meetings will have an opportunity to sign his name on a special signature sheet to mark his participation and express appreciation to his mentor at this historic time." So they are putting pressure on MD to put their devotion to Ikeda, not to Nichiren Buddhism, in writing. Why? Why? Why? Do they really believe that Santa will then know they are nice and not naughty and shower them with benefits later. This is what I cannot take. I would not sign such a thing or encourage anyone to. It's a good thing I left when I did because this little activity would have expedited my departure. All of this, just like RTE, seems so desperate, so sad. I continue to suspect that SGI is at a loss. They cannot understand why the organization has not grown significantly, why so many have left, why so many never return--and all while Ikeda is alive and leading. Are they terrified of what will happen when he departs? Doesn't Buddhism discourage attachment? Isn't impermanence a Buddhist concept? Isn't death an inevitable suffering? Isn't change the only thing you can count on? Okay, I may get some criticism from some of you, but I don't believe in world peace through individual happiness. I did, kind of, when I first joined SGI. It sounded so lofty and I was so young. Now it sounds plain ridiculous. My experience of Buddhism is an inside job, which only has external evidence sometimes, sometimes not. I am not necessarily contributing to a more peaceful world. I am not an activist on any level. I am not political. I don't volunteer. I barely vote. I don't even recycle, though I know I should. I do gongyo, chant, study Buddhism in general, read a lot, exercise, listen to music, stay connected to my family, work on my personal issues and work hard at my job. That has been it even at the height of my Gakkai participation. Furthermore, I have this feeling that my experience has not been unique in or out of SGI. @Morgaine, You wrote about a member gearing up for a meeting, "but as he kept talking and was so animated/aggravated it actually made me realize how peaceful my life has become over the last few months...I am really enjoying all the free time. Maybe we should think up a motto, like AA has, 'one day at a time'." Sometimes I wonder if my departure was fueled by a desire to just be left alone, to take a lazy approach to making the world better. Then I wake up! I say all this because I find something baffling: Why does SGI think it is making this world more peaceful? Do they think that peace is taking place by having people sign pledges to Ikeda, watch his videos, read The Human Revolution, revere Gandhi-King-Ikeda exhibit, devote too much time to Gakkai activities, chant endlessly, study the redundant and simplistic publications, and chant to make your dreams come true? However, the idea of simply practicing Nichiren Buddhism to become happy sounds good, so what happened? Why does it need to be loaded down with so much other stuff? SGI members are not happier than other people I know. In fact, if one considers how much time they devote to these "peace" activities they actually come up short compared to others. I too have been happier and lighter in the past few months than I have been in years. I know longer feel the need to control the meetings, newer members, and the guests. I know longer feel obligated to find a way to get strangers or friends or colleagues to a meeting, only to resent them for never returning. I no longer have to sit through speeches, publications, or videos about Ikeda's greatness. I no longer think that I am entitled to get everything that I want simply because I chant. Yes, I am happier and more peaceful--now.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2010 12:49PM by doubtful.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: August 19, 2010 01:33PM

@ doubtful
I think your assertion is right though. Apart from Gongyo and chanting there isn't much of Nichiren-Buddhism indeed Buddhism left in SGI. Certainly any member of any Nichiren branch will say their path is the right one, they will have heated gosho/goibun debates etc etc in the end they will all try to put into practice what Nichiren taught as good as they can. In SGI they are implementing something totally new, the focus on Ikeda. Again its something different to what many of us once became members of – its Ikedaism. Some mentioned the brainwashed youth and its true their motivation is a totally different one than 10, 15, 20 years ago. This has nothing to do with Buddhist compassion and care, but just about an ageing man's ego.
While still in SGI some said to me that all this Ikeda hype is not Ikeda's wish. Is it not? He is on top of the organisation and yes it MUST be according to his will what we see is happening.

Posted by: dasutari ()
Date: August 20, 2010 12:24AM

Wow this has really blown up. I posted back in the beginning of 2009 as new member of the SGI, and now this thread has 229 pages?? I still practice, and chant twice a day. I have not seen any of the negative aspects that have been told about other SGI chapters, however the Ikeda hero-worship has gotten to be too much. We talk about bettering ourselves, do community volunteering, but at the end of the day we sit to watch the Ikeda video. I feel like we never really get into any depth of real Buddhist teachings. I thirst for more knowledge of traditional Buddhism outside of Nichirens writings, and far far away from the Ikdea ones.

I'm fine with leaving the SGI. I love many of the people I have met, have a blast marching with them in our city's Gay Pride day parade. But more and more the talk is less about buddhism and more about what Ikeda has said in this month's World Tribune. I'm done.

HOWEVER, I cannot think of giving up buddhism or chanting. When I chant my life is in focus, and living by buddhist values has improved my life vastly even from when I posted in 2009. However, there is never any talk about the noble truths or eightfold path, and I feel like i'm missing out on real buddhism.

Where can I go? Zen to me seems to so self-focused, and I loved the Nichiren practice of activism for peace and actively helping other people. It seems so quiet compared to the energetic chanting and community volunteering that were present in Nichiren buddhism. But I want to learn more about Zen, and other Buddhism! Am I wrong in my view of Zen? In my city of Buffalo, there are no purely Mahayana centers, the Buddhism I am interested in. I want to continue my practice, but I have a hard time thinking of giving up chanting. I perhaps would even love to learn more sutra chants!

I do not want a discussion on whether or not SGI is a cult, I still think it depends on what chapter you are in. However, at the top, with Ikeda and New Komeito, it think it is. I also don't need the warnings of the pestering to re-join i'll hear from members, I'm already expecting it.

Instead, as Cult education website, I need help transitioning. Are there any Buddhists in this thread or site who can offer some help for me? I want to leave the SGI but, kind of like looking for a new job, I don't want quit before I can find a new position. What are some Buddhist organizations I can trust (especially of anyone else here lives around Western New York/Ontario) ?

Posted by: cyclops ()
Date: August 20, 2010 02:35AM

evergreen - It's Hard - to chant to become happy - I was practicing for several years before I joined NSA – During this time my MASTER told me that you can never attain happiness – it’s to elusive for you to exist in, it’s always in a state of flux– so you practice in terms of lessening your negative karma – building up your positive karma – and the ultimate goal of raising your life condition to attain enlightenment in this life time this is the purpose of practices. Of course I surmised on my own that if you fall short of your quest then you are still in good shape when you return : )
I must admit after I joined NSA the running argument was you can’t attain happiness because it wasn’t a constant life condition – the example that was always given – you buy a new car – you are in the state of happiness – someone goes through the stop light hits your car and now you are in the state of anger : (
SO happiness was just a illusion.
If i recall chant to be happy became prevalent somewhere in the late 90’s - but I could be mistaken on this? I know when it did come out of the box the standard phrase was President Ikeda wants everyone to chant to attain happiness for me this was a RED FLAG moment –
And that’s how I see the SGI @ present – the masters of illusions - : (
Mentor/disciple – the always mantra of happiness is the goal – give us money even if you have to charge it – to change your financial karma – and programming the YD to ensure that Ikeda is remembered with the great ones Shakyamuni – Nichiren – the sinister side of me says that this would ensure Ikeda immortality and shield any criticism of the SGI from members and non members alike – because who would try to denounce the Buddha (Ikeda) in his own time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: August 20, 2010 06:10AM

doubtful - Please Don’t doubt yourself in this time of tribulation you seem to be on the right path taking care of yourself and those around you – practice and study with like minded people and you will achieve your goals - The power of just chanting is amazing – and you don’t need any external organizations or person to give you your piece of mind – but I feel I am being redundant because I feel that you already know this to be true. A good heart and a seeking mind is what my MASTER in the practice taught me some 30+ years ago – to seek enlightenment and to raise one’s life condition. After all isn’t that what it’s all about – I feel that all else is just a diversion/distraction – from keeping us from seeking our true Buddhist nature. I have so much empathy for all that started their practices in these trouble times. I wish you and all the best in your journey to enlightenment. : )

Date: August 21, 2010 09:30AM

This thing about sign a sheet and make the pledge to the MENTOR in chief IKEDA - {excerpt -(a starting point to create a new history together as a response to our mentor) (Every man who participates in these meetings will have an opportunity to sign his name on a special signature sheet to mark his participation and express appreciation to his mentor at this historic time)} Just pondering the significances of this in the several states that I know of members that are not on board with this insane mentor to all mantra have been mostly in the MD of course I am not saying there are not others in the other division of the SGI empire – I do know a few from the other divisions – so the EMPEROR of the SGI has a problem MD are to some extent not on board with the program – SO have a signing up for all loyal MD to make the pledge – this might be one way of purifying the ranks- Of course this is my guestimation of why they might be doing this - In all my years I must admit I have never ran into this type of pledge!
Anyone else here have any other theories on this strange occurrence? : } ?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2010 09:39AM by cyclops.

Posted by: Morgaine ()
Date: August 21, 2010 05:29PM

@ cyclops,

Other than the constant push to send a letter to President Ikeda I have not run into such a pledge either. I am not sure about the MD being the ones who are not down with the program with the whole M/D and MD pledge thing, I have found the MD to be the first one fighting for this, I guess things are different where you practice. I think the reason for the pledge is the same as all the rest of the brainwashing efforts, more trying to reassure that everyone is will stay with the SGI, and to have a hold when President Ikeda dies, if Mr. Ikeda is not dead already. There is definitely something strange going on.

Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: August 21, 2010 10:26PM

Morgaine, I have felt for a while that it is possible that President Ikeda has already passed away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.