Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: August 15, 2010 11:52AM

It should come as no surprise to anyone here that the SGI would declare RTE as anything less than successfull. Everything they do is "a complete success" and "victorious." If they're due to march in a parade where the rain stops before the parade begins, it's due to the power of their chanting. If it rains the entire time they are marching and then clears up afterward, it was because their "joyous marching" brought out the sunshine. They have an answer for everything!

Regarding the numbers game, I had a chapter chief who would have to choose between going to 2 meetings because they were both on the same night. Yet, on the attendance sheets, he would be put down as having attended both. Also, I was always butting heads with my leaders about the inactive members list. If they haven't attended a meeting in 5 years, they're probably not coming back. But still they would refuse to take them off of the membership list. All of the SGI's numbers are ridiculously inflated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: August 15, 2010 02:33PM

Many pages ago I talked about the "membership card campaign" that occurred a few years ago. Danny Nagashima reported that he got yelled at by President Ikeda because the numbers in the US had slipped. So we were asked to get many new people who didn't want to become active members to fill out membership cards. Family members, friends, co-workers, etc., anyone who was even somewhat supportive of SGI was to complete a card. We were told we would get great benefit if we got many new cards filled out. At the end of the campaign, surprise! SGI claimed many new members. I was very embarrassed that SGI was doing something so ridiculous.

A long time ago, back in the days of NSA, the hancho had to collect money every month for World Tribune subscriptions. Anyone remember that? Well, at least in my area, we were not allowed to drop anyone that did not practice anymore from the World Tribune. So if the hancho was unable to collect the money, he was expected to pay for it. Every month the World Tribune collection was a nightmare, and it caused a lot of resentment from the people who were expected to collect the money. We were told how sad and upset Mr. Williams would be if the World Tribune numbers went down.

The numbers game has caused a lot of resentment and embarrassment and is undoubtedly a reason for SGI's continuous shrinking membership. SGI gets many people to join, but it just can't hold on to them.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: August 15, 2010 04:12PM

quiet one
The numbers game has caused a lot of resentment and embarrassment and is undoubtedly a reason for SGI's continuous shrinking membership. SGI gets many people to join, but it just can't hold on to them.

Well I am not sure at all if the number game could be counted as THE reason for SGI loosing the amount of people it does right now. At least here in Europe the number thing is a thing that puzzled people – it goes down as one of the odd anecdotes of life in Soka-Land. From what I gather the number one reason is still the M/D issue and growing inconsistencies in SGI's interpretation of Nichiren's teachings. This includes efforts to rewrite history in new New Human Revolution.

Date: August 15, 2010 10:27PM

I agree. The inflated numbers just contributes to the overall mistrust of SGI. I tolerated everything for many years, but when the mentor/disciple became more important than chanting, I had enough.

Posted by: Morgaine ()
Date: August 16, 2010 05:54PM

Hi all,
I am very curious about the fact that PI was not seen at the HQ meeting in Japan, as one member here said. AFter having the constant bombardment of him at every meeting in one way or another , I find that quite odd. Does anyone have more info about that?

Posted by: SecretSquirrel ()
Date: August 16, 2010 06:26PM

This was the official description (from SGI-USA Leaders site) of the August HQ meeting video (I didn't attend so not sure what actually played):

August's Video:
May 4th Award Presentation Meeting at Soka University

¡öTotal time: 18 minutes

¡öSGI President Ikeda's address appears in the July 2 issue of the World Tribune.

The meeting begins with an informal dialogue between President Ikeda and Canada's Universit¨¦ Laval Rector Denis Bri¨¨re, who is attending to present the SGI president with a university honor. President Ikeda recognizes Rector Bri¨¨re's mother who is 99 years old and encourages everyone to cherish his or her mother as an expression of the Buddhist spirit.

President Ikeda recalls his first visit to Canada in 1960 and the non-violent social reform movement known as the "Quiet Revolution." The Universit¨¦ Laval played a pivotal role in that movement. President Ikeda quoted the great Canadian philosopher Dr. Fernand Dumont of the Universit¨¦ Laval in Quebec.

In explaining the importance of dialogue to the growth of the Soka Gakkai, President Ikeda acknowledges the presence of Dr. Chang Jen-Hu of the Chinese Culture University. A book of their dialogue has been published. President Ikeda ends by reminding everyone of the spirit to not be defeated by adverse circumstances.

Posted by: cyclops ()
Date: August 17, 2010 12:07AM

Strange occurrence – SO everyone on planet earth knows the Gandhi, King, Ikeda mantra – well there’s a new alignment in the heavens - I would surmise it as the three pillars of Buddhism – I have heard that there is a new comparison of Ikeda the great – having him compared now to – ShakyamuniNichirenIkeda. They are floating this premise @ meetings – gone from the collective memory – Makiguchi and Toda - SO Ikeda the egotistical billionaire is now taking it to the next level? Master to all is not enough he now wants to be placed with the great ones!
Has anyone else heard of this new comparison – maybe he’s gotten a buzz off of the RTE ; )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 12:30AM by cyclops.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: August 17, 2010 12:49AM

Cyclops
I have heard that there is a new comparison of Ikeda the great – having him compared now to – Shakyamuni – Nichiren – Ikeda.

Good grief!! If it were true it would disgust me on one side ... on the other it would not surprise me one bit - rather a (in Soka Gakkai at least) logical step. I am sure some here on the board could verify if its just a rumor or official.

Date: August 17, 2010 08:27AM

Good grief indeed! But I would not be surprised, either. At meetings I heard him called the reincarnation of Nicherin and also a modern-day buddha.

Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: August 17, 2010 12:37PM

@cyclops You wrote, "I have heard that there is a new comparison of Ikeda the great – having him compared now to – Shakyamuni – Nichiren – Ikeda." Please, please, please, please don't let this be true. Up till now I have not been ashamed of SGI, just not interested in following their path. This new comparison would prompt me to return my Gohonzon and deny ever having been affiliated with the organization. That level of gross self-aggrandizement would send me over the top. On the one hand there is the dilemma SGI faces: the imminent departure of its charismatic leader, who--like him or not--did directly and indirectly introduce millions to the practice; on the other hand, even with him SGI has watched many join and then leave and its global numbers remain insignificant outside Japan. This may be frightening to them, yet in the long run it might be all right. If Ikeda is sincere in saying he wants the disciples to surpass the mentor that is precisely what the members need to do, right? The aggressive do-or-die propagation style of post-war Japan (with its emphasis on material benefits) did send membership through the roof there. For a little while this also worked here and in other countries like Korea and Brazil to name a few, although not to the same extent. If SGI's version of the practice does actually cause remarkable personal transformation then the organization's growth is assured. If it turns out that people end up more or less the same as non-SGI people, then the numbers shall remain about where they are. I have not seen proof that the organizational aspects of the practice make any appreciable differences that would attract to new people in large numbers. Even the most die-hard SGI main-liners find themselves thinking that they are supposed to be more than they are. They are supposed to be quantifiably better off than their non-SGI peers but that proves elusive. I wonder why?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.