Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: July 02, 2010 11:41AM

@dragon 14 We are in rhythm(sorry for the Gakkai speak). Today I was asking myself this same question. Do Ikeda or any other paid leaders contribute during May or any other time of the year? If anyone knows the answer, please convey it. I just learned more about how aggressive and relentless members/leaders are being in contacting inactive ( =former) members about RTE. I don't care if I sound like a broken record. How SGI justifies the burden put on its members, current and soon-to-be-former, shows their true colors. Every time I hear yet another story about repeated phone calls urging people to attend RTE, I cringe with embarrassment. SGI has its members stressing out, ignoring their health, lives, and families, and for what?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: July 02, 2010 02:03PM

Sorry if I may ask, but what changes do you want to see in SGI? Does anyone believe one can 'de-cult' SGI? Its Headquaters are in Tokyo and that where the orders come from. Its like in the days of the Soviet Union - sure countries like Hungary, Poland, Romania were independent, but only on paper. A final change only came when the Russian bear had lost its teeth. A change as such therefore is only possible when SGI would cease to exist as we know it. If that would happen too many people would loose their jobs and positions - they won't allow that to happen and rather see a large number of people leave. Internally the ones leaving can easily be branded enemies. The ones left behind will have accepted Ikeda their mentor and make sure contributions will continue to flow making up for the loss of people. SGI does not want people thinking for themselves they want people with blind faith in Ikeda.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 02:07PM by Rothaus.

Posted by: writeforchange ()
Date: July 02, 2010 04:24PM

Aaah, Rothaus, you ask good questions and I do two hour meditative walks before I settle down to bath and writing deep in the night. I spent this walk thinking these questions.

This is some of my thinking from both observation and research. SGI will come apart at Ikeda's death. In his simple maniacal ego he thinks he has placed his son in the position to succeed him. They might keep a small group. As weird as it may sound now---the insertion of the the three founders into constant daily prayers in like trying to develop a trinity and then spiritual disciples passing down the blessing of the spirit with the son being the rock of the new religion.

Thanks to the internet and the networking consciousness arising from the planet, these things are going to be looked at. Once I started linking through the internet I found an Ph.D oral at Princeton from a American who had lived and worked with the SGI in Japan for 7 years. His historical explanation of shakabuku was pretty devastating.

Three things I saw that made deep impressions on me. One a BBC interview in 1964 where Ikeda says that SGI will take over Japan by 1990. At that time he has no idea that this is going be available to be seen forever. From the 70s to the 90s SGIs expansion in Japan was phenomenal. Then they so over reached, were involved in so many scandals and political dirty tactics, that they just hit the wall. Now in Japan, SGI is defined as Buddhism for the poor and the stupid.

Two--actually seeing the bronze physical relief that he wanted installed in the big temple area when he was in his forty's. He is in a bathing suit and the posture, expression etc. are just so over top. As a woman, this is a man full of himself and for no justification. It is in his culture for men like him to buy Geshia and that is considered a form of power---to the world of consciousness rising.... It is ridiculous.

Third, Japan has been historically labeled degenerate Buddhism. Until I really studied, I thought this might be the slander SGI calls it but one of the things I ran into was a five minute video of classical music to time lapse photography of the beautiful temple that was built in the 70s. An architectural wonder. The largest suspension ceiling ever created and attempt to make a building flow like a flying crane. So Ikeda and the priests have their fight. So you see the temple being built to beautiful music reaching into the blue sky and then the last minute and half you see the temple totally destroyed. You read that so many Japanese and the Architectural Association of Japan begged them not to do this--and the answer was up yours. The last thing on the video is that it took three and half years and 35 million dollars to destroy the temple. It never says how much to build it. That is hate.

Then on top of this they find 180 bodies that were never religiously cremated although that had been paid for and just dumped in an anonymous ditch grave in this mess. At that time Japan had been 90% Buddhist funeral rites, today it is just 50% and continually dropping.

Japan is 96% Buddhist. They have a religious registration clause in their constitution. All religions are registered and subject to government regulation and looking at their books. That is because Shintoism was blamed for WWII. It is my understanding that the international headquarters of SGI is really Santa Monica and this was done so that the Japanese government could not identify how SGI got and used their money. If I am wrong about this, someone please point this out.

Further, for all the talk about world wide peace through Buddhism of the SGI etc. This is from memory so this is for picture sake not 100% accuracy. There are 126 million Buddhists in Japan, 90 million registered. And SGI represents about 12 million in Japan. There is a Japanese Federation of Buddhism that meets on a regular basis to discuss current thinking and theology in Buddhism trying to reach for more universality. SGI does not and continues to refuse to participate. The priests at least do. Worse, there is an international world federation of Buddhism that meets to discuss universal Buddhism and has since the 50s. It is really growing and becoming more viable. SGI does not participate in that either.

SGI is Buddhism my way or the highway. They are the only sect in the world behaving this way. This whole concept of struggle and fight etc and prostilitizing to "break and subdue" is totally non Buddhist.

In the 12th Century Japan was a totally Buddhist country in a feudal period. Already religion had been used for centuries to control the masses. You have one Buddhist priest Nicherin who is going to be beheaded by another Buddhist priest who is Ameida Buddhist? This is the only historical incidence of Buddhists killing other Buddhists over theology as political practice within one nation.

I had a leader say to me that we should be thrilled to be able to practice Buddhism exactly as it was over 700 years ago. She was appalled that I said that was the most crazy thing I had heard so far. Who in their right mind would want to do that?

What I consider manifestation is finding a book in goodwill for 99cents that has been out of print since the 70s and for over 20 years was considered a major authority on Japan and the West. The Western World and Japan cost ten dollars in 1970 over 500 pages and beautiful illustrations. That was its fifth printing.

"Historians will recognize instantly in this method the challenge both to Japan's own mystical and myth-ridden historiography, and to the West's narrow and self-centered preconceptions, which have prevented its historians from seeing that the institutions finally adopted were, if Western in shape, thoroughly Japanese in color and substance.

And philosophers will recognize instantly the challenge thrown at Toynbee and Spengler when the Sansom offers evidence of the way in which a society can decay and renew itself without changing its essence. He questions whether any of the chief civilizations of Asia will, even if they voluntarily follow a Western economic pattern, submit to Western precept in political, social, or religious life." G. B. Sansom wrote a three volume history of Japan from the dawn of history to 1867. He was Director of the Asian Institute at Columbia and Professor of Japanese at Standford. He was knighted for his work twice.

SGI holds out Buddhism as a religion and that is how it is practiced by many in Japan. But Buddhism is a philosophy. The Buddha was not a god. He was an enlightened man. He spiraled through a process of enlightenment and taught it as a way of life. He tried various aspects of religion of his day. He never destined any of them--a foundation of Buddhism---he just found another level and another etc. Oneness by many paths..... Buddhism failed in India--its birthplace because he held out equality and mixed with untouchables. Buddhism rejects the caste system something the majority in India did not want to give up. Japan also has always had its own caste system. Thus, Japanese Buddhism is unique to Japan. Zen Buddhism developed in Japan and remains with triple the number of SGI members in Japan. Buddhism was originally an oral tradition with none of the Buddha's sutras being written until 800 years after his death.

Discussing the real historical evolution of Buddhism and how its many branches came to be is not something that is ever done or considered by SGI. In some of the SGI books I read studying non SGI Buddhism is considered heretical. Leaders are instructed to tell people they are corrupted by this.

Thank you Rothaus for making me do this by making me think about it. I await seeing what the board thinks before continuing.

Posted by: scaredtoleave ()
Date: July 02, 2010 08:18PM

(I apologize if this posts twice.)

Thank you all so very much for your responses. It really touched my heart that you would be so kind & take the time to respond.

What a strange feeling it is. Yes, before I joined I said "I practice Shin!" They responded I could practice Shin and chant too, that there were many people of many different religions who chanted. However, once I joined, I immediately experienced pressure to give up my Shin practice as SGI was the ONLY "correct" practice.

I found myself fearful of home visits, as there were always comments about my Buddha statues, and books about other Buddhist traditions, which I found confusing as they had always said I could continue my regular practice and chant too! When I tried asking them about it, they simply told me now that I had received my gohozon it was time to chant to change my karma, and the only "right" Buddhism was SGI. Which also really confused me, as still to this day, I have yet to understand where or who can comfortably & honestly say to me that the "first" Buddha ever stated that we should dismiss all his previous teachings.

I had many books on all different Buddhist traditions, as well as numerous other religious beliefs, including a bible, and self-help books. There were all very much frowned upon. I explained that I love learning about other people's beliefs as it helps me understand them better, and isn't understanding (or seeking to) a form of compassion and isn't mutual compassion a step towards Peace?

Also, I always was very confused by the idea of a Buddhist organization being run by a "President"???

What's particularly perplexing to me right now is one of the last home meetings I attended.

I was experiencing some health challenges, and was potentially requiring a surgery, when I lost my job and consequently, my medical insurance. I was told I did not need medical insurance or attention, as I had a Gohozon, and the only reason why I was sick was because I was not chanting enough.

This was confusing to me, as prior to receiving my Gohozon I did not have steady work or medical insurance and was told if I received my Gohozon and chanted enough, great fortune would come into my life and one day I would have full-time work and medical insurance!!!!!!!! Also, never have any financial worries again.

By this point, I was seriously considering washing my hands clean of SGI, as I was tired of feeling ridiculed for my beliefs, Buddhas, and books. ESPECIALLY for feeling pressured to go to these meetings that "would change my life." When in my own opinion, my life wasn't that bad?! A lot of members told me if I were to chant more, my life would become more like theirs. I tried to politely explain that my life was lived on purpose, and the ways it was different from theirs, is because that's the way I liked it, that is the way I prefer to live. They insisted I could not be really happy, and I tried my best to bite my tongue and politely explain that not everyone wants to live the same way. That just because I didn't go to meetings all the time and clap & sing & get all excited about their President, didn't mean I was an unhappy person. It simply meant that I don't feel the same feelings towards their President as they do.

So, I develop this medical challenge and lose my job, when I decide it just may be the right time to completely exit my SGI "membership." Things were becoming challenging, and I honestly wanted simple, silent meditation to keep my mind centered. For me personally, the more scary and challenging circumstances become, the more imperative silent meditation becomes for me. It's what gets me through.

I had promised one of the members that I would attend this home meeting, and although my heart was not in it, I try to always adhere to my promises, so I went, thinking it will may very well be the last meeting I ever attend. When the speaker begins to share her experience, my heart misses a beat and my jaw drops. She is sharing her experience, and it is strikingly similar to what I was currently going through, right down to the very same medical condition!!!!!!!!!!!! I absolutely was struck by the coincidence. She spoke of falling to the floor, lying unconscious, and her family gathering around her chanting her back to life. My intellect thought "how could that possibly be?!" But her account of her condition was so detailed, so real.

In that moment, it all seemed too amazing to be mere coincidence and afterwards I spoke with member attendees who explained to me it was simply the Mystic Law working, that I was meant to be at that meeting, and hear the experience so that it would renew my determination to be victorious and chant to be restored to good health.

It seemed so amazing & meaningful. I took it was a sign that I should stay with the practice and really give it more of a chance. Afterall, what an amazing coincidence/incident!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This amazing coincidence over-rided the "leave" feeling my gut had previously been speaking to me.

While reading your wonderful responses, I came across one which said (tsukimoto) that "If the guest has a health, money, or family problem, some member who has had that particular problem will share an experience of how they resolved it through chanting/President Ikeda's guidance/doing activities for SGI."

My heart sunk when I read that. That possibility never crossed my mind.

I'd like to believe it was some mystical sign from the Universe, but after reading that, I am rethinking everything.

I don't see how or why it could be, seems far-fetched. This speaker came a long way to share her experience at our meeting. Also, what if I didn't show up at the meeting? I only shared the specifics of my medical issue with one member, who is in a different district. So it seems crazy to contemplate that information was relayed. I just don't know anymore. I just don't know.

Date: July 02, 2010 08:59PM

Well, it’s certainly a question of what defines a SGI Headquarter. If it’s where the money is held or transferred to, as MIGHT be the case with Santa Monica, then you may have a case. If you consider it to be where the financial, political and directional decisions are made then it is Tokyo – that’s where Ikeda and the Vice Presidents are.
On the other hand one should not underestimate SGI’s influence in Japan, the constitutional issues are easily dealt with. Otherwise it would not be possible that nobody even tries to play down the fact that SGI-members in Japan are fully incorporated into the Komeito election campaign machinery. It’s so obvious that its no secret at all, friends of mine where in Japan on a private visit during election time and were irritated.

Date: July 02, 2010 11:24PM

@WFC You wrote, "There is a Japanese Federation of Buddhism that meets on a regular basis to discuss current thinking and theology in Buddhism trying to reach for more universality. SGI does not and continues to refuse to participate. The priests at least do. Worse, there is an international world federation of Buddhism that meets to discuss universal Buddhism and has since the 50s. It is really growing and becoming more viable. SGI does not participate in that either.SGI is Buddhism my way or the highway. They are the only sect in the world behaving this way. This whole concept of struggle and fight etc and prostilitizing to "break and subdue" is totally non Buddhist."

Five years ago I heard about SGI's refusal to participate in any inter-faith discussions with any other Buddhist sects. A former Roman Catholic priest friend of mine who was active in an organization for refugees and in the Merton society came to two SGI meetings with me. He was impressed by Ikeda's Peace Proposal in Living Buddhism because of the quantity and quality of references to sophisticated theories. Later, he researched SGI a bit and this is when he discovered that unlike most religious organizations, "SGI talks to no one, which is dangerous." Those were his exact words. He was also upset by a leader's simplistic explanation of Christianity. Fortunately my friend chose not to debate this leader during Q&A. Later, he ended up, coincidentally, counseling some former members who communicated their dissatisfaction with the organization. Around this time the mentor-disciple thing went into overdrive as well. I mention all of this because SGI really thinks it is emulating Nichiren's style through its single-mindedness, its exclusivity and its aggressive shakubuku, particularly in the past. I am starting to wonder if Nichiren might be part of the problem. He was not tolerant of other faiths, unless the Lotus Sutra was regarded as the highest teaching. Only then could people deal with others. SGI will not deal with others at all, unlike Nichiren. What are they so afraid of?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 11:25PM by doubtful.

Date: July 03, 2010 01:09AM

@doubtful

I am starting to wonder if Nichiren might be part of the problem. He was not tolerant of other faiths, unless the Lotus Sutra was regarded as the highest teaching. Only then could people deal with others. SGI will not deal with others at all, unlike Nichiren. What are they so afraid of?

Never forget to look at Nichiren in his historic context. Buddhism unlike today was a state religion - any religion being declared a state religion will sooner or later be corrupted. Look at Christianity in Europe with Bishops etc acting as secular feudal lords. We have in the end moved ahead (at least somewhat) in the 600+ years since.

Date: July 03, 2010 01:41AM

@Rothaus, I am not sure what you mean when you say, "Never forget to look at Nichiren in his historic context. Buddhism unlike today was a state religion - any religion being declared a state religion will sooner or later be corrupted. Look at Christianity in Europe with Bishops etc acting as secular feudal lords. We have in the end moved ahead (at least somewhat) in the 600+ years since."

Do you mean Nichiren was right or wrong to claim that Japan was experiencing so much strife because it was following corrupted forms of Buddhism, not the Lotus Sutra, free of other influences like Zen, Pure Land, and True Word? Nichiren also made a point of NOT being in cahoots with the government. Would he have supported Buddhism as a state religion if it were the Lotus Sutra as he wished it? When you say, "we have moved ahead" I am not sure what you mean. I am not attacking you at all. I am just not clear what you mean. I also wish others would respond to some of the concerns or questions I have presented about Nichiren's perspective.

Posted by: cyclops ()
Date: July 03, 2010 03:31AM

I think that when Ikeda takes his journey to eagle peak – the organization will enshrine him as a sage or as close to one as they dare go. I had a heated discussion on this some years back – I was taken aback by some of the remarks - one was on making Ikeda into a sage like Nichiren another making him into or suggesting that he is the reincarnation of Nichiren! And other statements that would boggle the mind These Sr. members were very into what next after Ikeda – I feel that there is already a plan to handle this event by the upper echelon in SGI. To big of a cash cow to let this operation go$$$ And I am sure there will be another Ikeda extravaganza send off that will dwarf RTE!!!!

Posted by: overthetop ()
Date: July 03, 2010 05:30AM

Ok, another thing that scares me about SGI is how they can really get into your head after a short period of time.
After my four month stint with the SGI, I found myself thinking some of the same things that people who have been in SGI for many years describe.

Such as..if things don't seem to be happening even though I've been chanting, maybe something is wrong with me.
If I start to doubt, then I just remind myself that powers are testing me and not to give up faith.
Also, strange situations involving money. I thought making contributions would be more private, but the person who collects
your envelope can see your name and how much you donate.

And then there is the overused image of President Ikeda working itself into every crevice in your mind, how could it not with all the photos of him and by him everywhere,
a hundred books by Ikeda, the World Tribune arriving weekly, the prayers twice a day.

I'm glad I found this forum, because I was starting to become brainwashed too. I'm still interested in learning about Buddhism.
However, I don't think I'm going to be doing it with the SGI.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.