Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: June 16, 2010 11:39AM

@Nichijew, you once wrote, "I thought nothing about doing all sorts of non-Buddhist activities as a YMD member and leader. I wanted to attain Buddhahood and I was willing to do whatever my seniors said I needed to do, in order to do so: ...cleaning community center toilets until they shined; endless marching; trying to memorize To My Young American Friends; meetings nearly every night and on the weekends for weeks and months on end; ...strained family relations because they wouldn't chant or couldn't see how enlightened I was from doing all these activities or them criticizing Ikeda;... practically begging people to get the Gohonzon, paying for them to get one, shaming them into getting one, breaking off relationships because they wouldn't get one etc.
The problem was, I didn't study the Lotus Sutra and all the writings of Nichiren Daishonin. I followed persons rather than the Law."

I know I commented on this once before but I forgot to quote it(well, an abbreviated version). LOL I love this post of yours. It's so funny because it reveals more about us than it does about the organization, to a certain extent. I included the parts I could relate to but I know plenty of YMD who can relate to all of it. Many left a long time ago. Since I find psychology fascinating, I have to wonder what is it in us that made us think that we were changing the world with any of those activities. Perhaps this is what the apostles, Paul, and his followers went through in their own way. Perhaps this is what all fledgling organizations have to do to establish themselves. To this day I will say that I don't regret most of those activities. I know plenty of non-SGI members who were doing nothing better during that part of their lives. In fact, some have even commended me for what I did--even with all the cult-like craziness! I was excited about Nichiren Buddhism and the organization's promises. I made some friends, felt like I was part of something cool and alternative. What I did not realize I was doing to myself was deepening a tendency to judge others superficially, especially if they were not on board with how great Nichiren Buddhism with this organization was. In fact, I confess to feeling that other religious faiths/practices were quaint, ineffectual, limited, or just down right ridiculous! SGI is supposedly committed to diversity, yet I was intolerant (and resentful) and so were many others. I would purposely avoid books/articles by other Buddhist teachers/sects because I assumed they could not have anything to teach a True Buddhist. Perhaps at the outset an organization with global ambitions needs to be narrowly focused around an individual. Perhaps at the outset said organization needs to make promises which it cannot possibly deliver. As more layers in my thinking are dissolved, I see more of what in me was attracted to what the organization presented. It took two to perform this dance, even if I was the one wearing Sunday whites like a bride! If anyone else has crazy stories about what you did, especially in your early days of practice with the organization please relate them. This is more entertaining to me than anything on cable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: June 16, 2010 08:44PM

Dear Doubtful:

"Perhaps at the outset an organization with global ambitions needs to be narrowly focused around an individual."

Excuses, excuses. I have been hearing this from several SGI members, lately. It is just the latest BS excuse for rationalizing their cult of personality. It was the same at the very beginning in the SGI. The evangelical movement spread to as many countries and was adopted by more people than the SGI without becoming a cult of personality. Same for Islam.

Nichijew

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: June 17, 2010 02:01AM

Doubtful
Perhaps at the outset an organization with global ambitions needs to be narrowly focused around an individual.

I even agree with Nichijew on that one. Look at the Red Cross, Amnesty International, Greenpeace or Medcins Sans Frontiers --- sure somebody founded them but they are know as organisations. Besides Shakyamuni and/or Nichiren should suffice or not? They might not if we are talking of something entirley different - which in my books is the case, and at that moment we are not talking about Buddhism either to which most other Buddhist traditions would agree.
I do again refer to the list I posted on page 19 - and in my view the issues raised are valid - SGI unofficialy and officialy talks of other traditions and faiths in a disrespectful manner and by doing so dsiqualifies itself to be taken serious. This is also true for its members then - sure in every organistaion one has to live with issues one not might agree with but this one is quite fundamental. At the moment SGI is Ikeda and Ikeda is SGI and if one ever questions this idea openly one is being shunned.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 02:11AM by Rothaus.

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: June 17, 2010 04:27AM

SGI is centered around Ikeda, as its the same technique used by most sects and cults.

First off, Ikeda has a grotesque Egomania, as can be seen in countless behaviors by Ikeda, like hiim giving "gifts" of books of photos of Ikeda to others.
As well as Ikeda buying hundreds of fake "degrees" to fan his Egomania.
There are dozens of examples.

That is because SGI is all about making Ikeda into a multibillionaire, and stroking Ikeda's pathological Egomania, which gets even worse with every cultish leader, as the years go by. Power corrupts.

As well, Ikeda and the other senior SGI propagandists, know very well that using a "personality" is the way to hook people into a sect. This is why they try to manufacture the false "intimacy" with Ikeda, with photos, and writings.

If many current SGI members are now trying to say that making SGI into a cult of personality around Ikeda is a way that..."an organization with global ambitions needs to be narrowly focused around an individual", they are being fed that propaganda by the SGI propagandists, to try to counter the cultish worship of Ikeda, which SGI manufactures.

The master propagandists always have a way to mess with people's minds and perceptions.

Re: Former SGI members: Personality Cults
Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: June 21, 2010 06:32AM

From zendirtzendust.com

Open Forum on Buddhist Personality Cults (This has also appeared on www.buddhajones.com)

-------------------------------------Beginning of Quote-------------------------------------------------------------

A cult of personality arises when an individual uses mass media to create an idealized and heroic public image, often through unquestioning flattery and praise. Cults of personality are often found in dictatorships. The sociologist Max Weber developed a tripartite classification of authority; the cult of personality holds parallels with what Weber defined as ‘charismatic authority’. A cult of personality is similar to hero worship, except that it is propagated by mass media. However, the term may be applied by analogy to refer to adulation of religious or non-political leaders [wikipedia]

This post stemmed from some conversations online concerning the popular standing of the Dalai Lama in the West as well as his status among followers. 

In some cases, such as the Dalai Lama in my opinion, this personality cult is largely an aftereffect of popular marketing and promotion of eastern philosophies into pite sized nuggets of wisdom that can be easily swallowed and digested.  Who wants to think of the Dalai Lama as a homophobe?  Or of Shunryu Suzuki Roshi as a horrible husband.  Or you favorite teacher as taking a crap?

Or perhaps we need to make sure that we untangle the myth from the individual.  For example, the myth of the Zen Master is far from the reality of the Zen Master.  It is when practitioners become too tied to the myth and the perception that they lose site of the actual person.

Some of these qualities imputed to the Zen master are simplicity, innocence, and lack of self-interest or desire. The master is said to be a person whose actions flow solely out of compassion for other sentient beings. He wisdom, the ability to see the truth behind appearances and to have the prerogative to speak expertly on all subjects. In fact, he is taken to be last in an unbroken chain of enlightened, unblemished masters reputedly going back 2500 years to the historical Sakyamuni Buddha. But, this portrait can only exist if we ignore the irritating complexity and contradictions of actual lives and real history. [Zen Master in America~Stuart Lachs]

We hate complexity and don’t want to see contradictions so it is seemingly easy to appreal to an idealized image of those from which we wish to learn.  And I don’t mean to single out the Dalai Lama on this.  It was the example I heard used most often but I think it can apply to any number of examples.  Shunryu Suzuki roshi is held to a very idealized status in American Zen circles.  Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche had equally high status, idealized by students but very flawed in nature.  Controversy also followed Seung Sahn (founder of the Kwan Um School of Zen) after his passing.  SGI president Daisaku Ikeda has also been labeled as a personality cult leader.

While I don’t fault any of these teachers there is a case to be made where followers become less of a student and more of a automaton.  This manifested view of a perfect teacher can lead to a situation that, as described by Stuart Lachs, can lead to a situation where  the Zen Master (or Lama or Guru or whatever) can be provided with a large amount of power and control.  When we place an almost supernatural expectation on normal (read: flawed) individuals what more can we expect than this?

Baker [roshi] was able to get away with such bad behavior, in part, because of the way he manifested his authority. He gave his followers two choices: obey his words without question or be marginalized. Being marginalized was tantamount to being forced to leave, a choice that was too painful for many people to contemplate. Leaving meant giving up what made life seem most meaningful, leaving close friendships and the joy of community. Therefore, in their need to remain at the Center, members recognized, consciously or unconsciously, a powerful incentive to buy fully into Zen’s mythology. [Zen Master in America~Stuart Lachs]
-----------------------End of Quote-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This sentence in particular jumped out at me: "It seems that in many Buddhist circle the concept of a teacher spreads far beyond imparting wisdom and guidance ~ There is an element of supernatural prowess and miraculous insight as well."

Some SGI members that I have known say that they don't worship Ikeda, they just see him as their teacher. No. The way SGI promotes the whole mentor/disciple concept -- and their statements that you cannot attain enlightenment unless you do accept Ikeda as your mentor -- goes far beyond respect for a teacher. It goes into the supernatural realm, a dangerous way to think of any fallible human.

I DO fault these teachers -- they encourage and allow their followers to see them as superhuman and infallible, and they take advantage of their followers' devotion.

Re: Former SGI members: May Contribution
Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: June 21, 2010 07:02AM

I have been away from SGI for almost four years now. I never contact -- nor are contacted by -- any SGI members -- except for the May contribution. This year, it was a message on my answering machine by an unfamiliar voice -- telling me that I could donate online. Two weeks later, a letter.

It begins "Dear Tsukimoto, how are you? I just wanted to thank you for your efforts in the SGI-USA May contribution campaign, and to share with you my contribution experience."

Well, clearly it was a form letter, the same letter sent out to everyone. I HAVEN'T made any efforts in the SGI-USA May contribution campaign, and I have no intention of doing so. Hand over my hard-earned money to a billionaire who won't even do me the courtesy of telling me what he's doing with the money? No way in hell! So clearly, this person either has no clue who I am....or is trying (unsuccessfully) to guilt me for not contributing.

The experience was, this individual planned to give a donation, but couldn't manage to save any money and went for guidance. Leader said, "Chant more seriously and trust your prayer." Person then got a huge, unexpected refund on the tax return.

What are the odds that a person really has no idea that they're getting a big tax refund?

Then our friend was laid off, but still decided to give the large donation from the tax refund, and then was hired for a new job, three days later -- without even applying for it, or job hunting.

The conclusion: "President Toda said 'You can regain any losses tenfold or hundredfold in the form of great benefit.'"

Uh huh. President Toda also spoke of using the faith to gain excellent health -- and died at age 58 of complications from diabetes. If I'm remembering correctly, he also had businesses that failed.

This person also wrote of supporting "Rock the Era"....it was difficult to drive the youth around to all their activities but "it always worked out."

You wonder if the person's family members felt that way about them always being busy with Rock the Error.

In short, the message is that there is no excuse for not giving your all to SGI -- both your money and time. Give more than you think you can, and it will all be returned to you tenfold or a hundredfold.

And if it doesn't, it's all your fault for not chanting seriously and trusting your prayer enough.

Posted by: Blue Lady ()
Date: June 22, 2010 04:42AM

Quoting Tsukimoto " In short, the message is that there is no excuse for not giving your all to SGI -- both your money and time. Give more than you think you can, and it will all be returned to you tenfold or a hundredfold.

HERE IS ONE WAY YOU CAN DO IT. This is actual the sequel to something that took place last week in my AREA.
. I recieved an email like this last week. at the last moment everyone was to dropped what they were doing go to the Center and chant and then call youth. NOw its the SEQUEL this week. So you cant invite guest unless they have been to a Rock the Era meeting. Yet you can sign up those very guest this week .
The clincher for me is this: If you were a youth you had to pay $15 to be confirmed. This would allow you to then get a a T-shirt or some sort of gift. BUT if you sign up after the deadline you still have to pay the $15 but GET NO GIFT. So where is the extra cash going too? Especially since we were told we were not paying for the venue?

First, we would like to thank everyone for their tireless efforts to confirm youth for the July 10th Culture Festival! As a result of everyone's efforts and last week's call center, we now have 61 youth confirmed from Area and the list is still growing! In addition, countless youth were visited and scores of dialogues have taken place in the days after the call center was established! Congratulations!

Due to the success of last week's call canter, another one will be held at the SGI-USA Chicago Culture Center this week! The call center will be held on Wednesday ..... Daimoku will begin at..... and we will do Gongyo at .... After Gongyo, we will being calling youth who have not yet confirmed for the festival to dialogue about it's significance and set up home visits to meet with them one-on-one. We will also be contacting our neighbors, friends and relatives to encourage them to attend as well.

If you plan on attending Wednesday's call center, please bring your current membership list. If you cannot attend but would like members from your district to be contacted, please forward their contact information so that we can reach out to them.

Why do we have to contact our our neighbors, friends and relatives to encourage them to attend as well. When we were told no Guest unless they had been to a meeting? And Why have them pay when they get NO GIFT, NO T- SHIRT, NO BOOK MARK ETC.

What really hurts me as a Women's Divison is that I am being treated as though I am not TRUSTED. You need to see me at the Center, you need to see me make the phone calls, YOU need to know I have home visit's set up. Yet most of the youth sit back and want the Women Division to do all the work. I was told that . Some youth want to sit back order you to do this and that and then not worry about contacting the youth the Old Division will do it. AND IF THIS CRAP FALLS APART IT IS THE OLD PEOPLE WHO DESERVE TO BE BROW BEATING.
Lies , Lies , Lies all they tell is Lies

Date: June 22, 2010 04:45AM

Perhaps at the outset said organization needs to make promises which it cannot possibly deliver. As more layers in my thinking are dissolved, I see more of what in me was attracted to what the organization presented. It took two to perform this dance, even if I was the one wearing Sunday whites like a bride! If anyone else has crazy stories about what you did, especially in your early days of practice with the organization please relate them. This is more entertaining to me than anything on cable.

Let me think of a few and get back to you. I think I can share a few .

Posted by: DavidM ()
Date: June 22, 2010 05:21AM

Wow, from everything in this 180+ page thread that is actually the most cultish behaviour I've seen. Sitting in a room together calling anyone and everyone, hoping they will come and join.
I can't believe SGI has sunk to such depths to hide a nationwide membership drive, aimed squarely at 'the youth', which SGI has been losing rapidly and absolutely needs to survive.
Hiding behind the facade of 'Rock The Era' its just an incredibely pressured and intense membership drive, aimed at impressionable young people who will know nothing about SGI if they end up giving in to the pressure to go.

Devadatta would wince at such a shameless abuse of 'buddhism', for nothing more than increasing SGI's balance sheet.

Blue Lady
If anyone else has crazy stories about what you did, especially in your early days of practice with the organization please relate them.

I trusted SGI. For over 4 years.

;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 05:21AM by DavidM.

Date: June 22, 2010 05:40AM

DavidM
Wow, from everything in this 180+ page thread that is actually the most cultish behaviour I've seen. Sitting in a room together calling anyone and everyone, hoping they will come and join.
I can't believe SGI has sunk to such depths to hide a nationwide membership drive, aimed squarely at 'the youth', which SGI has been losing rapidly and absolutely needs to survive.
Hiding behind the facade of 'Rock The Era' its just an incredibely pressured and intense membership drive, aimed at impressionable young people who will know nothing about SGI if they end up giving in to the pressure to go.

Devadatta would wince at such a shameless abuse of 'buddhism', for nothing more than increasing SGI's balance sheet.

Blue Lady
If anyone else has crazy stories about what you did, especially in your early days of practice with the organization please relate them.

I trusted SGI. For over 4 years.

;-)
So in my next of the woods they could easily make $100,000 off this event. This money might be used to pay for the Venue - which they say it's not , or they just pocket it. If you order 5000 T-shirts its only $2.60 for a simple one color font and white shirt. The other gift might be some old bookmarks - which can be made at a fraction of the cost.
They are makin money off of this event- trust me. SGI over charges on things like materials etc so that if Actual and Budgeted are off by say 45% they will not loose thier shirt in this mess.
Here is the contracted agreement. I say they will probably pay a minum of $100,000 .
SGI brings thier are staff but you need union people to sit next to you . Last time we rented McCormick we brought in our on SGI wizkids in computers and A/V
The YMD/YWD run around as security and ushers although you still need thier security.
We bring our own food so they dont need the 30% cut.
Its piece of cake. We are so organize that if they tell SGI to shut down , get off stage and leave the premisses we could do it in @20 mins. That's what happend when they kick us out of McCormick place we were going over. Man that placed clean out like roaches smelling raid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.