> THE WALK of JOHN ROBERT STEVENS
>
> The History, Beliefs, and Spiritual Dynamics of a
> Christian Cult
>
>
> by Woodrow Nichols

--------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome georgieszendrey. Yes, I think a number of posters have checked out the Nichols publication and it's probably worthwhile to mention it again as things get buried in the numerous messages on this forum. I don't recall any poster pointing out any discrepancies or inaccuracies on the part of Nichols. To bad the internet wasn't available back in 1980 when Nichols published. It's uncanny how the Nichols publication exposes the cult like characteristics that many researchers have concluded and identify as cultish such as (1) charismatic authority (the hook). JRS sounded knowledgeable enough and mysterious (godlike) enough to offer something new to the followers unlike other denominations. (2) Nichols also points out how The Walk also offered another cultish characteristic (utopian vision) of a transcendent belief system of personal transformation into Manifested Sons of God and resurrection life. (3) I think Nichols really nailed it in exposing the Walk's cultic system of control through rules of conduct (strict obedience to the leaders) through TLW Nazi hierarchy. And (4) Nichols also exposes the high demand or example of a totalism system that R. Lifton's research observed in China and Germany. While TLW example of totalism may not be as evil as thought reform (undue influence or mind control) as in North Korea, China, Russia or Germany, the destructive psychological effect on TLW followers has been well documented on this forum.

If you care to comment, what are your thoughts on the Nichols publication?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: October 15, 2016 02:51AM

Anyone needing a Nazi fix, below is a link to a free read of Lifton's book Nazi Doctors. This should help anyone's crankiness.

[phdn.org]

Posted by: Cloudwatcher ()
Date: October 15, 2016 08:53PM

Here is an excellent follow up on the Nichols piece:

[www.deceptioninthechurch.com]

Posted by: Cloudwatcher ()
Date: October 16, 2016 02:02AM

Here is some timely reading

written in early 1950's This will ring some bells

Feast of Tabernacles

[www.georgewarnock.com]

And you can pick up your hard copy here:

[www.amazon.com]

A

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2016 02:03AM by Cloudwatcher.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: October 16, 2016 02:18AM

Interesting...
here's the book description on Amazon:
The best-known volume of popular and prolific Christian author George Warnock, first published in 1951

Cloudwatcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is some timely reading
>
> written in early 1950's This will ring some bells
>
> Feast of Tabernacles
>
> [www.georgewarnock.com]
>
> And you can pick up your hard copy here:
>
> [www.amazon.com]
> e-Warnock/dp/B0007GN7NO
>
> A

Date: October 16, 2016 05:33AM

changedagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Feast of Tabernacles starts sundown Monday,
> October 17. My attitude is this: I am willing for
> the Father to take up His abode with me, as long
> as He agrees not to be so curmudgeonly. I
> can't handle another entity within me that is
> cranky.

I cracked up all day over this post. And this morning I read Cloudwatcher regarding how familiar TLW Feast of Tabernacle's's teaching was to George Warnock's. Coincidence....uh-uh, don't think so.

These references to Tabernacles caused me to realize that in all my sorting it out I still had a nostalgic feeling over my attendance at my last Feast of Tabernacles at Shiloh. I was already experiencing dogma suffocation but during the dinner (in which JRS was in attendance) the prophets were prophesying up a storm which seemed to please JRS, I think I felt like this was some kind of perfect moment. So I delayed my exit for while. But a light had come on in my head and think it may have to do with being raised by an overbearing Nazi father. And now the JRS control was starting to really get to me. I spent my teen years wanting to get away from my overbearing father and here I was submitting to something worse. I few months later I would leave Shiloh with a word from JRS to go back to college and study a major that required science aptitude. I had no science aptitude so I remember knowing then that I wouldn't be following the word and I didn't even care. I think this was one of the signs that Robert Lifton describes in the interview with Steven Hassan where by the human quest for freedom can rise above the mind control. And I had that past controlled life from my father which maybe quickened or ignited my desire for freedom.

I don't subscribe to the whole LW restoration teaching regarding keeping the Jewish feasts and having God inhabit me for the following reason: The Pharisees practiced all the Torah observances including the feasts and Jesus said they did it in vain (Mat 15:29). That's not to say reject the OT; rather, I think study it and interpret it in light of the new covenant that does not include Torah observance or feast observance. I read the following insight on the Internet: In the last supper (communion), Christ discharged his disciples from ancient Jewish obligation in rites and ceremonies because they no longer possessed any virtue. Instead Christ taught a brother not to exalt himself over a brother.

Below is a critique of how George Warnock twisted scripture in coming up with his Feast of Tabernacles doctrine.

George Warnock came to live at Sharon Orphanage in 1949. He had been a secretary to Ern Baxter (an associate of William Branham and later part of the “Fort Lauderdale Five” of Shepherding fame). In 1951, Warnock wrote a book which in was the evolutionary model of the church as seen by the Latter Rain adherents entitled: Feast of Tabernacles” a manual for Latter Rain Doctrines & Practices, in which he laid out a specific doctrine for the Latter Rain Movement. He taught that the Church was about to usher in the completion of God's feasts through perfection of the saints and their dominion over the earth. Three great annual feasts of the Lord in Israel's worship (Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles) typify the whole Church Age, beginning with the death of Jesus on the cross, and consummating in “the manifestation of the Sons of God”-the “overcomers” who will become perfected and step into immortality in order to establish the Kingdom of God on earth.. (George Warnock, The Feast of Tabernacles pp. 14-20, 1951)

In Warnock's 'The Feast of Tabernacles, he makes the feasts a pattern for church progression through time. Starting at Passover, which is Calvary, the church has been passing through the different feasts, over the years, to Pentecost. Warnock writes that we, the church, still have got to go through the Day of Atonement, the Feast of Trumpets, and come into the Feast of Tabernacles, where God will finally dwell within His people” three feasts (Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles) pre-figure and fulfill in type the whole Church Age, from the death of Jesus on the cross, and consummating in “the manifestation of the Sons of God” - the “overcomers” who will become immortal and establish the Kingdom of God on earth.

Biblically the feasts do show a fulfillment in the Messiah and a prophetic scenario. There is truth to what he states, however its how he changes the meanings and application that is twisted. 4 of the feasts were fulfilled by Jesus in his first coming within the 50 days from the time of his death to Pentecost just as they were in the Old Testament. Christ was our unleaven bread (sinless) our Passover lamb (his crucifixion). The first fruits (in his resurrection) and our Pentecost (sending the Holy Spirit). What is important is to understand he fulfilled it personally and will do the same for the last three feasts. The first 4 feasts correspond to the early rain season all held in spring. The last 3 all correspond to the Latter Rain in the fall season. The difference is Jesus fulfills these as well. The feast of trumpets, (the rapture and resurrection) day of atonement (the salvation of the Jewish nation Rom.11) and the feast of tabernacles which is his 2nd coming Christ (God) dwelling with man (not in man which he already is by the Holy Spirit by the new birth). He fulfills these by bringing his kingdom rule to earth. Warnock instead applied it to the Church. There was no Church until the Holy Spirit was sent at Pentecost (although some believe it was after the resurrection when Jesus breathed on the apostles the Holy Spirit). Either way the Church was not participants in all the feasts. (source: Let Us Reason.org)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2016 05:42AM by lily rose.

Date: October 16, 2016 01:08PM

While I have come to appreciate the work and insights of Robt Lifton, especially his research on thought reform and cults, I couldn't read the entire Lifton book "Nazi Doctors" mentioned above. It's not an easy read so I skimmed some of it really fast and even that was hard. The only sections I read closely were the forward/intro ending at page 21 and the section on Numbing & Derealization p441-447 was worthwhile as Lifton discusses the role of alcohol in bonding, socialization and numbing similar to the role alcohol appears to have played in TLW (see Cloudwatcher's above link to deceptioninthechurch discussion on the Walk and drinking.) I will probably eventually read the section on Joseph Mengele but I need to wait awhile.

Date: October 17, 2016 03:40AM

I want to clarify my above view on the Feast of Tabernacles. I don't think it matters that TLWF wants to observe the Jewish Feasts as recommended by the Latter Rain teachings. The problem (as Larry Bobo has consistently pointed out) is TLWF actions to maintain their ideology through an authoritarian structure and cultish control robs members of a true understanding of their personal relationship to Jesus.

It is a fact of Scripture that when a person receives Christ, he receives a share in the fullness of Christ which makes him complete, although always short of godhood (Colossians 2:9-10). Each member is vitally united to Christ by the Spirit through faith in Christ's finished work. But Latter Rain teachers, JRS and TLWF say otherwise, calling for much more than just following the Holy Spirit. Theirs is a call to godhood realization, where God fully indwells the Christian and makes him the ongoing incarnation of Christ. IMO this creates the elitist attitude (which is contrary to the teachings of Christ) among the fellowship that the worth and value of the lives of those who are not among the fellowship are expendable, devalued and cheap. I am appreciative of all the posters who speak out and who continue to call out TLWF on their belief that they can dispense judgment on other human beings when Christ said to do the opposite and to love your enemies. And due to the egregious judgmental attitude of TLWF, I doubt that Christ will be taking up his abode in TLWF during this Feast of Tabernacles 2016 as hoped for by the members.

Date: October 17, 2016 12:58PM

Sukkot YIPEE Sukkot is here -His Kingdom Is Our Reality

October 16, 2016 — by Gary Hargrave

This morning I brought a message titled, “Sukkot Ha Gary said "suckit" — His Kingdom Is Our Reality” at Grace Chapel in Honolulu, Hawaii.

The Feast of Tabernacles begins at sundown. Yea, gonna sleep in my sukkot tonight. He has rescued us from the domain of darkness, and He has transferred us to the Kingdom of His beloved Son. What thoughts should I have while living in my sukkot? To God, His Kingdom is a present reality and we are already in it. I'm in! God has already tabernacled among men and will again. I love taking naps in my sukkot. Come to the feast with expectation, and stand firm in your faith. Come join me in my sukkot!. This is a Word from the Lord to us. No waterbeds permitted in your sukkot.

kBoy I missed your critiques last week!

Posted by: FCSLC ()
Date: October 18, 2016 02:17AM

Leave it to humans to worm their way into dominion over others by whatever means possible. No one has been able to prove they’re Creator God, demonstrating intimate knowledge of every square inch in our Universe of more than two trillion galaxies. Until that happens, the second best option for those who have an ambition to rule is to claim Divine Right of Governance by scripturally proving they’re the ‘ongoing incarnation of Christ.’

Thank God for the scholars, protestors and denominations who realize they can stop the tyranny by simply making the same claim for themselves. It’s opposition that keeps matters in balance.

The beauty of the following words supporting separate and equal station for all individuals are that they are supported by a different frame of thought: ----- “and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature’s god entitle them.”

The authority of this frame of thought is strong enough to repudiate JRS/TLWF’s call to unequal stations of Godhood. There seems to be many in TLWF who want a physical Armageddon to prove their superiority. I really doubt Armageddon will weaken the strength of the laws of nature and of nature’s god. I also believe any future apocalypse will serve to confirm separate and equal station for all individuals. This is the “Good” worth fighting for.

“Good” is superior in rank and power. After enduring the humiliating insults of life lived on the bottom of TLWF’s hierarchy, any Creator Father endorsing TLWF Nazi Life cannot claim “Good” in my view.

Thanks, lily rose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.