Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: November 17, 2018 01:35AM

Walked Wrote:

> I’ve been aware of this forum and have popped in
> occasionally over the years. I found it
> interesting, but thought it was more sour grapes
> from others like me who had left.

Interesting. Even when I was in the cult, I was acutely aware of the double-standards at play. One of the most obvious was the treatment of anyone that dare object, question, or god-forbid complain about the behavior of an authority figure. That person always had a 'bad spirit' or worse. Meanwhile, the so-called apostles, pastors shepherds etc. had very little, if any, restraints on the way they expressed themselves to their underlings. If it seemed harsh (and, of course, it was) it was due to the faulty perception of the sheep not seeing the love of God behind the expression. Right. Gary reinforced this perverse concept with his statement that "insecurity was Satan in the Kingdom." So people were not only beset by the oppression of the authority structure, at mercy to their whims/moods, but blamed for being insecure. Of course, in retrospect, instilling insecurity was a vital part of the LW ministry. Making people dependent upon you for their self-esteem and purpose in life, would make them much more malleable, easier to exploit. And it worked. Of course, now it no longer works. This day is long overdue.

> I’m thrilled to see the church finally blown up
> for what it is— a cult, led by wolves who have
> preyed on innocent sheep since day 1. How can
> anything remain to build on when the entire church
> was built off of a lie (JRS’s vision and
> anointing)? My family always thought I was in a
> cult, but I assured them that we were the chosen
> sons of God—the body of Christ that was so much
> more right than “religion” or other insipid
> churches. Little did I know there was a drinking,
> sexual, money-grubbing power party
underneath,
> that fools like me were financing.

Yes
That party has lost almost all its support. It really is a new day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2018 01:37AM by changedagain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 17, 2018 01:45AM

Tmason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And all the people said... AMEN!
>
> The beginning of the end will be to get the tax
> exempt status revoked.
> How is the free labor that generated revenue that
> went directly to them protected under IRS rules???
> There's a reason they say "don't mess with the
> IRS"

True

Date: November 17, 2018 10:34AM

WALKED:

I wish you would consider posting your story on the closed group Facebook forum for The Living Word Fellowship Survivors. Its important that all of the stories are told and read. I think it is especially worthwhile to hear from ones that were around during some of the previous years. There are ways to post anonymously if you don't want your name published.

Anyway, thank you for sharing.

Posted by: Walked ()
Date: November 17, 2018 12:04PM

Even though I had "only" 8 or so years invested (compared to some of you who were near-lifers), the more I look back, the more I remember and the angrier I feel about losing those years. The "direction" I received about my relationship was detailed, yet I was never important enough to be more than an invisible worker bee, which I guess is part of the mind-screw. I'm actually a member of the survivor FB page and I recognize many of the names-- they were kids when I left-- kids who couldn't make their own decisions. I hope for their sakes their parents have left as well-- a couple seem to have announced as much in the group. I'm hesitant to post under my real name. One part of me would like to reconnect with some of these people that I spent so much time with, and genuinely cared for. Another part is afraid that exposing my heart would only put it out there to be ignored again. I had reason to contact the Valley office and a person at Shiloh a couple years ago to help them with something that could have turned into a legal matter. The contact was cold as stone, and in an email I poured out to someone at Shiloh how I had felt about the church and why I left. NO RESPONSE. That says it all. I'll think about this some more and consider a FB anonymous or alias. It's somewhat comforting to see that I'm not the only one who was a Nothing despite giving my all. Can I still believe in Karma??

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: November 17, 2018 10:11PM

Walked
Walked Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"I feel like I’ve just been told there is no Santa Claus....

I always felt inferior to those who held named positions, and I was awestruck when seeing JRS in Anaheim and South Gate and the Valley church. I only regret that I had never seen him perform one of his laying on of hands “miracles” or to have seen him “glow” as was described to me. I wondered when God would speak to me and show me what everyone else seemed to be seeing/experiencing around me.

When JRS died I was pretty certain that he’d rise again. When Marilyn and Gary took up together I thought it was tacky and suspicious, but who was I to question? When they traveled the country with leather suitcases and moved to beautiful Hawaii, I pondered that. I knew of stories about JRS and Martha, and about the many divorces required for the “divine recouplings”, but I didn’t know the truth as finally presented here in this verrrrry long forum."

Walked, I was part of this group for most of my life. But once you've seen the truth, you can't unsee it. The more I know, the more I feel sure that the whole thing was a con from the get-go. The people in the congregation (in the "pews") were living a very sacrificial lifestyle. The top leaders were doing something completely different. I would love to hear your story, here or on FB.

Date: November 18, 2018 01:18AM

!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2018 01:32AM by changedagain.

Date: November 18, 2018 01:37AM

I sent you a PM, Walked. I hope you don't respond as a TLWF shepherd...wait six months and then send this note:
I don't want your sh*t in my inbox!
:)

Date: November 18, 2018 06:22PM

>Larry Bobo: "It is so easy to blame “middle management” for all the suffering caused in TLWF, but I would suggest that except for a few bad apples, most were duped just like everyone else. They too are victims, and should not be blamed. There are a handful at the top deliberately causing harm, but I think most shepherds were just following orders, believing they were following God, and somehow things would eventually work out for the good of everyone. The evidence is how quickly there was a change in direction as soon as the deception bubble was popped. Repentance is not just feeling bad about something, it’s turning and going in a different direction. In spite of the many accusations, I still don’t think there was a deliberate effort by followers to harm others. Many people, thought out of the picture, are aching over the destruction that has been done to people’s lives, for no other reason than they genuinely love and care for them. There are also many on the sidelines cheering for these recent developments!"

I would love to believe your first sentence, but it's hard to. How many over the course of years and years of deception were part of the back room where they saw the proverbial man behind the curtains? My guess is that any person/couple/family that are dependent on the "church" for their home and salary have got some huge BLINDERS on, because their lives would be ruined if they left or were tossed out. How could a couple in their 50's (for example) start over? Part of it may be the brainwashing, but part is pure economics.

Date: November 18, 2018 07:42PM

>Onion "No one on this forum, writing on FB, or just now facing the reality of the bottom falling out of this group, has arrived at this place without a deep sorrow. It is devastating to look back and know that most of your life, your dreams for your future, your most productive years and all of your energies were given to something so completely false and empty."

That is the summary of all summaries, although I'd add the feeling of shame or embarrassment to the parting sentiments. How did intelligent people fall for this? I tell my partner "but there were doctors and lawyers..." to make myself feel less naive and gullible. Shame on us for hungering after a relationship with God, and a curse on them for betraying humankind in our beautiful search for Life's meaning.

Onion, you in particular I can't thank enough for revealing the factual, behind-the-scenes evidence that the scam persisted from the beginning. I'm a left-brainer, so I needed to see this hard, cold evidence-- facts, dates, meeting topics, the wig (my God!), the trip to Vegas. It took the current shake-up and your posts for me to finally SEE and name what I left so long ago as a CULT. I can only hope the Dregs of leadership that hang on have no success in labeling all those in a (hopefully) large exodus as "deceived" or "Jezzebels" or whatever their current slam is. I pray that others see forums like this and their eyes are finally opened.

As an aside, I'm sure the regulars here know of this reddit page (now archived): [www.reddit.com]
There are some interesting links there. The poster asks for input for a book/article at walkn.n.talkn@gmail.com. I would gladly contact this person if he/she seems legit. (May even be someone on this forum?!)

Onion's summary would be a good tombstone epitaph for The Walk: "No one arrived at this place without a deep sorrow. It is devastating to look back and know that most of your life, your dreams for your future, your most productive years and all of your energies were given to something so completely false and empty." (RIH The Lie).... where H stands for Hell.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: November 18, 2018 07:56PM

I tend to agree with both points being made (LB & WALKED) with one exception, the statement that "many over the course of years and years of deception were part of the back room where they saw the proverbial man behind the curtains".

In my 35 years with TLW, which did NOT involve any shepherding responsibilities (and thus no back room exposure to 'the man'), did I ever have a conversation with either JRS or G&M, or be invited to any 'inner circle' activities, which was probably the status quo for most of the fellowship over the years.

I completely agree with the assessment that after investing such a large portion of life into any such organization, a decision to 'stick it out' is not only based on economics, but more importantly, on social concerns about finding new relationships starting afresh in the twilight of life. No fun either way.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2018 07:59PM by kBOY.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.