> smoking, herbal supplements, coffee, the giving
> and receiving of free labor, and my personal
> favorite, the practice of singing to the Christ in
> the flesh while gazing intently into another's
> eyes.
>
> Any other ideas? (Note: This list was partial, and
> in no particular order.)

Like to hear from Rick. I'm given up child brides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: December 22, 2017 08:48AM

NickleandDimed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like to hear from Rick. I'm given up child brides.

Oh, dear God...one can only hope, NickleandDimed! And not just for Lent!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2017 08:49AM by Reepicheep.

Posted by: dbc ()
Date: December 22, 2017 01:21PM

Really, Invisible? Not even a question. Our first act of submission to gain full acceptance into the "remnant" was to renounce Christmas and refuse to celebrate it with our families.The first act of rebellion when the Washington Iowa church split was to put up a big Christmas tree in their sanctuary.

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: December 22, 2017 04:53PM

Great to hear from you again dbc! I didn't know that about the Iowa Church. Rebels without a Claus.

changedagain I think you meant to say I "didn't" believe they were Christ?

"BTW, I have to admit that I was never able to gaze
into another person's eyes and sing to them as
though they were Christ in the flesh. I think the
root of the problem was that I did believe they
were Christ, nor I. It was an obstacle I could
never really overcome. It feels good, though,
finally admitting it"

WOW!

I relocated recently and went to say good bye to my Jewish neighbor. (I briefly talked about him here last year.) He told me his wife, a Holocaust survivor, experienced a life long trauma over what she was unable to talk about...believing that no one would understand. Larry's most recent post encouraged "those who are able to share their experience with TLWF so the others can make an informed choice..." It's been said here many times by readers of the message board that it has been helpful to them to hear about the LW cult experiences of others. We are fortunate that there are many in the forum who do understand what others have experienced.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: December 22, 2017 11:57PM

Now, that is a major error on my part, Lily. I keep telling myself...read your comments before posting them! And yet I don't make it a habit. Maybe this will teach me a lesson.

lily rose Wrote:

> changedagain I think you meant to say I "didn't"
> believe they were Christ?
>
> "BTW, I have to admit that I was never able to
> o gaze
> into another person's eyes and sing to them as
> though they were Christ in the flesh. I think
> k the
> root of the problem was that I did NOT NOT Not NOT!! believe they
> were Christ, nor I. It was an obstacle I could
> never really overcome. It feels good, though,
> finally admitting it"

I made a slight edit (above) reflecting what I meant to write.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: December 23, 2017 12:10AM

I did not know this. Thanks for sharing the bit of walk history, dbc.
BTW, I had a falling out with my father (biological, not John) over my refusal to celebrate Christmas in the late 70's...based on walk teaching. It was all so unnecessary. And now, of course, the Christmas truck experience is one of the highlights for the fellowship--at least in the L.A. area.

dbc Wrote:
> Really, Invisible? Not even a question. Our first
> act of submission to gain full acceptance into the
> "remnant" was to renounce Christmas and refuse to
> celebrate it with our families.The first act of
> rebellion when the Washington Iowa church split
> was to put up a big Christmas tree in their
> sanctuary.

Date: December 23, 2017 03:08AM

changedagain Wrote:
> I did not know this. Thanks for sharing the bit
> of walk history, dbc.
> BTW, I had a falling out with my father
> (biological, not John) over my refusal to
> celebrate Christmas in the late 70's...based on
> walk teaching. It was all so unnecessary. And
> now, of course, the Christmas truck experience is
> one of the highlights for the fellowship--at least
> in the L.A. area.
>
> dbc Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Really, Invisible? Not even a question. Our
> first
> > act of submission to gain full acceptance into
> the
> > "remnant" was to renounce Christmas and refuse
> to
> > celebrate it with our families.The first act of
> > rebellion when the Washington Iowa church split
> > was to put up a big Christmas tree in their
> > sanctuary.

Changed and dbc, this was my experience too. I was a teenager and one of my parents was not in agreement with the no more Christmas rule. I wasn't thrilled either, but eventually succombed to the dark side. Sometimes I wish that I had pitched a big fit, but oh well.

Changedagain, did Gary make a huge deal about not celebrating Christmas when he was your pastor? Just curious.

And dbc, lol about the huge Christmas tree in the Washinton, Iowa sanctuary. Good for them!

Posted by: Invisible ()
Date: December 23, 2017 03:56AM

Posted by: dbc ()
Date: December 22, 2017 01:21PM

Really, Invisible? Not even a question. Our first act of submission to gain full acceptance into the "remnant" was to renounce Christmas and refuse to celebrate it with our families.The first act of rebellion when the Washington Iowa church split was to put up a big Christmas tree in their sanctuary.

-------------------
Just something to think about:

Seems to me, while as members of the church - we may have had many experiences the same and we may have heard what was being said in the services the same or ( it appears often not always the same ) - how we individually may have applied things - may have differed too. Even what we each heard - we may have heard differently.

Our own extended family who didn't attend church of the LW - did not stumble over our not celebrating Christmas - we all adapted - and we continued in our relationship with one another as family during the holidays. While some believed in Christ -some leaned toward being more secular, or neutral. That was our over all family - however we stayed connected and respected one another's right to live life as each family unit pleased (whether we disagreed or not on certain things - we kept those things to our self and every one got along).

If people in the church chose to celebrate Christmas - there was no judgment in our thinking made against them from our own family unit who chose not to celebrate the custom. And our choice was not based on J.R.S. imposed it on us. We studied the matter further because it was a big decision and change of thinking for us personally as a family. We chose to live by our own conviction based on information's and historical information we were 1st made aware of by J.R.S.

As for me, I think how a person chooses to worship God and honor His Son is a sacred matter between a person and their God. Many choose to observe the custom apart from God - are they to be picked on or criticized because Christ is omitted from their X - MAS?

We can find fault with anyone or anything if we choose to do so - we can even cry about how we were robbed of all the presents we didn't buy, give or get because some one told us not to celebrate Christmas (easy now) - or one might ask - why did one join the church, if they had to give up something that was extremely important to them or why would one give up was what they believed in?

Peace be all of ours - at this time of the year and there after.

Date: December 23, 2017 04:37AM

Invisible Wrote:
> We can find fault with anyone or anything if we
> choose to do so - we can even cry about how we
> were robbed of all the presents we didn't buy,
> give or get because some one told us not to
> celebrate Christmas (easy now) - or one might ask
> - why did one join the church, if they had to give
> up something that was extremely important to them
> or why would one give up was what they believed
> in?

Invisible, I am happy for you that your family was able to live and let live and remained intact. I can assure you that many posters on this message board had the opposite experience.

I came into the church as a young person living at home. I didn't "decide" to join the Walk, and neither did many other young people. One parent joined the cult and one didn't. I'm not sad over presents. I'm sad because of a divorce and lost time and memories with parents and other loved ones who are no longer living.

I have the impression that you are a JRS apologist, feeling that the Walk only went astray after your "apostle" was no longer leading. I don't know what to say to you, other than that was not my experience. I believe that JRS was a cult leader who ruined the lives of so many. He instituted the practice of arranged marriages and arranged divorces. He tore families apart. He taught us to pray for the death of his enemies. He taught us that we alone were God's chosen people and all other churches were Babylon. If someone dared disagree with him, he branded them a nephilim. That person was shunned in no uncertain terms. He led people to invest their life savings in idiotic ventures like the Nevada mine.

Here's a quote from "The Path", a show about a cult on Hulu: "Once you've seen the freak show, you can't unsee it." You apparently never saw the freak show.

Also, blamimg the victims for joining is a low blow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 04:49AM by Reepicheep.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: December 23, 2017 05:41AM

I have to agree with you Reepicheep. Things were definitely off course even while JRS was still at the helm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.