Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: Apostle Dog ()
Date: December 06, 2015 01:18AM

While we are discussing the interest of the Walk's leadership with being open to other ministries, what was the deal where they were interested in the ministry of Todd Bentley? It seems to me that when Living Word wants to get involved with somebody they seem to gravitate to the craziest of all. The thing about the Catholic church, I just figured that had something to do with having the churches in Brazil, I figured that had to do with Hargrave wanting to be popular with Brazilian people, as I think that is a Catholic country isn't it, I mean as far as Christianity is concerned?

Another thing, I was thinking of, and this might have something to do with what we are talking about, how I am talking about, how Living Word leaders seem to go for the more cultic and or idolatrous people, here is a quote of someone that wrote a book that has been the defining handbook on how to decieve. It refers to how people will believe the more outlandish lies when they won't be fooled with smaller, more subtle twists of the truth. Here in part is the quote, or part of it, so I can cut and paste the part that might work here:

All this was inspired by the principle —— which is quite true in itself —— that in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper stata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily, and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large—scale falsehoods.'

Adolph Hitler, Mein Kampf [8.]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: paleface ()
Date: December 06, 2015 01:30AM

Does anyone know when the prayers for the death of Martha Stevens started? Was it 1974 or so? Or was it earlier?

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: December 06, 2015 02:21AM

paleface Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know when the prayers for the death of
> Martha Stevens started? Was it 1974 or so? Or
> was it earlier?

Not sure. It was in full swing when I joined in '76...
BTW, I know some people get immersed in incompatible, hostile marriages--but labeling your wife a channel of Satan and involving hundreds of people to pray violently for her death--or the death of spirit that moved through her--is quite outlandish. Now that I have the benefit of some distance and have matured somewhat--this is clear to me!

Date: December 06, 2015 02:35AM

This might be considered off-topic, but I just want to admit to myself and everyone that reads this forum that the Chocolate Coconut Almonds sold at Trader Joe's are absolutely amazing. I have no idea whether they are from God or Satan, but I plan to develop even a deeper relationship with them during these holidays. Death to all its rivals!!

Posted by: Factoverfiction ()
Date: December 06, 2015 02:53AM

Knowing members of the church has made it hard to speak out against them, and I know I'm not alone in that. Furthermore, it seems G&M perfected the art of operating a "good little cult," one that hasn't oppressed its followers in any ways that would grab headlines (gross financial exploitation, sexual abuse, apprehension of imminent harm, etc.). There is emotional abuse, no doubt, but sadly that's pretty vanilla in our culture and it's been hard to justify continuing to dig into TLW's history when it would do little to deter the few followers that remain and burn more bridges than anything. However, the development of Shiloh University is scaring me. They offer a worthless DEAC accreditation at the cost of over $20,000 with no financial aid. They are attempting to sell it as the equivalent of a community college education, when the credits are not remotely transferable in the way most CCs are. Furthermore, they are marketing this to children attending their summer camps. A kid going to Shiloh U for a year as an alternative to college is an economic and developmental setback they likely won't recover from, and a regression into earlier trends in the 80s and 90s of TLW discouraging continuing education as "satan was targeting college students and pulling them away from the mantle and the covering of the church."

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: December 06, 2015 03:21AM

PALEFACE:

According to Woodrow Nichols’ account (JRS and The Walk), JRS had a vision in Yucaipa in Sept 1962 of Martha in a coffin, and two years later, active intercession was being directed towards her death (pgs 78-79).

A.D.

Expansion beyond TLW’s own gates probably began with the Israel trips and it’s various affiliations (late 90’s), then to Bill Hart, Mahesh Chavda, and onto Todd Bentley, etc. Outreach in Brazil had its own momentum, which laid the foundation for the association with the Catholic Church.

P.S. Chocolate Coconut Almonds are the perfect will of God.

Date: December 06, 2015 03:48AM

FACTOVERFICTION:

There are a number of well-educated church members who have had no hesitation in sending their children to Shiloh U. When one believes TLW can do no wrong, that myopia extends to all it’s activities. As with everything else in life, consequences are not always immediate.

Date: December 06, 2015 04:31AM

Pushing Shiloh University upon young adults, in part by selling it as an equivalent of a community college education, definitely fits into the category of financial exploitation. If a kid graduates with a degree that basically is worthless--or at least not as valuable as what they thought--and they're also saddled with significant financial debt--that could take many years to recover from. I think you're right to be alarmed by this, factoverfiction.
BTW, my daughters--who spent years in this cult--both graduated from UC schools, with no regrets. Part of the reason they went this route was because I was deeply distrustful of church authorities directing their lives...in spite of the fact that they pretty much had their way with me (and the wife) for some 20 years. Of course, my daughters had seen enough troubling things themselves during their time spent in the cult, to forfeit their lives. Anyway, they attended colleges they wanted to attend. One interesting thing about them is that both rarely mention what they went through in the cult. The only thing that has been addressed, and this recently, is the older one questioning what was going on with this Shiloh University. She questioned whether the degree was worth the money the kids would be funneling to the school.

Date: December 06, 2015 05:30AM

CHANGEDAGAIN:

Our only offspring, who flew the TLW coop long before we came to our senses, also attended a UC school. The entire generation that left looks back at those still involved who are choosing to pay for a Shiloh U. education in bewilderment.

Posted by: Factoverfiction ()
Date: December 06, 2015 09:54AM

Changedagain' I agree, it is exploitation. It's dangerous and stereotypically culty--discouraging diverse education in the congregation that is. I'm glad your daughters did what was best for their futures. I fear for kids brought up in the church that never leave the 'covering' or in other words, the sphere of influence of the church and its mechanisms for control.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.