Current Page: 9 of 10
Re: what cult were you in?
Posted by: Indigo bunting ()
Date: April 11, 2019 11:42AM

You're an Adventist, aren't you? I am too, and no one at my church knows of my doubts and struggles. It's a beautiful religion and I love their teachings on the justice and character of God. I tried so hard to believe all of it. I felt like God had given me another chance and I failed yet again. I am not ready to end my membership, because I love the people there and I love the idea of the Sabbath.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 11, 2019 11:46AM

I googled this group- was it the cult in New Mexico? Yours is an interesting story and I love some of your insights. I like the idea that each of us can find the voice of God without needing leaders or intermediaries.

Date: April 11, 2019 11:56AM

Yes, if I had my druthers I would opt out of an afterlife altogether. 60 years on this earth has left me exhausted.

Date: April 11, 2019 02:14PM

Hi Indigo, Yes it was the group in New Mexico, but they failed! Gods people do hear his voice Indigo, because it's the most important thing to them in this life. And when He starts speaking to you, life opens up and everything starts to make sense. The story of who we are as humans, why we are here. The gospel and everything about God is so simple, it's man that has made it complicated. If a person looks back to Abraham and follows his example, "he heard Gods voice and followed it!" That's what we all must have, it's a requirement! And then look at what God gave the human race through Moses. A table of stone with Gods character written on it. Hearing Gods voice and "letting" God write his character on our heart is what this life is all about. "That's the essence of following God!" And the Sabbath, believe it or not is the most beautiful part of it all! It's impossible to receive Gods character with out it. It's the center of his commandments and every thing hinges on that one command. Can you imagine receiving His character with out spending time with Him. It's the one day He set aside for us to spend time with Him, no wonder it was the one command the devil was so adamant in destroying:)))

Date: April 11, 2019 06:24PM

I was actually asking lisanneissweet about being an Adventist, but are you one also, Jonathan? Or have you eschewed organized religion altogether(can't blame you if you have!) Do you keep the 7th Day Sabbath? It is a beautiful gift from God. Think of it- the Sabbath and marriage were both instituted by God at creation, before the fall of man. your insights are beautiful.

Date: April 12, 2019 12:17AM

I was raised an Adventist and went to their schools but I have gotten away from religion altogether. I do keep the 7th day sabbath and your right, it's a beautiful gift from God! Are you presently a Seventh Day Adventist, and do you live in the US?

Date: April 12, 2019 06:31AM

Yes....i took my daughter to cradle roll at a SDA church in my neighborhood. I really liked the church but balked at joining, did not trust God enough to hand my life over to him after my cult experience. It wasn't until 17 years later that I tried again with God and asked Him if He would give me another chance. I was baptized into the Adventist church and have been a member for 10 years. I feel they have the truth and I would never seek out another church now. I don't go every week but am fairly involved. But I don't feel like I know Jesus anymore, if I ever did. I have an easier time professing faith in God than in Jesus. Especially in the current political climate, I see Christians as having entirely lost their critical thinking skills and lacking in discernment in what kinds of things they are supporting. I'll just leave at that as this isn't a political forum.

Date: April 12, 2019 11:09AM

Probably the most dangerous thing a person can do is join a church and profess a set of beliefs, "doctrines." Belonging to a church becomes your salvation rather than knowing God, hearing his voice and living his life. Believing in a set of doctrines closes your mind to anything out side of that box. Noah preached something completely outside of the box, so did Jesus. The religious people in Jesus day couldn't except what he had to say, and the same thing with Noah. Jesus never started a cult, he just pointed people to God and showed them how to get connected and sent them on their way. Jesus never advocated for organized religion, ever. That was one reason why the jewish leaders hated him, they saw they were going to loose their power. Jesus said "go to God for your answers." The jewish leaders said "no come to us, read our books and listen to our sermons. let us explain what the scriptures mean." The truth is so different Indigo, from what you are being taught, that the only way you will ever believe it, is to hear it straight from God!!! And when you hear it from God, you will start searching for people who believe like you do. "Who hear His voice."

Posted by: LWFlouisa ()
Date: June 03, 2019 01:36AM

Ah here we go. I was once a part of Billy Meier's cult. I wish I had known this thread had been available.

I dodged a bullet with some other groups, such as The Akhkharu Society, Universal Universalist, and so on.

A couple of specific groups, it's not 100% clear if they're cults.

One of those borderline cult kind of things.

Posted by: csheltri ()
Date: August 13, 2020 06:35AM

Hi, I was part of Shambhala international for 17 years. Anyone who doesn't think it is a cult is wrong. Shambhala's best skills are maintaining an carefully crafted image and disarming critical thinking and criticism. They are extremely careful in choosing who is invited into meaningful leadership positions and therefore most members really don't know what is going on. Their efforts are mostly channeled into attracting a steady stream of young(ish) impressionable members. People have "careers" in Shambhala not spiritual journeys.

Anyone who is been there for 5+ years should ask themselves what (who) has fallen away and what (who) always remains and who actually benefits from the situation. Pema Chodron is a classic and champion legitimizer. In its inception Shambhala had a mission very similar to scientology -- you know the take over goverments kind of crap but much less well thought out because they were just a bunch of hippies. Hippies with a so serious mission are bound to be dangerous.

Current Page: 9 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.