Current Page: 3 of 9
Landmark Grad starts CuddleParty biz
Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: July 18, 2005 10:12AM

glam
Sorry, but I still don't understand what you mean by "sex-negative programming." Are you saying that society programs us to be negative about sex?

yes.

And that "cuddle parties" may sort of release us from that programming?

yes.

the point I had to make though had more to do with pointing out the irrational degree of horror and disgust that some people on this thread have shown to the idea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elena ()
Date: July 18, 2005 07:06PM

I think it's probably more the "party" aspect of the thing. Maybe sort of trivializes the importance of primary human connections that are best carried out in private? It makes me think of the "key parties" depicted in the movie "The Ice Storm." Why would anyone want to expose themselves in this way?

Ellen

Date: July 18, 2005 09:49PM

don't condemn something you wouldn't do, just because you do not understand the motivations behind it. you have overlaid so much of your acculturation. do you consider it morally wrong to cry during a movie along with a whole lot of strangers?

oh, and unlike with the key party, you do get a choice as to who you cuddle with, it says right on the website.

Posted by: Dynamix ()
Date: August 06, 2005 11:58AM

This is creepy. And I don't quite understand why they are allowed to use Landmark's copyrighted language and techniques in their seminars. Wouldn't LE be taking legal action over something like this? And what is up with the fees! 600 bucks to hug a group of strangers over a weekend? This is just wrong on so many levels.

Date: August 07, 2005 01:35AM

they charge $30 per person, not $600. the figure comes from around twenty people times $30 per person. at least according to an article I just found.

where did you find "copyrighted" LEC terminology? not trying to trap you, just honestly curious.

Posted by: Dynamix ()
Date: August 07, 2005 08:58AM

Well, having never having attended one of their cuddle seminars, I honestly can't say that they actually use Landmark techniques.

However just from looking at the 'loaded language' used on their website, I'd say it's a pretty good indicator that (at least in part) their teaching methods are plagiarised.

I've picked out a few quotes:

* lead workshops that leave your participants feeling [b:8d739541a5]touched, open, valued and nurtured[/b:8d739541a5] [i:8d739541a5](this sounds a lot like LE slang: touched, moved an inspired)[/i:8d739541a5]
* generate an environment where women and men communicate more [b:8d739541a5]authentically[/b:8d739541a5]
* [b:8d739541a5]listen profoundly[/b:8d739541a5]

Marcia and Reid are available for private [b:8d739541a5]coaching[/b:8d739541a5] to help you create more intimacy, affection, love, sex and romance in your life.

As someone who's done the Forum, much of the language and the subject matter covered on the site simply smacks of LE. As a requirement of taking any Landmark course, you are required to sign papers agreeing that you will not use LE's copyrighted teaching methods outside of Landmark for profit.

But I can't say for sure if they are intentionally violating that agreement, or if LE is simply such a core part of their lives (as often happens to graduates) that they are unable to think outside of that bubble.

PS: Yes you're correct, the $600 course fees only apply to the training seminar. My mistake!

Date: August 07, 2005 06:57PM

It wouldn't be the first time one of Werner's "followers" struck out on his own. It was happening from the beginning. Funny, when you think about it. After all, Werner "struck out on his own" using Mind Dynamics and scientology. Seems these mind-control businesses are unable to sufficiently control minds in this regard. Or maybe it's the memetic quality or "virus of mind" aspect that possesses the higher "reproductive" imperitive.

Ellen

Date: August 07, 2005 10:51PM

you get a mix of people involved in manipulative groups, the believers and the self-conscious or partially self-conscious manipulators who join up to take advantage.

Posted by: glam ()
Date: August 08, 2005 01:05AM

The cuddle party site sounds very much like LEC-speak. Cuddle Parties were started by an LEC grad, so that's no surprise. It seems he simply found synonyms for many LEC words and phrases to pretend he's created something himself. But then, LEC is a synonym-copy of $cientology, which is undoubtedly cobbled together from somewhere else...after a while I guess it's impossible to keep track of/sue all the people who copycat one another.

Date: August 08, 2005 03:50AM

Acid Reindeer
they charge $30 per person, not $600. the figure comes from around twenty people times $30 per person. at least according to an article I just found.

where did you find "copyrighted" LEC terminology? not trying to trap you, just honestly curious.

If you go the the "official" Landmark website there are some pdf brochures you can download with little copyright symbols next to certain words. As I recall, they were prohibited from using the phrase "strong suits" to descrribe what that call "winning formulas" because the Forumette who came up with that metaphor left and wanted to take her intellectual "property" with her.

Ellen

Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.