Jane Elliot - Racism and LGAT techniques
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: January 25, 2005 10:23AM

Jane Elliot runs a "seminar" about racism. I turned it on, and i thought i was watching a confrontational, bullying and abusive Landmarkian LGAT.
By making people wait in a room, and dividing them up, making them sit on the floor, using social pressure, social shaming, yelling, arguing, yelling, treating them like children, etc, etc.
In a very short time she has brought them to tears.

The point i am making is that these LGAT techniques are now widely known, and can be used for good or ill. Perhaps using them for racism awareness is useful, perhaps not.
But these are the SAME techniques used by Landmark, and everyone else to manipulate people.

These "experiential seminars" can be VERY dangerous for people.

Coz

[www.cbc.ca]

[www.pbs.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ULTAWARE ()
Date: January 25, 2005 01:42PM

Because of other groups using the techniques lead others to use them (IMO) for the same bottom-line aspect.....GREED...thru the somewhat easy way...

PAX

Posted by: SarahL ()
Date: January 29, 2005 04:06AM

I watched the recent documentary on Jane Elliott's work in Canada, I also recall seeing long ago her work with children in the States and then the reunion when that group were adults.

My perspective on this I think differs here from Coz's, let's see if I can get this into words.

Elliott's confrontational work has an upfront purpose, to demonstrate the experience of targeted groups to those who are relatively privileged. This works from a “walk a mile in my shoes” principle. One group is purposefully bullied and challenged, mistreated, giving them a brief taste of what some folks experience daily.

There then is plenty of room for discussion, debriefing. Prejudiced attitudes and assumptions are analyzed and aired out.

The LGAT type actions used are [b:25655c808c]not[/b:25655c808c] presented as good, they are presented as examples of abuse. Elliott is clear that she is being a purposeful bitch during that stage of the work. She is an actor, she portrays the role of the abusive authority.

Does walking a mile in another’s shoes work? Can it open a window into someone else’s experience, someone who is seemingly wholly unlike us? To a degree it has aided me in learning about other folks immensely, other cultures and ways.

I don’t know the after effects of Elliott’s work, haven’t read up on it recently. I don’t know if some of the participants who were bullied find themselves closing down again, or if they are able to use what they learned to further their own growth and expand their compassion for other people.

Was intriguing to see in this recent documentary that the people in power found themselves not wanting to act it out abusively, they said they couldn’t do to others what is done to them daily. They had an opportunity to turn the tables, but found they mostly could not. Touching also to hear the direct experiences of First Nation peoples in Canada, their experience of racism and abuse.

I am curious how she screened this last batch of participants and if there is extensive follow up. And what if some participants find themselves even more close minded, more abusive themselves, because they did not understand the purpose of the exercise and instead have become even more entrenched?

The point i am making is that these LGAT techniques are now widely known, and can be used for good or ill. Perhaps using them for racism awareness is useful, perhaps not.
But these are the SAME techniques used by Landmark, and everyone else to manipulate people.

I agree, it is fascinating to see that what is done in LGATs is done in abusive homes, workplaces........abuse is abuse is abuse. Landmark does it to manipulate and make money, it denies being abusive. Elliott does it in a limited dose to educate, money making not an issue, and she clearly states that she is being a bitch for a purpose for that session.

Landmark and other LGATs work to addict people to come back for more. Elliott's work looks to be about a one time taste of what it is like to walk in another's shoes, the hope then is that participants are able to continue their own education and observations in the world.

Thanks Coz for bringing the documentary up, lots of issues to discuss.

Sarah

[www.cbc.ca]
Worth reading her profile also.

Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: January 29, 2005 01:33PM

I don't know if Elliot's work is helpful or not. It might be...
It was interesting to see that only 2 white-folks came back for a follow-up session.

My general point was that even though people knew what was going to happen... it still worked on them.
She had people in tears in a short period of time.

But i do think that the idea that these intense experiential seminars create change in people is false.
That is the same thing the LGAT sellers sell.

COME FOR THE WEEKEND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER!!!!!!

I doubt that her seminar changed the Beliefs of the few guys that were hostile to her. More than likely, they just got angry at her, and felt they were bullied, tricked and embarrassed on TV.

It reminds me of those "let it all hang out" Encounter Groups.
Sure, they make good Drama, but do they work?

I am not saying that there is something wrong with Elliot and her work.
BUT, i do think it would be very unethical to do that to children. It reminds of the "prison experiment".

But that being said, my general point was that these LGAT techniques are being used everywhere, and of course those that use them think and say they are useful.

But i don't think they are.
I don't see the evidence that they produce any long term change in people.

Coz

Posted by: SarahL ()
Date: January 29, 2005 02:07PM

But that being said, my general point was that these LGAT techniques are being used everywhere, and of course those that use them think and say they are useful.

But i don't think they are.
I don't see the evidence that they produce any long term change in people.

Good point, and I'm rethinking my perspective on both Elliott's work and other uses of LGAT techniques. Reminds me also to discern between the cause and the techniques. I might agree with the cause, in this case -racism awareness and education-, but not the methods used.

Posted by: hsuchij ()
Date: January 29, 2005 02:51PM

Hi, Coz

You made an excellent point on people's short term change during or immediately after those intensive courses. On the last night of LGAT, three people came into my room to discuss certain issues with me.

First one was my course leader. She asked me if I would bring any of my family members to the organization. I said I would think about it. Then she mentioned that, if I was so transformed, my logic should tell me to invite my family members to join.

Second one was my group partner. A career sales person who I had good impression. He came into my room and we talked about the experience. He said that, if those female in the class were so transformed, we should take advantages of them. I kind of remembered that this person has a family and how much he loves his family. When I heard his transformation, I told him something about female right movement.

Third guy was from another group. He told me how much he wanted for power. He was an ex-cop. He told me that, if I was so transformed, I should speak out loud that I could be a big shot in a company one day.

I don't mean that those person are trying to lure me or anything. But I believe my acceptance impulses were caused by short term change. I was on very close call to agreeing all of them.

Can people make a small mistake and be blamed for a long time? A relative of mine made a small verbal mistake and was accounted and bashed for what he said for almost 20 yrs. I woke up the other day dreaming that he wasn't meant to say those words.

Do you know any organization practice this: if transformation doesn't work, let the short term changes do the job? I think it could be permanently fatal as well.

Hsuchi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.