Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Deprogramming after Landmark
Posted by: patrick-darcy ()
Date: January 05, 2005 09:38PM

what u posted would be great, im just saying that because
of the purchasing power of money, it will be difficult.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Savernake ()
Date: January 07, 2005 01:32PM

Cruisader
You are tricked into thinking it's cool to make choices and uncool to make decisions.

Forgive me if this was explained elsewhere and I've missed it... but what's the difference between a choice and a decision?

Posted by: sonnie_dee ()
Date: January 07, 2005 07:28PM

savernake - according to landmark decisions are based on too much thinking and looking at all options and consequences while a choice is just that a choice with out thinking you make a choice with out thought of anything else.

Landmark use the example chocolate or vanilla - choose. if you have a reason why you have chosen its not a choice

hope this explains it for you

Posted by: glam ()
Date: January 07, 2005 11:16PM

Simply another twisting of a definition used to get people to give up thinking for themselves...

Posted by: Ertras ()
Date: January 07, 2005 11:35PM

glam
Simply another twisting of a definition used to get people to give up thinking for themselves...

Hmm, I would tend to agree although I do see how this procress/distinction can have some value. I believe the difference in ways of thinking is even discussed in mental health philosophy/psycology and I have heard it suggested that diseases such as schizophrenia can result from an overuse of the 'reasoning' 'rational' way of thinking and a neglect of the 'intuitive', 'impulse' way of thinking.

[Please forgive the above for being a gross simplification and summary of an idea that I may not have fully understood.]

I can see how what landmark calls 'decisions' can create negative consequences. I often 'talk myself out of' doing things I know I should do (such as going for a jog) and 'talk myself into' doing things I know I shouldn't do (such as eating a big cream cake) when I use logic and reason to decide what to do (because its easy to invent reasons not to go jogging, for example).

I would guess that the important point which Landmark misses is that it is probably a balance that we should seek - that we shouldn't rely wholly in reasoning and logical analysis when we make decisions but nor should we forsake logic and rational thought and make all decisions impulsively or instinctively.

What do you guys think, any sense in that?

Posted by: Toyer ()
Date: January 09, 2005 01:40PM

Extras - Your definition of reason escapes me. I would consider your decision to not go jogging when you should is not an overuse of reason, but faulty reason itself. It's not "overthinking" or excessive use of reason and logic that is out of balance, it's faulty logic.

The antonym in the situation we are talking about to logic and reason would be [i:0144edb839]choosing not to think[/i:0144edb839]. This is a prime tool that Landmark and other cult-like groups (along with advertising, television, much business management, most politicians, religion, etc.) use to manipulate people. To get you to suspend, or abandon your cognitive reasoning, and do as you're told. Subversively, or otherwise.

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.