Current Page: 2 of 4
What the "Bleep" do we know, How is it related to
Posted by: nutrino ()
Date: February 03, 2006 02:27AM

This new philosophy gives participants a sense of infantile omnipotence where everything becomes possible, and where you become fully responsible for your own choices (being rich, poor, sick, healthy, or being hit by a truck!”.

No consideration is given to the wholesale incoherence of such a belief. Do all minds go about creating their reality ? Then do monkeys create reality too ?, do they create the predators that eat them ? Do the predators create the monkeys that they kill and eat ? Perhaps only higher primates are qualified, chimpanzees formulating their limited realities, or if lesser creatures also qualify, clams perhaps ? Are clams generating clamspace around them ? Are creative viruses manifesting humans to share herpes simplex II ?, as there must have been much of back in the '70s when herpes was epidemic.... then, what is the consequence of 7 billion or so bona fide humans all simultaneously creating reality ? Don't these reality creations bump into each other ? Do they cancel each other out ? Is a consensus more deserving of reality than an indiviual opinion or observation, since it would have more '"reality mass"... so, Pasteur would have been wrong because there was less of his reality at the time ? Until Pasteur living things "really" underwent spontaneous generation ? Space "really" was filled with ether ? Diseases "really" were caused by miasmas ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: midonov123 ()
Date: February 03, 2006 05:07AM

nutrino

This new philosophy gives participants a sense of infantile omnipotence where everything becomes possible, and where you become fully responsible for your own choices (being rich, poor, sick, healthy, or being hit by a truck!”.

No consideration is given to the wholesale incoherence of such a belief. Do all minds go about creating their reality ? Then do monkeys create reality too ?, do they create the predators that eat them ? Do the predators create the monkeys that they kill and eat ? Perhaps only higher primates are qualified, chimpanzees formulating their limited realities, or if lesser creatures also qualify, clams perhaps ? Are clams generating clamspace around them ? Are creative viruses manifesting humans to share herpes simplex II ?, as there must have been much of back in the '70s when herpes was epidemic.... then, what is the consequence of 7 billion or so bona fide humans all simultaneously creating reality ? Don't these reality creations bump into each other ? Do they cancel each other out ? Is a consensus more deserving of reality than an indiviual opinion or observation, since it would have more '"reality mass"... so, Pasteur would have been wrong because there was less of his reality at the time ? Until Pasteur living things "really" underwent spontaneous generation ? Space "really" was filled with ether ? Diseases "really" were caused by miasmas ?

According to some physicists like Henry Stapp, what we call the "quantum collapse" is caused by an act consciousness. This determines the "present now" that we are experiencing. If there were no consciousness, there would be no collapse and everything would be fixed in space and time... for whatever that means. The key point here is that consciousness creates reality according to these new theories.

I love what Elena has posted in another thread. She says that the worst insult a scientologist can utter is "I could disappear you with a thought", and they really believe they can "create" reality this way. These are the same beliefs, so common to many New Age gurus.

Date: February 03, 2006 05:21AM

According to some physicists like Henry Stapp, what we call the "quantum collapse" is caused by an act consciousness. This determines the "present now" that we are experiencing. If there were no consciousness, there would be no collapse and everything would be fixed in space and time... for whatever that means. The key point here is that consciousness creates reality according to these new theories.

I don't know of any univeral law that prohibits physicists from thinking ridiculous things. Quantum collapse, my fat ass. The brain is a highly evolved mapping and predicting organ. For example, there are no colors in nature. Color is a function of the brain's capacity to map an interpretation (such as blueness, greenness, redness) onto specific bandwiths of photonic energy. In THAT sense, consciousness creates PRIVATE reality.

What these morons are doing is equating the brain's ability to generate private reality with an abilty to modify public reality. In the pre-cambrian phase did early life forms with only the most rudimentary nervous systems somehow give rise to the solar system, the galaxy, the steaming ball of magma that cooled down into the earth ? That then provided the substrate that they evolved from ? These are asinine, untenable philosophical contortions that don't merit more than passing consideration. The fact that entire organizations of educated, rational adults traffic in such mental excrement is wholly beyond me.

Posted by: LuG ()
Date: February 03, 2006 10:42AM

I was in an online discussion with a true believer in LGAT's who happened to disagree with the contents of the website I maintain.

She said:

Reality doesn't exist, there are only interpretations.

Now, how can anyone come up with an answer for that? :roll:

(She urged me to see the movie, btw)

Posted by: elena ()
Date: February 03, 2006 01:33PM

LuG
I was in an online discussion with a true believer in LGAT's who happened to disagree with the contents of the website I maintain.

She said:

Now, how can anyone come up with an answer for that? :roll:

(She urged me to see the movie, btw)

What is it that you are interpreting?

Ellen

Date: February 03, 2006 03:05PM

That's bargain basement Neitzche for you.... if that were correct, if the universe were denuded of all sentient beings, it would cease to exist. It goes back to this private reality versus public reality issue. The brain generates a "thick" interpretive layer over what some philosophers call "brute reality".... that means that the brain does such an exquisite job of translating brute reality, photons, vibrations, molecules floating in the gases that surround us, and integrating those into coherent experience, that normally we are completely unconscious of this activity.

That in no way, shape, or form denies the existence of brute reality, i.e. gravitation, mass, energy, real things "out there" that might be real in an utterly different way to a dog, or a shark, or a bee, but brute reality is still very much out there and our survival very much depends on interacting with it in intelligent ways.

Nor does private subjectivity deny the existence of social reality, no matter what your interpretation is, you aren't walking into the building at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and announcing that you are now the President of The United States... is not going to happen, so sorry.

You might say that there may only be interpretations, but not all interpretations are created equal. High quality interpretations lead to high quality outcomes, low quality interpretations lead to low quality outcomes.
That's why reasonable people spend large sums of money to obtain good educations. So they can generate better interpretations of.... social and physical reality. Sheeeesh.

Posted by: Murph ()
Date: February 03, 2006 09:22PM

"What the bleep..." is absolute rubbish. Avoid any person or group who is making use of this movie. They don't know what they're talking about.

Posted by: Wright_Again ()
Date: February 03, 2006 11:17PM

nutrino
That's why reasonable people spend large sums of money to obtain good educations. So they can generate better interpretations of.... social and physical reality. Sheeeesh.

Thanks for sharing! :wink:

I have spent a great deal of time and effort to get a good education in order to actually accomplish an effective change for a lot of people's reality. I don't just sit around and try to raise my "awareness" of things, I actually apply effort to understand how things work in order to alter reality in some small way.

As far as how people perceive things, follow the link to understand how such simple things as tracking an object is something most of us take for granted.

[www.hhmi.org]

Posted by: MercurialMere ()
Date: February 05, 2006 12:36AM

I have been perusing this forum since yesterday, but was compelled to register by this thread.

I work for a company whose management participates regularly in the Landmark forums. I was cajoled into going to a meeting, an experience I'll save for a more relevant thread.

After reading this thread, I remembered an interesting tidbit. A few weeks ago, before I was invited to the introductory seminar, one of the women recommended that I see "What the Bleep..." and actually asked me again last week if I had rented it yet. This thread really struck a chord, because I realized how deeply ingrained the Landmark "philosophy" becomes in people's lives; in my case, she was recruiting even during a normal, unrelated conversation about movie rentals, probably without realizing it.

Thanks to everyone for their insights into this. I was so shocked to see this movie show up in a thread title and am grateful to know of its relevance to the Landmark program. It's one movie that I [i:1d036d3e77]won't [/i:1d036d3e77] be renting this weekend!

Posted by: elena ()
Date: February 05, 2006 03:08AM

MercurialMere
I have been perusing this forum since yesterday, but was compelled to register by this thread.

I work for a company whose management participates regularly in the Landmark forums. I was cajoled into going to a meeting, an experience I'll save for a more relevant thread.

After reading this thread, I remembered an interesting tidbit. A few weeks ago, before I was invited to the introductory seminar, one of the women recommended that I see "What the Bleep..." and actually asked me again last week if I had rented it yet. This thread really struck a chord, because I realized how deeply ingrained the Landmark "philosophy" becomes in people's lives; in my case, she was recruiting even during a normal, unrelated conversation about movie rentals, probably without realizing it.

Thanks to everyone for their insights into this. I was so shocked to see this movie show up in a thread title and am grateful to know of its relevance to the Landmark program. It's one movie that I [i:c73759d0c1]won't [/i:c73759d0c1] be renting this weekend!

Greetings,

Whenever you feel like it, we'd be interested to hear what you thought of the whole experience. Had you ever heard of Landmark before this job? How did you connect the dots between Landmark and this website?

Ellen

Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.