Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
LE and the "The Matrix" Analogy
Posted by: MartinH ()
Date: October 10, 2007 02:52AM

Zorro
MartinH,

What were they saying about Mother Teresa's work? I don't recall much if anything.

Now at the Center where I took Landmark they were always referring to Ghandi and his great work. They seemed to be really into the whole passive resistance thing....mainly getting people to be passive.

Which I can only see two things from it. Passive to the state that a person doesn't have any built in resistance left and blindly accepts Landmark ideology. The second just being out right Passive Agressive.

in my SELP, Mother Theresa was used in the context: "don't do a Mother Theresa like project", this is a racket, rather something that inspires you ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: maurice ()
Date: October 10, 2007 04:00AM

MartinH

What were they saying about Mother Teresa's work? I don't recall much if anything.

There are many objections that a guest or a rebel landmarkian can raise in their classes. One of the most hated is the 'for-profit' argument.
It goes like "if you are all about love, commitment and saving the world, why do you charge people? why don't you go non-profit? If your 'technology' is so great and can do so much good, why don't you share it for free? after all, all you need is a room and a group of people listening for three days. Isn't it a contradiction to make money out of something that is claimed to be all about love and selflessness?"

Now, Mother Theresa happens to be a very good contemporary example of that kind of charity, love and compassion. She helped so many asking nothing back, just for love's sake. And she preached love and charity just for love's sake.
For a landmarkian, "love FOR FREE" is an idea not only illogical, but totally repulsive. So if you mention them Mother Theresa, expect some vile comments from them on her and her work.

For the guests, the answers are always on the line of: "oh, we would love to be non-profit, but we need to pay rents and salaries." [yes. they charge so much because of the salaries. Why, what did you think?]
For the heretics, they're running rackets and trying to 'look good'. As a landmarkian 'wonderfully' put it to me when I expressed my 'love shouldn't come for a fee' point of view to her, "You are naive! NO ONE does anything for free. NO ONE does anything just for love without asking anything back! How can you be so stupid to believe that?". I stood by my opinion, and out of politeness I avoided saying that I felt sorry for her.

Posted by: maurice ()
Date: October 10, 2007 04:05AM

Sorry i think the quote was originally from Zorro and not Martin

Re: LE and the "The Matrix" Analogy
Posted by: vlinden ()
Date: February 01, 2008 02:54PM

My newly minted Landmarkian boyfriend also keeps comparing the forum to Fight Club.

I don't care what anyone says, Fight Club is the antithesis of the Forum. If anything the author used Landmark as grist for his mill, which is why he stayed to take the course. If anyone has actually seen the movie I have no idea how they could ever imagine anything different.

But shit, no one in Landmark seems capable of rational thought.

Fight Club made absolute fun of "self help" remember? All the seminars in the beginning were jokes, and finally he blows up his apartment and becomes a terrorist for chrissake, how the hell does this support Landmark??

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.